Cascade Trail (Squam Range)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday I was hiking along the Crawford-Ridgepole Trail between mounts Webster and Morgan, and saw a double blaze on a tree. Shortly beyond that I found an old trail (little evidence of traffic on it), and my GPSr showed a trail, "Cascade Trail", heading down from that point to Perch Pond. That trail was not shown on either the SLA or AMC maps. I was doing a long (for me) hike: Old Highway, Prescott Trail, Crawford-Ridgepole to Mt. Morgan, back to Cotton Mtn. and down to the gravel pit, about 14 miles and 3,000 feet of elevation gain. So I decided that enough was enough, and did not explore that trail.

When I got home I found that it was shown on the Braford Washburn map of the Squam Range ("Based on survey to 1971", so not exactly current). You can see it on this Topozone map.

As I said, it did not look well used at all, but the double blaze was fairly recent, so I am assuming that it can be followed.

Does anyone know anything about it? I don't seem to see it on the Lost Trails site.

I've got no first hand knowledge of the trail, but here's a brief account of a hike via the Cascade Trail:

"I did the hike up to Mt. Morgan a little different by taking the Cascade Trail form Perch Pond in Campton to the Ridgepole Trail and from there the summit. The trail is a bit overgrown and hard to follow but it got me there and it is only about a ten minute drive from Camp Chickenburro. The cache is in a good hiding spot but easily found with the hint. It was a beautiful day to hike. TNLN TFTC"

From a post at:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCGG4N&log=y

I have a USGS map of the area which shows a hiking trail from Perch Pond up to the ridge. I went poking around once while exploring around Perch Pond but couldn't locate the trail (although we didn't try too hard).

I'd be interested to know if you learn anything more about it.

Today I finally explored the upper part of the Cascade Trail, going down from the Crawford-Ridgepole Trail.

It is definitely not maintained, and will require some skill to follow, hence I am intentionally giving minimal details; these will be enough for those who can follow it.

It is shown on both Washburn's map of the Squam Range (available at The Mountain Wanderer) or, less accurately, on the USGS Squam quad.

The upper end of the trail is not difficult to locate with either of these maps. The trail has a footway that can be followed by those with experience in following abandoned trails, plus quite a few blue blazes. I did not have a map with me, and missed the right angled turn that I should have been looking for had I had a map with me :( It is marked by a double blue blaze, but I missed it and soon realized that I was off trail and backtracked.

After the right angled turn it heads towards the stream that is referred to as "Ryan's Brook" on Washburn's map (the waterway with that name on the USGS quad is a tributary of the main brook, which is not shown on the quad!). Shortly before crossing the brook there is a small cascade, probably the source of the trail's name.

Shortly after crossing the brook I decided to call it a day, I had about 500 feet to climb on my way back.

I do not know what the condition of the lower part of the trail is, and have no idea as to whether it crosses private property near the pond. If you explore, you do so at your own risk :D

Last edited:
Some additional info

First, to collect all info about that trail in this thread, is a post by Silverfox, mentioning a back way down from Webster.

Second, I should have included some "trail gossip" I heard earlier this month. I met a hiker between the Old Mountain Road and Webster, and we talked a bit about the local trails. He told me that, until recently (whatever that means!!), the Cascade Trail had been maintained by mountain bikers, who had stopped maintaining it. He had heard that it was difficult to follow and wet, so he no longer used it.

It is clearly known by those who live nearby, and the treadway shows that it is used, albeit infrequently.

I should also have added that there are vicious shrubs: hobblebush, of course, plus even more voracious very young beeches. I do not know why I did not put my pant legs back on; it would have saved me a lot of bleeding :eek:

Nice investigative work Mohamed..

it makes me feel a little better that I was on a trail perhaps..albeit the wrong one..on that descent from the Ridgepole Trail...You know, if you hike enough..especially on the seldom used trails..you find your way..and we must have found our way down that path..we found the bottem all right...just a few degrees off from where we were heading..

on another note did the Cotton Mt trail up and over to the Livermore col this evening after work..the pond at the bottem still wet..tried the south bushwack around it and that was fine..didn't hear any dogs either.trail up and over the summit dry and nice...a few flies in evidence.after steep decent .bushwack from the col due south brings you to a nice old logging road that ends up at the gravel pit..this also avoids the several brook crossings in the col..nice quiet spot...

Mission accomplished

Today I went with a friend up the Mt. Morgan Trail to Mount Morgan, then on the way down took the Crawford Ridgepole Tral to the top of the Cascade Trail, which we followed with little difficulty to the very bottom. Then back up to the ridge and down to our cars.

The maps (USGS or Washburn) show the descending trail splitting into two branches a couple of contours above Perch Pond. The northern branch, that loops around Perch Pond, was the better defined, and so we took it.

I would strongly suggest that anyone exploring it do it first from the top. On our way back we were confused at a couple of points, in spite of having just gone down it.

General comments. The distance from Perch Pond Road to the Mount Morgan Trail is, according to my GPSr, 2.5 miles. The lower half of the trail is in much better condition than the upper half, and definitely feels like an actively maintained trail.