8-26-06 Galehead and North Sugarloaf!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
The great hiking continues....I had originally planned to do Garfield and Galehead but we started out extremely late (10:30ish) to be able to bag both peaks and actually enjoy them.

Lots of times when I read a trip report about Galehead, it normally talks about a boring trail and a boring summit with a fairly descent view from the hut. But I still had great expectations because sometimes I find beauty in things that others don't. Same thing with my friend Matt, who joined me (well actually he drove :) but I forked over the gas money).

The Gale River trail is my kind of trail! It starts out mellow, walking through beautiful mixed northern hardwood with the sound of the Gale River never too far away. When we crossed it, I was in awe of how clear the stream was. It is definitely one of the clearest streams I have ever seen anywhere. Lots of cascades made for photo ops up the ying yang for me, although this trip I didn't take "as many photos" as normal.

At about 2500 ft, maybe lower, we came across a messload of feathers on the trail. They had white spots all over them. They looked like one from a spruce grouse, and I would have to say it got destroyed by something. There was no blood, so maybe it was taken by a Great Horned Owl. Those things are viscious :D . It struck me as odd to have a spruce grouse down this low with limited spruce and fir. The only time I've ever seen them this low is on Shoal Pond trail where there is a cornucopia of spruce and fir. But I digress....

Soon after the view up towards North Twin the steeps begin. And I need to add, fall is well underway in the White Mountains! Anywhere above 2500 ft, the birches are changing color fast! They are dull at best so I was wondering if that fungus from all the heavy rain has anything to do with the dying leaves. There was even some significant leaf drop towards 3000 feet, making it feel like late September.

We arrived at Garfield Ridge trail, at some point, I wasn't keeping track, but I was beginning to doubt my thoughts on hiking the 1200 miles over to Garfield from the hut. It just looked so far...... But we arrived at the hut in fantastic spirits. Funny thing though, the forecast was for mostly sunny, yet as usual in the Pemi the clouds were nice and dark and it actually sprinkled for a time. Only in the Pemi. Temp at Galehead hut...55 degrees, quite September like!

So some woman egged us on saying she made it to Galehead summit in 8 minutes, and that we should beat the "girls" up to the summit. I was kind of surprised that someone who I didn't even know would say something like that. All I can say is she must have been lying. There's a steep little sucker partway up that stopped me dead in my tracks. Eight minutes my butt. Well we did it in 13, so there! That was number 24 for me, holy crap I'm halfway done! Never thought I'd start counting....

Ok, so the summit might have been a little anticlimatic, but the viewpoint just below the summit far surpassed what I had imagined. The view up to South Twin and along its ridge was breathtaking. The foliage (yes foliage) helped the views out even more. The pics did not do it justice because the sun was shinning from outside the Pemi and was causing my pics to be overexposed (I think thats the term). It was quite interesting to see the Pemi cloud hanging over the Twins and Garfield area, while sunshine was basking most areas south, and north of the region. Yet another reason why I think the South Twin area gets hundreds of inches of snow per year, probably rivaling and surpassing Mt Washington and ....dun dun dun....Jay Peak. But once again I digress.

We arrived back at the hut in 8 min or so (hmm 8 min) and hung out there for a few min. Justy then a group of at least 20 started arrived at the hut with..surprise...4 or 5 dogs. And they let them in the hut! It kind of surprised me and the croo member got them out of there real fast. I feel bad for those dogs because the group was staying there Sat night and the dogs would have to stay tied out all night, then walk out today....in the cold rain. I love dogs, and these dogs rocked the house...very nice, well mannered and calm. But having those dogs up there once again might cause a problem. (I guess I digressed again)

We took off down the Garfield Ridge trail, deciding to skip Garfield and head over to North Sugarloaf off Zealand Rd if we weren't too tired or it wasn't too late. Forcing ourselves over to Garfield would have been too much I think, and I didnt fancy a 1.6 mile roadwalk in the dark. The trail down flew by, half because of its beauty and half because we were yapping about everything under the sun. The Gale River was just as beautiful as we left it, and I got more shots on the way down, which broke up the constant walking. We arrived at the bottom around 4:50pm...so a 10.2 mile hike was completed in 6 hr 20 min. That's actually pretty good for me. The trip will rank as one of my favorite treks to a 4,000 footer. Yes, the summit has no view whatsoever, but the beautiful walk to the summit is what makes it worth hiking. As I stated earlier, we took a trip up North Sugarloaf, and I'll post those pics as well as a brief report on it in a few. But first, here are the Galehead pics.

Later people,

grouseking

Last edited:
North Sugarloaf

I told Matt about North Sugarloaf and how there was some interesting smokey (spell) quartz crystals near the summit of North Sugarloaf, and he was very interested to check it out. Since we wern't too tired, we headed over there and started hiking again around 5:15 pm. The trail has it all, big spruces, mud, big glacial erratics, a mature birch forest and a couple real steep sections, all tossed into 1 mile up to the col trail. Once we reached that, we turned right and headed for North Sugarloaf, and I showed Matt where to look for the crystals. I headed for the summit to soak in the views. Since we were up there so late, I had the summit to myself. The views of Washington, Hale and North Twin were particularly wonderful, as was the view up thru the Zealand Valley. Its much prettier now than it was when I visited it one November. I hung out on a rock for a good 25 min until Matt came up disapointed becuase he couldn't find what he wanted. We looked around for a few more min and decided to head down.

