Maine & Canada Peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Papa Bear said:
is "East Saddle" blocking Saddle from this angle?
If you look at your map you are looking end on at Saddle, the humps are obvious from the side
Did you come in from Canada or the US? Why did you cut straight from "East Saddle" to Twin Peaks rather than hike along the swath to 3060' and then to Twin Peaks? Was it too steep to go down the steep side of Marble on the boundary?
I parked at about where the trailhead is shown on the Canadian side, found the area swarming with moose hunters. Trail wasn't marked then but took a woods road to the border near Marble, side trip to Marble then to Saddles and down to col beyond. From there direct line to Twin Peaks crossing woods road near brook where I met the hunter, who knew he was not in Canada and had rifle slung. I think the direct route was shorter and also less chance of being shot. I don't know whether Marble is too steep as I never hiked that section, my guess is it could be done.
Looks like a wild and beautiful area.
Certainly not as wild as before they built the trail :) although I'm sure moose season is far worse in any case.