3 Boundary Balds, 2 Coburns, and a Sandy Bay... "Jackman 'whack"!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onestep

Reaction score
Friday 07-07-06: JimC picked me up around 7:30 AM for a trip up to Jackman where we would spend 3 days bushwhacking Maine 3K peaks.

Our first order of business upon arriving in Jackman was to find the logging road approach to Sandy Bay Mtn, 3110’. This peak is located north west of Jackman along the US / Canada border swath. We where pleasantly surprised to be able to drive in from Rt 201 approx 2 miles along an old logging road before our progress was blocked by 3 large boulders. We continued on walking in a westerly direction following the old logging road & twitch trails. After a short 'whack through mostly open woods we finally reached the border swath. We followed the swath S past several hunting shacks, and monument markers, to the “summit”.
We found the ‘true’ summit to be approx 100’ E of the swath in very thick spruce. The jar was found on the ground, broken, its contents unreadable. We did not replace the jar.

Saturday 07-08-06: After a rather noisy night (a private fireworks display) at Sally Mountain Cabins on Wood lake we got up early for our most ambitious day of the trip. Our goal for the day was Boundary Bald - 3630', Boundary Bald E Peak – 3459', & Boundary Bald W Peak – 3167’. This group of peaks is located north east of Jackman. There is a hiking trail to the summit of Boundary Bald. The East & West peaks would be bushwhacked.
We where able to drive to within a mile of the old fire wardens trail up Boundary Bald. The trail is in pretty good shape considering it generally follows the fall line without protection of water bars, rock work, switch backs, and other ‘modern’ trail building techniques. We reached the summit at 8:20 and took in it’s fantastic views… the morning was clear, dry, comfortable and mostly bug free!
From here the adventure would begin. We made a decision to bushwhack the ridge line over to the East peak instead of descending back down the hiking trail, walking the old logging road that parallels the ridge, and then bushwhacking up to the col and on to E Peak. Either way the length of the bushwhack is about the same. We chose the ridge in order reduce the amount of road walking we would have to do.
The ridge took us 3-1/2 hours to bushwhack. It was persistently scrappy! Several interesting open areas gave us a reprieve but overall it was tough. We where somewhat puzzled when we discovered that the intermediate peak along the ridge is higher than the East Peak. (I believe it is not on the 3K list though as a result of the 200’ col rule).
We enjoyed fantastic views from the open East Peak! We found the broken remains of the jar hidden in the cairn. We did not have a replacement…
We chose to descend to the logging road almost directly from the peak instead of backtracking to the col and then down. This saved us distance, and time, but the steep ledges made things interesting!
We reached the logging road and began the long walk back to the car. Even though we started out with 3 liters each, we where both out of water. About half way back to the car we came upon an ice cold spring! We drank and drank and drank some more. We then filled up our bottles, and continued on refreshed.
We reached the car and drove approx a mile or so to where we started another long road walk towards the West Peak. Even though we where both tired we where determined to reach our third peak of the day. This bushwhack would be short, approx 7/10th of a mile to the summit. It seemed to take forever! We both felt the topo did not correspond to the terrain. Our altimeters (mechanical, digital, and via GPS) had the peak a lot higher than the map / or list / indicated! Not much made sense… but we trusted our compass. We finally reached the summit and found the jar! This time it was intact. We signed the log and began a slow descent back to the car. We where both tired. We hiked / walked / whacked 12-1/2 hours today, we earned our peaks.

Sunday 07-09-06: After a quiet night at Sally Mountain cabins, we had breakfast in Jackman. No need for an early start today. On the agenda is Coburn Mtn – 3730’, and Coburn East Peak – 3070’. Similar to yesterday, there is a hiking trail to the summit of Coburn, and the East Peak would be a bushwhack. The difference today is that we would not bushwhack the ridge!
We where able to drive in towards Coburn Mountain from route 201 approx 2.4 miles. From there we followed a snowmobile trail to the top of the old ski area, and then a hiking trail to the summit. Another beautiful day, another fantastic view! This time from a steel observation tower.
We looped back down from the summit via a snowmobile trail which followed the ridge line west before swinging back towards the old ski area. This was a longer route than our ascent, but much more gradual. On the way down we met a hiker from Parlin Pond. Come to find out he’s working on the NE100. He said it wasn’t uncommon for him and his hiking buddy to leave Jackman at 2 in the morning to get to the Whites in the winter! I’ll never complain about my 1-1/2 drive again…
Back at the car, we drove a half mile or so down the logging road that parallels the ridge heading towards the East Peak. We parked where a rather suspicious looking bridge halted our progress. We continued down the logging road on foot until it swung around to the N-NW and ascended the ridge leading down from Coburn’s East Peak. We started our bushwhack “back” towards the East Peak from there.
The woods where mostly open, quite a change from yesterday. We made good progress following many heard paths. The summit area was rather broad and flat with many blowdowns. It was rather open so after a short search we spotted the jar. We signed the log, replaced the ziplock, and called it good! Six peaks in 3 days… time to head home.
We descended directly to the logging road instead of walking the ridge back down. Like yesterday, it was steep but quicker!

I’d like to thank JimC for suggesting this group of peaks to ‘whack… it sure was fun!!

PICTURES HERE

Onestep

Last edited:
Sounds like "fun"! Nice pics! Sorry I suggested to Jim C. the ridge for the two Boundary Balds, seems like the road would have been a better idea. I did these peaks about 20 years ago when it wasn't quite as bad on the ridge.

