Zealand Notch and Mt. Whitewall

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
After looking at Mt. Whitewall many times from Zeacliff, thinking it would be a nice hike, and after reading New Hampshire's TR describing a large glade of birch and hobblebush on the northern slope, I had to try it.

Thursday, I started out but did not have enough time, so I returned today and had a wonderful hike. There were fleeting rainbows in Crawford Notch on the ride up to Zealand.

It was a good time for the Silver Cascades...

zealand062.jpg

a quick visit to Wildlife Pond...no moose...Middle Sugarloaf in the background..

zealand004.jpg

a little freind on the Zealand Trail to the Falls...

zealand091.jpg

a cow moose was snoozing about 30' from the trail and she didn't hear me coming. Moose can be seen from the trail if you're quiet and observant...

zealand095.jpg

close up...still snoozing...

zealand158.jpg

I let her know I was there as gently as possible, but she jumped up and trotted down the slope.

a view of the eastern slope of Zeacliff...

zealand119.jpg

a northern harrier was cruising over the notch...

1601.jpg

The climb up the slide was fun. I was able to avoid sending any rocks down the slope. Here's a look up near the top of the slide...

zealand012.jpg

The views from the top are really beautiful. I couldn't do it justice with pics because the contrast was crazy. But the eye has no problem with contrast. The views are just beautiful, especially toward Carrigain Notch...

zealand071.jpg

zealand039.jpg

continued...

Last edited:
Mt. Bond and Mt. Guyot are frosty on top...

zealand044.jpg

Next September, I'll be back for an overnight. This is a beautiful summit. Now for the best part of the hike, the bushwack down through birch glades with ferns and hobblebush. The color and the atmosphere is incredible.

zealand091a.jpg

It's like being in a moose neighborhood. I found about a dozen wallows...

zealand103.jpg

In this wallow, I noticed a large toad burying himself in the soft mud of the wallow. I wonder if this is because of the season, if he's about to dig in for the season. I wonder if moose wallows are popular with toads.

zealand102.jpg

I made big wide zigzags all the way down the northern slope, enjoying the beautiful colors of the birches, ferns and hobblebush...

zealand099.jpg

zealand109.jpg

I finally emerged at Zealand Pond without ever using a compass, after an initial sighting on a distant mountain up at the beginning. That is an extremely pleasant place to hike.

happy trails :)

Beautiful shots! Love how your photos bring out those reds!

But, please help... I give up.... where the heck is Wildlife Pond? I must have been hiking Zealand with my eyes closed all these years! :confused:

Thanks, GK! The slide was easy enough but there is alot of unstable rock. The pitch is not difficult, but just take care not to send rocks falling toward the trail :eek:

NeoAkela, Wildlife pond is a short walk from the trailhead for the Sugarloafs. Taks the dirt road across the street and bare right at a fork. My wife and I listened to two groups of coyotes yipping and howling to each other at sunset last year.

Which slide did you go up? Here is a picture of Whitewall taken from Zeacliff almost a year ago.

There is a small slide on the left (north) and a larger slide on the right (south) with a bluff on its south side causing shadow in picture. Is the longer right slide the one you went up?

I passed that slide about twelve years ago and said to myself I've got to get up there some day. I haven't done it yet but may have to soon.

AndyF said:
Which slide did you go up? Here is a picture of Whitewall taken from Zeacliff almost a year ago.

There is a small slide on the left (north) and a larger slide on the right (south) with a bluff on its south side causing shadow in picture. Is the longer right slide the one you went up?

I passed that slide about twelve years ago and said to myself I've got to get up there some day. I haven't done it yet but may have to soon.
Courtesy of 7Summits:

0map.jpg

Brian

Fabulous! I think hobblebush was invented to please us hikin' leafpeepers. And Whitewall has probably never had such a tribute paid to its beauty as by FG and NH. I'm praying for good weather next week.

Yes, that would be the slide that I climbed.

Please be careful, as I'm sure we always are, of alpine plants out on the open ledge. I noticed quite a bit of silverling, which is listed as threatened in NH...

zealand074.jpg

Last edited:
Oh my! I'll definitely have to bring the good camera when I make this trip (though it's doubtful I'll take as amazing pictures)

These are truly incredible photos. So beautiful! Seeing this kind of beauty while I'm sitting at work behind a computer is a gift. My favorite is the toad, and the snake, and the two with the birch trees, and the one of Wildlife Pond, and...ok, no favorite, each one is spectacular!

Thank you for sharing what you see with us.

-katie