Moxie Bald Mountain 7.21.13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomcat32

Reaction score
I hiked here before as recently as last December but never to the north peak which is a mile beyond the summit and a .7 mile side trail. All I can say is wow. This is definitely one Maine's secrets. I don't think it sees many since it is off the beaten path and on no lists. If Maine had a 52 with a view, I'd put it on there. It is barely mentioned in any guide books and understated. It has a long open summit and 360 views, much better than the main summit which has decent views itself. It's a long logging road ride into the trailhead so that probably deters some for hiking the 197th highest summit in Maine at 2630'. Anyone passing here on AT I very highly recommend this side trip. Also the biggest blueberry crop I ever seen. I rememberd the blueberries from my AT thru hike and that's why I chose this hike today and man was I not let down. I gathered a full Cool Whip container of berries. Beautiful day, great views, and excellent blueberries. I nice change from my last hike, the Pressie Traverse.

Pics and full report at my blog http://tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com/2013/07/moxie-bald-mountain-blueberry-feast.html

Thanks for this inspiring report and blog. We were in the area a few weeks ago as we took the scenic route from Bingham to Shirley enroute Greenville and it seemed like an inviting area to come to paddle and hike. Mosquito Mountain is nearby and it too has a bald peak with some interesting rock formations on the way. There are three public boat launches in the area: Moxie Pond, Austin Pond and Bald Mountain Pond. There are numerous legal campsites in the area and leantos on the AT.

I might add that we took the road from the launch at Moxie Pond to Shirley. It is called "Shirley Mill Road" in DeLorme, a "jeep road" on Plum Creek's map, "Shirley Tote Road" on the sign and an ATV trail by locals. It is doable with 4wd and high clearance but there was one washout that might not be passable with too long a wheelbase (I have an Xterra).

I've never been but Bald Mountain Pond in particular seems like it would be a good place to paddle. If you know the area there are some decent loops to mountain bike between Greenville, Shirley, The Forks, and Moxie Bald area. Even on weekends I never see much ATV traffic (nothing like snowmobile traffic in winter).

Awesome, tomcat. I totally agree about North Peak being the superior and less known of the two. Totally gorgeous and worth every inch of the side trip. The idea of going paddling up there sounds pretty nice, too.

great pix, moxie bald, I've thought about checking it out the last few yrs, hope this fall, thanx for the reminder!

Last edited: