Boot comparable to the Montrail Moraine?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilhanz

Reaction score
It's finally time to retire my old Montrail Moraine boots. In recent years I've used it mostly as a shoulder season boot, but it can't handle the slick stuff very well anymore. They have enough overall wear that resoling is probably not the best way to go. Since it's no longer made, can anyone recommend a comparable boot? (It doesn't have to be from Montrail) I'd particular like to hear from other former Moraine owners. Some of the features I liked about the Moraine were the simple construction, wide footbed, solid ankle support, and padded tongue. They were also impervious to water.

edit: it would help if they are crampon compatible, but that's not essential

I had considered the Montrail Moraines several times over the years. I ended up with Merrell Ridgelines - I think they might have both been made by the same boot company in Italy, as they were very similiar.

Anyways when I heard Merrell had stopped making them around 1997-98, decided to buy a second pair in 1999 to keep for another decade.

Last year I bit the bullet and moved on to a new boot - Asolo's. I bought both the Asolo TP 535GV and the 520GV - I wore both around the house for a week (inside) and then decided on the 535's. Like the Ridgelines, they do not have goretex and are a little cooler. They really fit very comfortably. The break in didn't seem to take as long as the old Ridgelines, but then again, they are not the full 3.8 FGL leather, though they are FGL and are very supportive around the ankle.

I have been very happy with them. I have also noticed that as I get older I do prefer a lighter mountaineering boot and the 535 fits the bill.

Last edited:
I've been very happy with Asolo TPS 520's. I'm on my second pair now. I've found them to be both comfortable (very little breaking in needed) and durable. I don't have any experience with Montrails, but Asolo boots have all of the features you mentioned in your post that you were looking for.

Last edited:
EMS Summit boots are very similar to the Moraines. They also come in wide & regular widths. Also, you can typically get a good deal on them this time of year