Long Shawangunks Hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Ulster County, NY Avatar: Chapel Pond From Giant M
Okay, so I managed to get in my pre-Escarpment, "training" hike, it just wasn't in the Catskills. I decided to hit the Gunks instead since: A) I can get up there in 20 minutes, thus more time for hiking, and B) the weather was a little iffy, so if there were t-storms I could bail quickly, and if not I could improv a good long hike. The weather held, and I ended up getting in about 19-20 miles.

I parked at the Mohonk Preserve West Trapps lot, which was already overrun w/ climbers gearing up at 8 AM. From there I headed up over Trapps Bridge to Millbrook Ridge, which I took to Millbrook Mt. Then it was down into Coxing Kill Clove and back up to Lake Minnewaska. The route so far was familiar to me and pretty uneventful. Except for a trail-running couple at the beginning, I'd not seen a soul.

From here I ventured into unfamiliar territory, heading out Hamilton Point Carriageway to the Point. The views of Gertrude's Nose and the back of Millbrook Ridge were great, and it was cool to be able to see the piles of talus along the base of the cliffs. The only thing I didn't like about this part was seeing that gravel they use on the carriageways washed down into the little gully next to the trail. It looks like it doesn't belong there. But I digress. From here, I took the short, fun scramble up to Castle Point for more outstanding views. I was pleasantly surprised to be able to see the Catskills from this area, from Ashokan High Point to Slide and beyond. At this point it had rained just a little, and it still a little cloudy. It would be mostly sunny the rest of the day.

I took the Castle Point Carriageway back down under Battlement Terrace, then hopped back on the Long Path. This was an interesting leg of the journey. The trail winds around through scrubby forest and boulders, at one point going through a little tunnel which I just managed to negotiate w/o pack removal. After this I took a short side trip on the old road which goes down to an abandonded shale quarry. Lots of blowdown on this road since it's no longer maintained. From here it was up over Magaret Cliff and Murray Hill for more views and a quick lunch. At this point I could see the Hudson Highlands, the Lake Maratanza towers, the Catskills behind me, a nice panorama. Then the real treat of the whole hike...

As I was tramping along on the southwest side of Murray Hill, I had my face buried in the map, trying to decide whether to go all the way to Mud Pond, and what my return route would be. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a black animal over on the cliff on the other side of the ravine. For about two seconds I thought "some hiker w/ a big dog must be over there" and then went "wait a second!" Sure enough, it was a bear, just hangin' over there. I got out the binocs and watched it for about 5 minutes. It just stayed on the cliff edge for a while, then climbed down into some trees and I lost sight of it. I had one more little glimpse of it before I moved on. My first Gunks bear sighting.

I then decided to go all the way to the end, so I moved pretty fast until a little past Mud Pond. I went to the point where there are still cairns, but the aqua Long Path blazes are faded, assuming this was about where it is now closed. (What a shame-sigh...) Then it was back to the little lookout over Mud Pond, then back over the boardwalks on the muddy sections and along the ridge to Lake Awosting. This was very nice little side trip through a wild-feeling area.

The wild feel immediately ended back at the Lake area, with mountain bikers and other hikers around. Still a nice walk though, except for the bugs. I'm not sure if they were black flies or something else, but they were small, black, and there were clouds of them all along the lake side. I was jogging at one point! From the other end of the lake I headed up the Peter's Kill Carriageway, then down into Huntington Ravine and Rainbow Falls. The LP could use some tidying down in the Ravine, lots of blowdown and some faded blazes. The Falls wasn't running too hard, but it was nice none the less.

Back up the other side, then back on Awosting Lake Carriageway for the most uninteresting portion. I was a little spent at this point. There were some earth-movers parked on the side of the road near Lake Minnewaska. I'm not sure what they're building there. Lot's of "touristy" types around at this point. I took a brief pause at the Lake, then moved on. I went through the parking area, down the road and grabbed the Awosting Falls/Trapps Carriageway. After my final rest stop at Awosting Falls, I began the final schlep back.

A little past the Lyons Rd. crossing and big switchback, I cut over to 44/55 and walked along until I got to the Trapps Hamlet Path. I took this back to the lot, not stopping for any of the interesting stuff along the way since I had just been there a few days previous. At this point, I was just happy to walk on soft trail instead of hard carriageway and paved road. Back at the car, I had that classic mix of exhaustion and satisfaction.

Matt

Gertrude's Nose is always worth visiting. I introduced FunkyFreddy to this vista two years ago on a spectacular autumn day. Look forward to meeting you on Sat. 5/21. I probably will not hike with you as I go much slower. Good hike report and I can tell you are in great shape with that venture.

askus3 said:
Gertrude's Nose is always worth visiting. I introduced FunkyFreddy to this vista two years ago on a spectacular autumn day. Look forward to meeting you on Sat. 5/21. I probably will not hike with you as I go much slower. Good hike report and I can tell you are in great shape with that venture.

I've only been out to Gertrude's Nose once, and I avoided it on this hike because I wanted to get all the way out to Mud Pond. As I mentioned, I had some nice views of Gert's from Hamilton Point Carriageway. I could also hear voices and what sounded like car door slams coming from over there. I believe that would have been trail maintainers, who probably could have brought a truck within a quarter mile or so of the place they've been working on. They're fixing the eroded area on the slope near the power line.

I hope you're right about the "great shape" I'm in. I was pretty knackered at the end of this one.