Mill Mountain 6-22-2014

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeRmudfun

Reaction score
On our continuing quest to stand on every site a fire tower is, once stood or was proposed brought us to Mill Mountain in Stark, NH for #58 of 92. Mill Mountain is a pure bushwhack as there are no trails that go to the summit.
The plan was to go and video Milan Hill for the project we are working on, but we had to drive right pass Millbrook Road to get there, so I thought why not kill two birds with one stone. Famous last words, we didn’t have a topo map with us! We were not prepared for this hike, nor did we have the proper equipment with us. It was a spur of the moment thing, when I realized, heck it’s only 0.6 miles to the summit…big mistake. LOL
As we headed in, it seemed like it was going to be OK, we went through an old logging area which lead into the wood. As we hit the side of the mountain, it got steep then dense with a lot of blowdowns, so I rerouted a line up to the side of the summit and up we went. It was a little tough, but we did OK. Once we got to that spot, we were an additional 1/4 mile off, we bushwhacked towards the summit hoping to find the fire tower remains.
The whack over to the remains was interesting. There is a lot of dense woods that we had to work around, but we were successful in finding the remain. First was the crooked outhouse, then the fire wardens cabin, followed but the fire tower that looked more like it feel down than it was removed.
After that my wife lead the way down and her Micmac Indian senses came shining through. Yes the descent was so much easier than the ascent that I lead was. LOL Oh yeah, it took so long that it was too late to go film Milan Hill.
We did post a video if anyone is interested in seeing it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp_uXV5fnYQ&list=UUvonD5mWIH03yQY3eosLwcQ

Last edited: