Zealand

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarpy

Reaction score
It has been a few months since I've hiked on a nice day where I could actually see more that thirty feet. I decided to take last Thursday (10/18) off & head north. You would think that being my own boss I could do that anytime I want. That does not happen very often for one reason or another.:mad:
One of my favorite rituals is going down in the basement the night before a hike, getting all my gear together & looking through the WMG with the maps and picking my destination (with a cold beer by my side). Decided on Zealand. I've been through the flat area before but never made it to the cliff & summit. Turned out to be a perfect day. Hit the trail at 7:30 under beautiful skies & no wind. The first 2.5 miles up to the hut are a pleasant and very flat stroll through woods and beaver ponds. Spotted a moose in the marsh next to the new bridge. Tried to get a picture but he would not cooperate. Made the cliff by 9AM. It is a beautiful spot to have a snack & coffee. The summit is a fairly flat mile & a half from the cliff. It has a very isolated & wild feel to it & I was really being pulled to keep going to Guoyot & beyond. I resisted only because I was meeting a group of friends for golf later in the day. Only saw three people all day. Weekday hiking is great! I am making a vow to do it at least once a month starting now. I'll post pictures tonight.

I'm jealous. I would love to be able to get away on a weekday and not have to pray every weekend for a decent days weather to hike in.

I'm jealous. I would love to be able to get away on a weekday and not have to pray every weekend for a decent days weather to hike in.

Seems like we're doing this a lot these days. It even rained on our vacation when we were in Montana. Not to take away from the Zealand hike, but we were camping and I think maybe six drops fell on us whilel we were eating dinner.

Nice going, taking a day off in the week.

Absolutely, one of my favorite times for hikin is the week prior to, and after, the Columbus Day wallabahoo and the peepers are gone. Nothin like the trails to yourself during the week, or any other time. Look forward to pics.

Very beautiful pics. Intense. Thanks for posting them.