Algonquin, Iroquois, Wright 4-19-08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMax

Reaction score
Avatar is on Gannett Peak, Wyoming's high point.
Date of Hike: Saturday April 19

Trail Conditions: Still not TOO bad... From HPIC to the Algonquin/Marcy split it's mostly icy and muddy. The lower section of the trail up to Alg is very wet and very muddy. Almost no snow cover. Once you get a little elevation, there's still lots of snow and a good spine, even later in the day when everything was incredibly soft in the near 70 degree heat, there was still no major sinking with snowshoes. Above tree line, it's mostly bare rock. From Alg to Ir there's still support in the snow. I only dropped into one spruce trap (but that one was a doozy, up to my chest) but if you don't choose your footing well, you'll find there are many more waiting to swallow people up! Boundary and Ir are bare and dry (i.e. snowshoes on, snowshoes off...). Trail up to Wright until you hit tree line is in pretty bad shape. It's quite chewed up by postholes and running water. Above tree line is completely bare and mostly dry.

Special Equipment Required: Still need snowshoes!

Comments: Too hot today! Lots of folks on the trail with sneakers and shorts:confused: . Butt sliding is still awesome coming off Iroquois:D .