Mt.Paugus

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
Made our third ascent of Mt. Paugus on 10-31-23. Old Mast rd., the Kelly trail and the Lawrence trail is our chosen route. This is a fantastic hike out of the famous Ferncroft parking area. It is defiantly stick season, we never saw another soul and waded through 10 inches of fallen leaves. The box canyon on the Kelly trail was again a pleasant trip and the brook was low given the rain we have had; it runs off quickly as there is little terrain feeding into it. The summit was nice, although it was chilly, my Puff made it's first appearance and the colder temps were welcomed by my trusted companion Shay. This marks #13 for our third round of the 52wav list and my dogs 117th 52wav peak. While the tallest summits of the Whites have been covered in winter, the 52wav are still in the clear and fall is hanging on.

Sounds like a good trip. I never got around to visiting Paugus. Always thought it would be an interesting hike, but I seldom climbed peaks that didn't have 360 panoramic views (once I got all my peakbagging out of my system). They didn't fit my awesomeness to driving distance ratio:)

Sounds like a good trip. I never got around to visiting Paugus. Always thought it would be an interesting hike, but I seldom climbed peaks that didn't have 360 panoramic views (once I got all my peakbagging out of my system). They didn't fit my awesomeness to driving distance ratio:)
Views are nice, but they are not what drives me to a summit. I like the routes themselves and the forest along the way. Trees, fauna, wildlife, and the physical aspect of hiking as well, that's what motivates me. Mt. Hibbard is in the same neighborhood as Paugus and is completely wooded over. It's a great hike with really cool trails, I plan on repeating again soon. AS far as driving goes, I love to drive.

Made our third ascent of Mt. Paugus on 10-31-23. Old Mast rd., the Kelly trail and the Lawrence trail is our chosen route. This is a fantastic hike out of the famous Ferncroft parking area. It is defiantly stick season, we never saw another soul and waded through 10 inches of fallen leaves. The box canyon on the Kelly trail was again a pleasant trip and the brook was low given the rain we have had; it runs off quickly as there is little terrain feeding into it. The summit was nice, although it was chilly, my Puff made it's first appearance and the colder temps were welcomed by my trusted companion Shay. This marks #13 for our third round of the 52wav list and my dogs 117th 52wav peak. While the tallest summits of the Whites have been covered in winter, the 52wav are still in the clear and fall is hanging on.
Did you bag the peak? I've been up there twice but still haven't made the whack. Also interesting is that there was a trail, Currier Brook Trail, that went over the Northwest ledges and the peak, to meet the Lawrence/Old Paugus intersection on the South summit. That might be a fun whack.

Did you bag the peak? I've been up there twice but still haven't made the whack. Also interesting is that there was a trail, Currier Brook Trail, that went over the Northwest ledges and the peak, to meet the Lawrence/Old Paugus intersection on the South summit. That might be a fun whack.
I stop at the open top with the signs, I have never bushwhacked the .3 to the wooded top, it's not required for the 52wav list and I deplore bushwhacking.