Your Dream Trip

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
OK...so if you had an opportunity to paddle anywhere in the world, where would it be? What would be the ideal trip for you and why?

Basically...where and why?

I'll start it off...

Ummm...it wouldn't be anywhere in Africa or Europe. We're talking the ultimate trip here...so South America might be out too although I would like to visit Argentina or Chile (I think they only have class IV rapids and up there :eek:) Any type of "jungle" environment is definitely OUT for me. Hate bugs...big bugs.

I think I'm leaning north. Yes...perhaps the coast of Russia, Kamchatka and the Kuril islands, the perimeter of the Sea of Okhotsk. That would be it for me. A trip of this caliber would require mad skills though in a sea kayak in open water. I don't have mad skills. But I could acquire them over time...such as the Eskimo roll.

But yeah, somewhere in that area...and inland up a river there as well for a while. I get the impression that it is a very rarely visited part of the world untouched by many where people ares still living the way they have for thousands of years. The whole idea of traveling through an area that has not changed physically for millions of years amazes me. Yeah, the glaciers were there but those volcanoes and mountains have been there long before. There's my "why."

Your turn if you want.

OK...so if you had an opportunity to paddle anywhere in the world, where would it be? What would be the ideal trip for you and why?

I think I'm leaning north. Yes...perhaps the coast of Russia, Kamchatka and the Kuril islands, the perimeter of the Sea of Okhotsk. That would be it for me. A trip of this caliber would require mad skills though in a sea kayak in open water. I don't have mad skills. But I could acquire them over time...such as the Eskimo roll.

But yeah, somewhere in that area...and inland up a river there as well for a while. I get the impression that it is a very rarely visited part of the world untouched by many where people ares still living the way they have for thousands of years. The whole idea of traveling through an area that has not changed physically for millions of years amazes me. Yeah, the glaciers were there but those volcanoes and mountains have been there long before. There's my "why."

Your turn if you want.
I'd prefer to get deep into northern inland rivers rather than coastal stuff. I've done the Yukon 3 times now, but not all the way to the sea. Finishing might be a good completion of that river, but the lower few hundred miles don't look all that interesting. However, I passed by a few very interesting looking tributaries along the way. Near Fort Yukon, the Porcupine River for example looks like a good one to get into.

I might really like to do the kind of trip these guys are doing next summer across northern Canada. They have some pretty good video trip reports of past expeditions.

I'd prefer to get deep into northern inland rivers rather than coastal stuff. I've done the Yukon 3 times now, but not all the way to the sea. Finishing might be a good completion of that river, but the lower few hundred miles don't look all that interesting. However, I passed by a few very interesting looking tributaries along the way. Near Fort Yukon, the Porcupine River for example looks like a good one to get into.

I might really like to do the kind of trip these guys are doing next summer across northern Canada. They have some pretty good video trip reports of past expeditions.

Wow...can I change my mind? ;)

Are you from Canada? How do you organize such a trip as paddling the Yukon? Cost? How many in your party? Can I come next time?

Wow...can I change my mind? ;)

Are you from Canada? How do you organize such a trip as paddling the Yukon? Cost? How many in your party? Can I come next time?
I'm from the Adirondacks.
There are 3 Yukon races...

Yukon River Quest

Yukon 1000

Yukon 360

I have done the YRQ once and the Y1K twice. Each time in a Voyageur canoe.

Organize by talking to the race committee directors and communicating with other teams. You will need to verify near-equivalent experience before being allowed in the Y1K. If you plan to compete (and survive), expect to train extensively beginning the previous year and through the winter. With very few exceptions, every weekend after ice-out should include some component of solo or team marathon paddle training until race date.

Cost is highly dependent on travel arrangements, local lodging before/after the events, support of any pit crew, food, etc., etc, etc.

It is easy to go on a non-race recreational trip, start from Whitehorse. Local outfitters there are excellent and will provide everything you need for a variety of different length trips. Try Kanoe People or Up North.

Go once to the Yukon and it will call you back again and again. ;)

Last edited:
I have little desire to travel outside of North America to paddle or hike, partly because of the hassle of flying and the limits on the equipment I can carry, but mostly because I'll never exhaust the tremendous opportunities right here where language, customs, culture and friendliness have never been a problem.

My paddle destinations seek relatively quiet waters, wildlife, a historical connection, unique scenery free from development, reasonably accessible launches and campsites and a sense of remoteness and solitude (though the company of others with similar interest is important). River routes that have a connection to historical migrations or Native American trade and pass through undeveloped areas are appealing. A good saloon in the area is a definite plus.

Accordingly, I have a large number of destinations right here in Northern New England. I also have a long list in Florida which consists of both bay/estuary and spring run/river destinations. Missouri Breaks in Montana, a destination we had to change this past summer due to extraordinary river levels, is still on my list as are a few other western locations. I'm sure when we head to Alaska in a couple years there'll be a paddle trip or two in the plans.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me as to the draw, besides the remote possibility of seeing wolf, of paddling the Boundary Waters Canoe Wilderness ... strikes me as the the same boreal forest we have in New England but without the mountains. Oh yes, and a dayhike from a paddle in trailhead is a definite draw.

Did I mention a good saloon ....

We do a lot of road trips and forever spotting interesting rivers worth finding out more about. Traveling with a boat is a big plus ... I guess it would be even better to travel with a car spot, too!

Happy paddling everyone, and dreaming and planning for it, too.

I would like to:

Circumnavigate the Anticosti island

Paddle entire Maine Island Trail

Circumnavigate Jersey Island

(In no particular order)

Jersey Island

Yes off the coast of France. I did some research and I like the geography combined with the combination of camping out and staying at a B&B. I think I would also like the culture of the inhabitants. Close to France but still under the British.

My dream trip is having IndianChris do everything for me on the trip. Paddle, portage, cook, fire starter, carry gear. I'll help him out with the beverages ;)

My dream trip is having IndianChris do everything for me on the trip. Paddle, portage, cook, fire starter, carry gear. I'll help him out with the beverages ;)

You forgot "Read me a bedtime story." HAHAHAHA

Just glad you didn't say anything about pitching your tent too :eek:

Now now.

No problem. Stick with me kid...I'll take care of ya. HAHAHA :D

I'd love to paddle anywhere there's clear blue open water, Ocean or Sound preferably with islands to camp on. :)

I'm very happy on the LI Sound, it's in my backyard, but the water is just so plain old downright filthy. :eek: