Chimney Tops, Great Smokey Mountains NP, TN 3-22-08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dom15931

Reaction score
Chimney Tops, Great Smokey Mountains, TN 3-22-08

Obviously this mountain is not in the Northeast, but as an avid hiker in the northeast myself I think many of you would find this interesting as I did, especially if you have never been to the Smokies.

I planned on using this hike for a warm up for several trips to the Adirondacks with my girlfriend. I had a curiosity of what hiking in the southern Appalachians was like. We both had a 3 day weekend and the weather was much nicer 9 hours south than of 9 hours north, especially by her terms ;-)

Little did I know how much fun and challenging this one was going to be. Unlike most of the southern Appalachians, this mountain has an actual peak with both of the summits being exposed due to the 'point' that they come to giving the hiker 360 degree views of the surronding mountains and valleyies. In fact I can't think of a more prominent pinnacle on any of the sixty-two 4000 footers I have climbed in the Northern US. The high chimney is at aprrox 4800' feet in elevation. The glaciers would have knocked these guys down if they would have made it that far south the last ice age i would venture to guess. This mountain is not typical of the 'ridgeline' mountains that dominate the area. It is an unusually prominant shoulder of the higher range.

We started out at about 9:45 am and the temps were quite comfortable, probably in the 45 degree area. The nearby towns had both Friday and Saturday highs near 70 degrees with sunny skies and budding trees. The temp's warm up much more down south, there is not as drastic of a change in temperature with elevation gain as you see in WV, NY, NH, VT, ME/ The trails were VERY crowded...beyond anything I have ever seen. This is a huge tourist destination and even on a holiday weekend it was running full throttle. All parking lots were overflowing. To our disappointment the road to Clingman's Dome was closed.

The trail to the top of the Chimney's is 2 miles each way with an elevation gain of 1700' It is a pleasant, steady uphill climb 90% of the way. You cross several mountain brooks and without the leaves being out, a fair number of glimpses at the surrounding mountains. Rocks are intermittent and much of the trail is easy travel. There was surprisingly little mud. There was a trace of snow left here and there where the sun was shaded from the trees. The temps warmed up nicely by 11 o’clock when we reached the actual 'chimneys'. The area was super crowded. Many folks don't go to the top after seeing the rocks. There is, on accent to the first and highest chimney, a spot that while it is not that tricky it is exposed. A good bit a people stop here or wait for there buddies to con them into going further. It is a best an easy class 3 in my opinion. Not for the squeamish of heights for sure.

Getting to the second chimney is another story. Meghan said nope for the second one. About 1/3 of the hikers that made it to the first peak went on to the second. I'd estimate it at a tougher class 3 due to the exposure, absolute necessity of the use of your hands, lack of a marked route, and serious potential for injury or worse if you slip. The locals warn of all the injuries that have occurred here. I hate to say it....but it's much more technical in aspect than the at first daunting, but easy chimney on the knife edge on Katahdin near Pamola. No blue blazes and fairly straightforward route. Too bad Baxter didn’t have a summit like this! In fact it is a exposed rock mini knife-edge that connects the two chimneys. You must first descend approximately 100 feet. There are some dicey exposed spots and it is pretty much do or die as the ridge is narrow, you can't dodge the tough pitches or ledges by going around them, there simply is not the room. The first drop is the worse because you have to look for holds and then drop 6-8 onto a narrow ledge. I got better pic's of this section on the way back. After bottoming out you navigate the ridge cautiously. Ascending to the second chimney is quite easy, the real run is getting to actually climb instead of descend the high chimney. I took a lot of cool pics here. Unfortunately the sun was right overhead. You can get a feel for the aspect.

After I re-summited the high chimney we had lunch on a nice ledge just below the summit. The place was really getting crowded. We hung out for a good hour or so total. Heading down was quick with us descending in about 1 hr. Afterwards, to celebrate our feat, we went to the Great Smokey Mountain Brewery in Gatlinburg (Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are like a small town southern Las Vegas btw) to enjoy some tasty local brews. Not bad if your in the area.

I highly recommend this hike if you are ever in the area and are looking for something a tougher than the more typical ridge walking down south.

-Dom

trip pics:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/562876394FlZhmg

all hiking pics:

http://community.webshots.com/user/dom15931?action=publicAlbums