There was one more section that he neglected to see on his way up so he checked it out. I heard him yell "JACKPOT", so I knew we were gonna be here for awhile! I hung out with him for a little bit before I decided to head over to the col trail junction for a little peace and quiet. When I got back and sat down on a rock, a big old ruffed grouse flew out of a tree and scared the dickens out of me, as usual. Yet another grouse on another hiking adventure. :rolleyes:

After Matt came back (which took a good 20 min) we cruised down the trail, in most likely record time. I'd have to say we just broke the 8 minute mark :D . Then it was time to head to Lincoln for scallops and clam strips. They were fantastic, although I ate them too fast and felt kinda woozy last night. Overall, we hiked about 13 miles during the day and definitely felt it to the fullest extent. And here are the Sugarloaf pictures .

Grouseking

What a beautiful hike it was, I am already scheming for another one in a few weeks. Im thinking it will be pemi like, the real pemi. Why dont you join me near anderson. ;) Boy whoever was at galehead or near there must have had a horrible day hiking today. 45 degrees with heavy rain or so. I really wish galehead hut wasnt there, then maybe the bonds would be remote. Wouldn't have all these people that dont know how to camp in the backcountry staying in the amc hotel...I don't mind some of them, just that one bothers me. -Mattl

I really felt bad for those dogs. Is it ok for them to be tied outside a hut? I mean there is nothing else one could do, except hike back down and bring them back.

grouseking

yeah don't mention you saw me on this trip or anything. you only do that for everyone else, sheesh! ;)

anyhow that was a nice day although it didn't rain on us at all. when we were on the outlook to galehead it was so nice, felt like 70 degrees or more when it was probably in the 50's. garfield i've heard is better enjoyed as a day hike on its own so you probably made a good choice trying not to cram that in there too. you also made the same mistake we did when heading up on the gale river trail. that mountain you think is north twin is actually hitchcock mtn. we figured it out when we were on north twin and you can see from above looking down. you'll see what i mean when i get my pics posted tonight hopefully.

bintrepidhiker said:
yeah don't mention you saw me on this trip or anything. you only do that for everyone else, sheesh! ;)

anyhow that was a nice day although it didn't rain on us at all. when we were on the outlook to galehead it was so nice, felt like 70 degrees or more when it was probably in the 50's. garfield i've heard is better enjoyed as a day hike on its own so you probably made a good choice trying not to cram that in there too. you also made the same mistake we did when heading up on the gale river trail. that mountain you think is north twin is actually hitchcock mtn. we figured it out when we were on north twin and you can see from above looking down. you'll see what i mean when i get my pics posted tonight hopefully.

Hmm looks like North Twin to me. But I haven't looked at a map yet. Actually I posted these after midnight on the same day I hiked so...I was pretty tired. The rain that fell wasn't heavy, just a nuisance...a sprinkle...when I hike with matt it rains. :) I'd like to do Monroe this weekend was wondering if you up for it. I got a friend who works up there and would really like to visit her.

EDIT...now that I look at a topo map it looks like the northwestern "arm" of North Twin...maybe its called Hitchcock but I couldn't find a name like that. The only "H" mtn i could find is Haystack mtn elevation 2713 ft and thats not even in view. So I still say a part of North Twin. :)

grouseking

Last edited:
sounds good to me. i don't have the map in front of me at work here so i'll take it at your word.
as for this weekend i'm gonna wait a bit more to be sure the weather will coporate and if it does i'll definatly do that with you. maybe we could sneak up to washington too. we'll see, we'll see.

P.S. e-mail me or call me with your phone # one of these days

Halfway to 48 Reflection

Well it looks like I'm halfway finished the NH 48. I seriously never thought I'd start counting, but its fun so I did! I have a few thoughts/highlights on the first 24. To start off, I have hiked, in this order

Osceola, Moosilauke, Washington, Field, Tom, North Twin, South Twin, Zealand, North Kinsman, South Kinsman, Carrigain, East Osceola, Willey, Pierce, Liberty, Eisenhower, Lincoln, Lafayette, North and South Hancocks, North and Middle Tripyramid, Jackson and Galehead...plus about 8 repeats! :)

First was in 1989 when I was seven yrs old and the latest was this weekend.

Best view from summit: Probably South Twin, although if it had been clear on Carrigain that would have probably taken the cake

Worst View...Galehead..there wasn't a view..but just down the trail was a fantastic view

Best view in the Whites So Far...Zeacliff Overlook! Hands down, no arguments. I brought a friend up there who had never been to the White Mtns before and when she saw the view she was speechless for 10 minutes.

Most Picturesque Summit: Probably Zealand...no view, but neat trees, a cool sign and just a very nice quiet spot.

Most interesting experience: Hiking up North Hancock and coming up on a person with a boom box on his backpack blaring Slayer!

Best weather...Gee let me think, only one summit has been in the clouds and that was Carrigain. Best weather...probably Washington believe it or not...in fact I'm 3 for 3 doing that one! Followed very closely by North South Twin and Zealand a couple years back.

Worst weather: Jackson...the haze was awful and the humidity high, but still not that bad.

Craziest weather: The hike up Pierce in March with 50+gusts and blizzard conditions. That was awesome.

I'm sure that the next 24 will have different qualities with them. I'm looking forward to exploring different areas as well as bagging the peaks. I love the state I am from and try to enjoy it to the fullest extent!

grouseking