Pharaoh Wilderness - Treadway and Clear Pond Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brien

Reaction score
I arrived at the Putnam Pond parking lot (in the Pharaoh Wilderness) at 6:45am but waited for the rain to pass and finally got underway about 7:30. I DEET'd up and started my way down the trail that brings you towards Grizzlie Ocean & Pharaoh Lake.

I took my time and photographed here and there along the way - lots of Efts everywhere. When I arrived at the juncture for the Clear Pond trail and Mt. Treadway, I took it. This part of the trail, though short, was very buggy.

When I came to the juncture for Mt. Treadway, I took that and began a nice stroll towards the top. Again, I was in no rush at all. I stopped several times along the way to enjoy the wildflowers and general landscape. There were several Mosquito conventions taking place and I tried not to be the center of attention. When I came to the first clearing where the cairns help guide you up, I rested for a bit and spotted a Garter Snake hanging out - so I spent some time photographing it. When I finished, I proceeded up.

It took another half hour before I reached the top. It was windy, cloudy and looked as if the sky could open up at any time. Since I had rain gear and didn't hear any thunder, I enjoyed the views, drank some water, had a power bar then lit a cigar and enjoyed my solitutde.

I stayed up top for about an hour and then headed down. I ran into a few folks on thier way up and had a few nice brief chats. When I came back to the juncture for the Clear Pond Trail, I went north - the opposite from where I came. This trail would bring me all the way around Putnam Pond, past Mud Pond. Clear Pond and Rock Pond. The walk from the juncture to Clear Pond was a military training zone for Mosquitoes. They were merciless. When I came to Clear Pond though, they literally disappeared - maybe it helped that I added and extra coat of DEET.

I relaxed at Clear Pond for a half hour and then proceed the mile and change walk to Rock Pond. Parts of this trail were very wet and muddy. Also the bugs continued their training on this end as well.

I arrived at the beautiful Rock Pond and Little Rock Pond to a brief break in the weather. The sun decided to make an appearance. Again, the bugs went away - without a DEET treatment. I took a few pictures, had a drink and a snack and again, strolled and rested and took in the views. I also spotted a Loon as it casually swam around the lake, making its dives and resurfacing many times.

It was then time to make the last push. From the Little Rock Pond back to the parking lot was about 2 miles (give or take). It is nice walk with little ups and downs - though the ups at this point were wearing on my feet and I was now sweating like I was being paid to manufacture it. Still it was very enjoyable and I tried to take in the sites but I have to admit, I spent a good deal of the time looking down - something I try not to do while hiking - you miss too much.

I finally made it back to my car by 3pm. It was what the doctor ordered for me. I was tired but overjoyed. Unlike some hikes where time becomes a premium, I was under no such contraints or personal goal times. The fact that it took me as long as it did was a testament to being able to enjoy the great outdoors for all its glory.

As for the mosquitoes - they were bad in the trails leading from the Treadway juncture to Clear Pond and then again to Rock Pond but the rest of the time they weren't that bothersome.