Mt Whiteface with the McCrillis'

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IQuest

Reaction score
I know, I know, another wek old report. :oops:

Last Monday Marlie and I headed out for Mt Whiteface and get some redlining done along the way. Unfortunately my alternator on my truck had started acting up and when the guages on my dash all went flat I figured I should pull over. So, at 6:30 am in the parking lot of an out of business store in West Rumney, I swapped out my alternator with a spare I had in my tool box. 8) After flagging down a friendly guy on a local FD for a quick jump start, I was back on the road in just over 30 min.

We arrived at the parking lot for Flat Mtn Pond Tr on Whiteface-Interval Rd and headed up the trail. It was a gravel road at first then a nice stroll through the woods. We crossed White Brook and into the Sandwich Range Wilderness the soon we were onto the McCrilis Tr. This less popular route up Mt Whiteface ascends moderately through hardwoods at first then steeper over some ledgy areas before reaching the south ledges of Mt Whiteface and the Rollins Tr. The snow had started just as we enetered the conifers and was up to 2 feet in depth. There was no obvious monorail but the snow was firm and held me well. I post holed less than 10 times over this miles stretch. I carried snowshoes and microspikes but was too lazy to dig them out.

McCrillis Tr

20140429_12.JPG

Marlie at the South Ledges

20140429_26.JPG

We then took a quick trip over to the true summit of Mt Whiteface then returned to the South Ledges for quick break. The Rollins Tr had about 3 feet of snow but the monorail was firm and bareboots or microspikes would work well. We had still not seen any other hikers. We then headed down Blueberry Ledge Tr taking many pictures from the ledges along the way. The ledges were clear of snow and ice and dry for the most part. Marlie was at the bottom of most of them before I even got a look. The decaying monorail and ice lasted alot longer and was at lower elevation than on the McCrillis Tr. I assume from heavier travel througout the winter. We met two others on the ledges that came up the Tom Wiggin Tr and one more on Blueberry Ledge Tr and that woud be it for the day. We soon reached the junction of McCrillis Path and made our way back over to Whiteface-Intervale Rd.

The first section was very nice and smooth but the relocated portion is much rougher and passed through some hardwoods.

McCrillis Path

20140429_40.JPG

However it does pass by some fine views and this mini gorge which still had some ice.

20140429_43.JPG

The path then joined a nice grassy cross country ski trail, then a driveway, and eventualy Whiteface -Intervale Rd. It was about 3/4 mile back to the parking lot but with views like this who can complain?

20140429_49.JPG

20140429_50.JPG

Another great hike!

Here are the pics: https://plus.google.com/photos/117581678131843187857/albums/6007899123163384529

NETC: http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/viewreport.php?entryid=16439