The Black Crescent Talus Fields, 6-Months Later (Crescent Range: 25-Sep-2009)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Almost 6 months ago (24-Mar-2009) to the day, I accompanied my friend Steve on a snowshoe hike to the talus fields on Black Crescent Mountain which is located in the Crescent Range (Click HERE for the Trip Report filed for that trek).

This is one of those hikes that I wanted to repeat in the summer or early autumn just to see how this area appeared without a snow cover. I’ll cut to the chase and say that I think that this is one of those hikes where the views are more striking in winter. Although the Presidentials are breathtakingly beautiful all year round, in my opinion it’s tough to compete with the awesome sight of the Presidentials covered in snow.

Below is a photo taken of the snow-covered Presidentials from the talus field on Black Crescent during my March trek.
100_1277.JPG

Please don’t misunderstand. My September hike to Black Crescent was extremely pleasurable on many different levels. For one thing, it was really fun to make comparisons in mind as to how such & such place appeared in March vs. September.

In many of my Trip Reports for treks in the Crescent Range, I’ve made mention of moose sign being prevalent in this range, and also that I’ve frequently spotted moose from a distance. Well, on this September trek to Black Crescent, I had a somewhat different moose experience!

As I was bushwhacking in tall brush I heard a moose bellowing just a short distance away. The bellowing, plus the sounds of a moose tramping through the forest came closer and closer. It wasn’t long before I could see the sketchy image of a massive “Mr. Moose” with a huge rack looking at me through the thick brush. I don’t speak “moose” and so I’m uncertain if it was an amorous bellow, or an irritated bellow. I figured either way I could be in trouble. If he thought I was a girl moose, then that could be a problem. And, if he thought I was another guy who had invaded his territory, then that might spell a different kind of trouble.:eek:

Perhaps someone can tell me what I should have done, but what I ended up doing was to slowly pull out my camera and fire off one snapshot (below). Then, I started talking rather loudly saying inane things like “OK, time to run along now. Bye! Bye!” I kept babbling as I went my own way. The moose did not follow. So, I guess he figured out that regardless of my gender, I was not a moose!

So, here is the rather sketchy photo of the moose that I got before I opted to exit the scene!
MrMoose.JPG

And, below are a few other snapshots taken from my “September edition” of the trek to the talus fields of Black Crescent.

Approaching the Talus Field
P1010155.JPG

Looking Southward from Talus Field: Carter-Moriahs + Portion of Presidential Range
P1010149.JPG

Looking Eastward Across Talus Field Toward the Androscoggin Valley
P1010145.JPG

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
Wow, what an encounter! For the most part you did pretty well. Just make a lot of "human" noise and try and find a sturdy tree you can move to block him. But sometimes there is not much you can do. I knew of a guy who was chased by an amorous cow moose and he had to climb a wood pile before she would break off....and mind you this is a screaming (probably more like wailing!) man. :D And as the moose over on Zealand Tr. last winter proved sometimes they just want to play no matter what :eek:.

Nice views from the talus field. I actually kind of like the picture of the summer Presis over the winter, but I know pictures never truly capture what it really likes to BE there, so that could be part of it.

Brian

Last edited:
NewHampshire: Brian, thanks for your reassuring words that I did pretty well with my evasive actions during my moose encounter.
At no time was I truly frightened, but I was certainly wary!

Mtruman: Mark, thanks for your response. Yup, that particular juxtaposition of the Presidentials and the Carter-Moriah Range is sort of unique for the northside of those two ranges. From the southerly side of those two ranges, there is a somewhat similar view from the Doubleheads.
Below is a photo taken from South Doublehead which might demonstrate what I’m talking about.
CarterNotch_fr_Doubleheads.JPG

NeoAkela: Chris, thanks for your kind words!

Ahhh! Jealous! It's so hard to find bull moose in autumn. As far as right thing to do...who knows? Your common sense was all that mattered. Nice going!

Thanks for posting the views, as well!

happyy autumn :)