Twins, Bonds, & More Twins 8-18-13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IQuest

Reaction score
Marlie had wanted to revisit the Bonds ever since she missed my last trip in March. I promised her that we would go there before the end of the summer. She also expressed interest in approaching from the Twins rather than Zealand. Then I decided to up the ante and pretend that Lincoln Woods Tr was closed and exit to Hancock Overlook via Cedar Brook and Hancock Notch Tr. I had a friend all lined up to go and we would meet in Lincoln at 4am to spot cars, then at 5:45 Saturday evening, he bailed. :x Now what? How about an in and out from Haystack Rd. 1.9 miles shorter and only 300' more of elevation gain.

We arrived on Haystack Rd at 5:30am. At the trailhead cars were overflowing along the road but I was able to park comfortably next to the kiosk. We had boots/paws on trail at 5:50am and headed up the North Twin Tr. The river was low and I stuck to the trail proper which receives far less traffic than the bypass. This half mile of trail to the second crossing is smooth, wide, mostly straight, and less ugly than the bypass. The second crossing was easily rock stepped as well, although I would later hear of people taking off their boots to cross. All of the rocks but one were dry at the third crossing and the birch tree was nearby for support if necessary.

Then came the climb. This section of trail kicked my *ss back in January and it was getting the better of me this day. Thoughts of turning back at South Twin crossed my mind but then I would have to come back again so Marlie would be happy. :roll: With my head down and one foot in front of the other I found us on the NE ridge at 7:45 then at the summit at 7:55. OK, it's not even 8am and I've already up at 4700', plan A it is. :D

Franconia Ridge over Galehead.

20130818_8.JPG

After a short break we headed down the North Twin Spur over to South Twin for another quick break. Some NoBo AT hikers showed up and after a short chat Marlie and I headed down the Twinway towards Guyot.

Guyot, Bond, & West Bond

20130818_12.JPG

This section of the Twinway goes by incredibly fast with fairly level terrain and numerous bog bridges. We soon reached the Boncliff Tr, turned right and headed over the southern knob of Mt Guyot. We passed the spur to the campsite the turned right on the West Bond Spur and at arrived at the summit of West Bond. It was 9:45am. :shock: I swear there was a time warp somewhere.

Yes Marlie, we will get to climb that again today.

20130818_28.JPG

After a good 15 minutes we headed back to the Bondcliff Tr and finished the climb up Mt Bond. From there were could see our final peak, yeah right.

20130818_39.JPG

We descended to Bondcliff where I got these two pics that made it all worth it. :D

20130818_44.JPG

20130818_45.JPG

After a short break and finding two pack of Raymon Noodles in a cairne, we began our return to Haystack Rd. I was dreading the 650' reclimb of Mt Bond but with scenery that amazing I didn't even notice the first 300'. I then said goodbye to a man that we had been leapfrogging since South Twin (he came from Galehead Hut to Bondcliff and back) and headed back to the Twinway. On the Twinway I saw an older man with pink shorts, pink shirt and pink wig (or died bushy hair). If I had know, I would have thought he caught something from Henrietta. :wink: The final push up South Twin was a real grind but it made the final push up North Twin a piece of cake. We were both glad to reach the first water we came to onthe North Twin Tr. There was next to no water along the ridge and I did not want to descend to Guyot Campsite unless I absolutely had to so we had been rationing. We stayed on the trail the entire way out and arrived back at my truck and the overflowing parking lot at 3pm.

NETC: http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/viewreport.php?entryid=13720

The Pics: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/...s/5913654430587038625?authkey=CLKw26zq5Me99wE