Zipperless Sleeping Bag

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny how the Golite bag is more than twice the weight of the TNF bag...

Going the "el cheapo" route was my only option to get myself into a new bag, and I'm pleasantly surprised by my Lafuma Patrol Light. It's extra long so I can stretch out my 6'1" frame in there, and at only $29 it's a steal. It does have a full length zipper; necessary for someone like me who is warm at 45 degrees. My only complaint is that the liner material is a brushed poly that tends to stick to clothing when rolling around. (I'm a very mobile sleeper.)

If money was no option, though, the TNF bag would be the one I'd go for. I'd just be concerned with not being able to vent the bag when needed. (especially after a bunch of dried fruit...)

Bags and bags

First off, I have quite a lot of North Face stuff, but you can't pay full price for TNF gear. Campmor has had the Propel at a good discount for a while now. It's about $10 more at REI.

I have been considering this bag too, but it's hard to imagine being comfortable over a range of temps without being able to at least vent the side.

For another minimalist synthetic, you might look at this one at REI, but it wouldn't be as warm.

If you are going to shell out that kind of moola then consider a Western Mountaineering Linelite:
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/bagdetail.cfm/WE2325
It's 14 oz and $205
It packs down to a size that I'd estimate about between a football and a softball.
I have one and I'm fairly happy with it. A zipperless bag will NOT give you a wide temp range. This bag however has a drawcord on the bottom and you can open it up to help regulate your heat. It's kind of neat since you can use it as a summer bag but you can also use it as a liner to supplement another bag and you can wear it as a large vest. I have been warm in this bag down to about 42 degrees, however, I AM a very warm sleeper so YMMV.

Last edited:
A full zipper was one of the features I looked for when I shopped for a summer bag earlier this year, ending up with a WM Caribou. I used it unzipped as a blanket at least a third of the time and half zipped another third.

I have a Mountain Hardware Phantom bag - rated at 35 degrees, but I have used it in temps between 25 and 35 and have been very comfortable. It has a 3/4 zipper, and in warmer temps, I unzip the bag and place it on top of me (opened). Sometimes, I will slip my feet inside the bag, but I haven't found the 3/4 zipper to be a problem in warmer temps. The bag weighs in at 1 pound 6 ounces, so it's lighter than most. It is a bit pricey - I paid $230 for it - but well worth it. Stuffs into a size similar to a football. When I put it in my sleeping bag compartment in my pack, there is still plenty of room for my thermarest (ProLite), and most of my extra clothes (including rain gear).

Kelty Light Year

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=29027644

This is the bag I use for my summer bag. For 2 lb, and $130, you get a lot of bag. The best part of this bag is that it has a zipper at the bottom, which helps regulate heat, as well as allowing you to walk around the leanto as needed. The other great thing about this bag is the DWR coating, which really keeps the condensation (dew) from getting into the down. I also use this bag as an outer shell bag with another 15 degree bag (marmot) in the winter. The Kelty is fairly wide, which makes it comfortable in the summer, and big enough to fit another bag inside. FOUR STARS.

-percious

Good suggestions, everyone. THANKS!
One thing I forgot to mention is that I'm leaning heavily towards synthetic because I may be going on an extended backpacking trip in a lot of potential sogginess. I think synth will serve me better in those conditions.

Unless...anyone out there has an almost foolproof system for keeping a donw bag dry...

Also, does anyone have any experince with a fleece bag? What temps could I expect to be cozy in?

I've been using a $10 Wal Mart fleece blanket/full zip bag. They're great for car camping, but it's bulky and heavy.

I've been kind of looking for a synthetic warm weather bag recently. I've somewhat ignored zipperless bags and was only partially concrned about weight since it was primarily for paddling. This Exped bag looked interesting especially if it can be a liner for another bag as well. I never really liked the idea of no zipper on a bag. At the point I'm looking at a light zipperless I'd start thinking a quilt may be better.

Never got down wet wet, but I don't mention that much. It will happen, I'm pretty much always aware of that. Sometimes I use a plastic bag or pack liner, but more frequently it's just in a silnylon sack or one of the OR hydroseal compression sacks. If I have camp shoes with me, those are on the bottom of the pack, the sleeping bag above that. In camp it gets sealed in the bivy and used as a blanket or I'm in it.

jbrown said:
Funny how the Golite bag is more than twice the weight of the TNF bag...

Going the "el cheapo" route was my only option to get myself into a new bag, and I'm pleasantly surprised by my Lafuma Patrol Light. It's extra long so I can stretch out my 6'1" frame in there, and at only $29 it's a steal. It does have a full length zipper; necessary for someone like me who is warm at 45 degrees. My only complaint is that the liner material is a brushed poly that tends to stick to clothing when rolling around. (I'm a very mobile sleeper.)

How do you like the bag overall? I have been using a LL Bean 25 degree and it's way too warm in fall. I'm looking for a 3 sason bag that won't make me sweat.

Great verse!