I also did the ridge walk with my mother maybe 20 years ago and it wasn't bad, had barely enough time left for N peak but put it off till next day. I believe the lower part of the Boundary Bald Trail is actually a skid road that intersects the old trail from the cabin partway up. The first time I was there, each of the little cliffs had a ladder segment just the right height for that step, but by my second visit they were getting too rotten to trust.

On Coburn E, there used to be a path from partway up the ski area to the little pond which is how I got there.

Onestep, thank you for the trip report, and congradulations on the very productive weekend. I remember when I was up on Boundary Bald during Memorial Day Weekend. Based on what I had read in Papa Bear's trip report for the mountain, I was under the impression that the east peak wasn't too far away, or wasn't too difficult to reach. However, when I got up to the main peak, I looked across the mile expanse of dense scrubby stuff over to the east peak, then down at the fact I was wearing shorts, and realized right then that I wouldn't be bagging East Boundary Bald that day. However, it's just as well, since as it was I had just enough time to bag Coburn and East Coburn before the close of the afternoon.

Final note: if anyone replaces the broken jars on East Boundary Bald or Sandy Bay, it would be cool if you posted here that you've done so, so that subsequent parties will know if they should bring replacements or not.

Nate said:
I was under the impression that the east peak wasn't too far away, or wasn't too difficult to reach. However, when I got up to the main peak, I looked across the mile expanse of dense scrubby stuff <snip>

From the summit of Boundary Bald you can not see the East Peak. There is an intermediate peak along the ridgeline that seperates the two. This intermediate peak is actually taller than the E Peak. The 200' col that allows both Boundary Bald & the East Peak to be on the 3K list is between that intermediate peak and the E Peak.

Onestep

Onestep, I was thinking: the east peak of Boundary Bald is slightly over a mile from the main peak. The summit of Barren Mountain (BSP) is about 1.38 miles from the closest point of the South Slide Trail on O-J-I. If getting over to Barren took 2.5 hours, while reaching East Boundary Bald required 3.5, does that mean the latter is the more difficult bushwhack (if so, that would make it one of the most difficult 'whacks in New England).

Further, considering the conditions you found, would you say bushwhacking up from the road would be the recommended route to reach the east peak? How long did it take you to go that way?

Finally, when you do encounter broken canisters that you weren't able to replace, what do you do with the remains of the registers? If the paper is unreadable, is it treated as garbage? If it is readable, does it get mailed anywhere? I've been wondering lately what the protocol is.

Nate,
Good questions. Bushwhacking is so subjective it's really tough to give definitive answers. Let's see, Barren vs Boundary Bald... these are really 2 very different bushwhacks.

• The approach trail leading to the start of the Barren 'whack is more physically demanding. Approx 2000’ elevation gain vs. 1000’ for Boundary.
• Also, the woods leading down from the shoulder of OJI to the Klondike are so much thicker than anything found on Boundary.
• There is more elevation gain during the Barren bushwhack, approx 1000’ vs. 400’ for Boundary.
• Once you reach Barren you have to turn around and repeat the whole ‘whack to get back so your looking at 5 hours plus of bushwhacking.

To bushwhack the E peak of Boundary I suspect the easiest route would be to start at the end of the logging road at approx 2800’ and bushwhack to this col . We descended almost directly off the peak to the logging road and ran into steep ledges. I’d suggest avoiding them.

Finally, when I encounter a broken Jar that I can’t replace, I leave the remains of it there so others “know” they reached “correct” summit. Same with the register, I allways leave it on the mountain.

Onestep

onestep said:
To bushwhack the E peak of Boundary I suspect the easiest route would be to start at the end of the logging road at approx 2800’ and bushwhack to

Finally, when I encounter a broken Jar that I can’t replace, I leave the remains of it there so others “know” they reached “correct” summit. Same with the register, I allways leave it on the mountain.
We dropped off from the E peak col to the road and I don't remember it being a problem.

When my sister was register coordinator for the Colorado Mountain Club she used to keep a list of missing registers on her answering machine, but she encouraged people to carry blank register books and pencils so they could be replaced immediately rather than hoping the next person would do it. Some people even carried spare PVC canisters in case one was missing or broken, I'm surprised that more people who approve of registers don't do that here. Then you can carry out the broken one as trash. The CMC files old registers at HQ, but since most NE registers are unofficial there is noplace to send them.

Don't any of the old registers end up at the AMC? After all, where did the little AMC 3k registers come from? Were they generated by a small group of serious peakbaggers?

Nate said:
Don't any of the old registers end up at the AMC? After all, where did the little AMC 3k registers come from? Were they generated by a small group of serious peakbaggers?

Some of the 3k peaks have registers with a photocopied AMC symbol, but the 3k is not an official AMC list and they disavow these registers. You need to ask ES what he does with 3k registers that are sent in.

Nearly all registers in NE are unofficially placed, maybe DennisC will know who did the "AMC" ones.

RoySwkr said:
Nearly all registers in NE are unofficially placed, maybe DennisC will know who did the "AMC" ones.
I think that it was John and Bea Paisley who started using the AMC logo on summit registers. In fact, several years ago they sent me the register from Mullen, it seems that the ranger from Russell Pond found their names in the register and went through the bother of finding their address and mailed it to them complete with a highly critical letter of ruining the peak by leaving a register on it. It was my pleasure to return the register to Mullen along with a message for the ranger when I did the peak a few years ago. I left my name and address, but I have never heard back.

Last edited: