Thread: Greylock camping

Greylock camping

Does anybody know what the status is of camping along the AT and/or the leantos in Greylock reservation amid the covid mess? I can't seem to find a straight answer on any mass gov website. I was hoping to do an overnighter from North Adams this weekend. Campsite recommendations welcomed too, I was looking start from Williams Reservoir mid day, hike south as far as I get, camp, and return north the next morning. If I can dayhike Greylock from wherever I drop my pack that's great, if not that's OK too. I don't want to actually stay in a leanto but I gather those are the designated camping areas?

Here's a link: https://www.mass.gov/location-detail...mount-greylock

As far as your plan goes, you could start at the Williams reservoir and hike south on the AT to a campsite (Wilbur's Clearing) near the intersection of the AT and Money Brook trail. There is a leanto and a few tent platforms, an outhouse and bear box as well as a water supply.
    Last edited by jfb; 09-30-2020 at 07:58 AM.

The Mount Greylock State Reservation Campground, a.k.a. Sperry Road Campground, is closed due to a COVID-19. Frankly that seems stupid to me. Camping, especially semi-backcountry camping such as at Sperry Rd., is a great safe activity.

Thanks, that's the page I couldn't find, I was hopeful when I saw that some Mass campgrounds were open. Disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by TEO View Post
    The Mount Greylock State Reservation Campground, a.k.a. Sperry Road Campground, is closed due to a COVID-19. Frankly that seems stupid to me. Camping, especially semi-backcountry camping such as at Sperry Rd., is a great safe activity.
    That's Massachusetts for you. "There is no legal place to spend the night along the AT in Massachusetts."

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Thanks, that's the page I couldn't find, I was hopeful when I saw that some Mass campgrounds were open. Disappointing.

That's Massachusetts for you. "There is no legal place to spend the night along the AT in Massachusetts."
    Not all the AT in MA is within a state park

Quote Originally Posted by OldEric View Post
    Not all the AT in MA is within a state park
    Most of the shelters/tentsites are within the state park system (which includes reservations, forests, etc.) There's apparently one NPS-managed shelter, which is also closed. I'm pretty sure stealth camping within the AT corridor is not permitted in Mass (although I cannot find the cite right now.) ATC says "No Overnight Camping Permitted on the A.T. in Massachusetts".

I think Bascom Lodge is open, but it's more of a hotel than a campsite. I was at Mt. Greylock yesterday and there are signs at the trailheads that say overnight parking is prohibited and cars will be towed.