Zealand via Zealand Tr & Twinway--> Watercrossings

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighHorse

Reaction score
Anybody been on the trail recently and seen the water crossings on Zealand Trail? How are they? Anyone with any experience on the trail have any past knowledge of the crossings?
Good looking out.
-Reggie Noble

HighHorse said:
Anybody been on the trail recently and seen the water crossings on Zealand Trail? How are they? Anyone with any experience on the trail have any past knowledge of the crossings?
Good looking out.
-Reggie Noble

I haven't been on recently, but let me try to answer this as best as possible.

Water crossings on the Zealand Trail aren't bad in normal and even wet conditions. Most of the big ones have bridges over them. The smaller ones can easily be rock hopped. I can only think of one that could be somewhat difficult in real high water...about halfway in. I'd say the hardest crossing is just above Zealand Falls...which isnt that bad. Both times I've had to jump across a fast moving channel of water but the worst that could happen is getting your feet wet. As for the Twinway, I don't remember too many stream crossings between South Twin and Zealand Hut but I bet you the fresh new snow/ old snow will be rapidly melting up high so trails will be quite muddy in sections above 3500 ft. My two cents.

grouseking

This past Sunday the crossing at the top of Zealand Falls was pretty safe.
A week earlier the caretaker told us about some boyscouts who crossed roped together in waist deep water :eek:

I also have not been, however, after the crossing above the hut there is no running water per se to cross. What you likely will find on top of Zeacliff & in many spots is standing water & mud. In spots the trail may look like a small brook too.

After reading trail reports, I've heard there has been snow in them thar hills. One report said there was snow on Hale (close by). Chances are, you will probably encounter a little wet snow up by Zealand Mtn if not some very muddy conditions.

grouseking

grouse et al...
thanks for the help... i went today. actually, last time i was in the area, one of the main zealand tr. bridges was out.... Actually the Twinway crossing above the hut was a little scary. The water was high, and it was whipping through. LOTS of water everywhere--at elevation there was patchy snow, then regular snow that became slush fast. The whole Twinway after Zeacliff is a slush festival. Thanks for the info.