Sunday Mountain, Orford, NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
The Cross Rivendell Trail goes over Sunday Mountain, with the eastern trailhead off Dame Hill Road, close to where it leaves Rt. 25A. The hike from there to the other trailhead on Norris Road and back is 7.8 miles, with an elevation gain of 1,740 feet, with the highest elevation 1,830 feet. It seemed like a moderate workout that had a good chance of being snow free. See map.

There is a good sized parking lot off Dame Hill Road, with lots of signs!

P1000846.JPG

In fact, the whole trail is very well marked; a trail purist might complain of overblazing. I, for one, have no complaint.

On leaving the road the trail follows the edges of several fields, with a narrow barrier of vegetation (just a couple of feet wide) separating it from the fields.

P1000863.JPG

After dipping down to a sag it ascends, by gentle grades, over a combination of old roads and trail. After 2.1 miles a spur leaves the main trail to the summit. Around the area of the spur I saw the first patches of snow, nothing to worry about!

P1000854.JPG

I reached the summit a bit too early for lunch, so I continued. Beyond the spur there is a short trail to an outlook with a view of Mount Moosilauke.

P1000859.JPG

The trail continued down at fairly gentle grades to Norris Road. There is no parking lot there, but the road is wide and off road parking is not a problem.

I had lunch on the summit on the return trip, then returned to my car. Just before leaving the fields I saw my first Trilliums of the season.

P1000871.JPG

The hike was a pleasant woods walk, with good footing and moderate grades throughout. While the only open view was from the outlook the leafless open hardwoods allowed viewing the mountains, and the closer fields and roads, much of the time. All in all a worthwhile hike.

Nice!

Thanks for posting this.

Orford is a neat little area, too, steeped in some nifty history.

(Members of some of the oldest families in New Hampshire are buried in the cemetery at Orford. Just a bit o' trivia...)

Another little mtn I almost did a few times, but I chose Cube over it. It is nice to see a little what it is like up there. So the view to Moosilauke is the only view?

Further west in VT, closer to where that trail begins, there is another part of that trail I wanted to climb....I think there was a field on top of the hill, somewhere around 1500 to 1800 ft, with some great views, so I've heard.

Thanks for posting this!

grouseking