Yucky Photo Quiz, of sorts

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond

Reaction score
My gut is telling me no... but my gut is also very
What is going on in the water in these photos? Rock snot?

2488241920097475956S600x600Q85.jpg

2493337580097475956S600x600Q85.jpg

The upper picture is a stream that intersects the Dix Trail coming from Elk Lake, the lower picture is a puddle caused by ATVs near Black Nubble in Maine.

The orange stream(s) crossed by the Dix trail in the Adirondacks likely are discolored by some sort of iron-based leachate. Over the years I have seen them in quite vivid array at times, and at others, somewhat more subdued. The streams have been there a long time -- they are mentioned in the 1960s era Seventh edition of the ADK guidebook, which also notes the water has a foul odor. Foul odor I’ve picked up at these crossings strikes me as being associated with some kind of sulfur compounds. The streams are crossed near the bottom of the Macomb slides, which may have something to do with the discoloration.

I don’t know what to make of the picture from Maine.

G.

Agree with Grumpy about the top photo. The rust-colored, iron rich water is not uncommon in the mountains ...... I've seen it many times ....... although never as orange and "thick-looking" as in your pic. Pete Hickey posted before on this and can probably provide more info.

The photo from Maine is bizarre. Could it be pollution? Old engine coolant or transmission fluid perhaps??