Cheap Sleeps in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks cantdog! i'll check it out.

i've stayed at hiker's paradise both bunkroom and motel room and have always been informed of the 3 day policy. bruno (the other bruno!) must've just forgotten to tell you.

Early breakfast

Most have a stove or microwave where you can heat your oatmeal.

Burger Kings (Conway and Gorham) tend to open quite early, though that may vary from place to place

I should have read this thread sooner...

Last Friday, on the spur of a moment, we packed the car with camping gear and headed off to the Whites. Our plan was to eat supper in Conway then head over to the Kanc and car camp for the weekend. Well you guessed it, all 6 WMNF campgrounds along the Kanc where full! So we figured no problem, we'll back track over the Bear Notch road to Crawford Notch where there's 2 Private, 1 State, and 3 WMNF campgrounds. YUP, all full! So now it's getting dark. We drive into Twin Mountain and check out the campground "in town". They had 3 sites available, we checked them out, we leave. Running out of options we decide to try to snag one of the primitive sites along the Gale River Road. Right again, no empty spots, all full. In defeat, and darkness, we headed back into Twin Mountain and stayed at a cabin for $75.00 per night. Ouch.

Onestep

Someone asked for a good place for supper in the Gorham area. I would recommend Wilfred's (across from the Royalty) not a particularly challenging menu but they do a good job with everything they serve. Just to shoot down the fact that the area doesnt have any "great" places to eat, Libby's Bistro in Gorham has gotten good reviews from regional gourmet magazines and has people who drive up from the Conway area to eat. The chef/owner worked with Julia Child. (plan on $100 plus for a meal for two!)

If you are willing to drive a bit, the Dairy Bar in Berlin on Rt 16 serves supper and has beer and wine. Another new place in Berlin is Valley Creek Eatery, the tough part is finding it. It is across from the hockey arena in the old KFC building. Most out of towners may find it when they miss a turn on Rt 110.

Onestep,

In the future, if you are out of luck on campgrounds in the Whites, I would suggest the Crazy Horse campground in Littleton, NH. Its a little out of the way (10-15 minutes from Twin Mountain) and someone pricey ($24 for a tent site) but the actual tent site was nice and secluded and they allow pets. Showers nearby.

Crazy Horse

Just to give a little feedback/recent info update, I stayed at Hiker's Paradise Friday night. I got the $17 price and a cozy bunk. If you go with the bunks, you needn't worry about any cancellation fee as you cannot make reservations. That being said on the Friday, there were only three people bunking. More folks were staying at their motel.

For dinner, I went (against my better judgement) to Fortune Cookie for Chinese buffet since I knew I wouldn't have to wait for food (key factor). My waitress was very friendly and attentive despite my musky scent :D. Most of the food was average, neither really good or really bad but, the hot and sour soup was amazing! Seriously, it was some of the best I've ever had. I had two cups! I would recommend this place if you are coming off the trail and you've got a big appitite and don't want to wait for your food.

Stayed at Lyon's Hospitality on Sunday night. Had the entire place to myself. Doug, the owner is great and very interested in serving the hiking community. I was not there long (7:30PM-4:45AM) but found the place to be clean and comfortable and would recommend it to anyone. You cannot find a better spot near the Twins, Galehead and Garfield Ridge! He mentioned to me that shuttling hikers to trailheads is something that he would do.

sapblatt said:
Stayed at Lyon's Hospitality on Sunday night. Had the entire place to myself. Doug, the owner is great and very interested in serving the hiking community. I was not there long (7:30PM-4:45AM) but found the place to be clean and comfortable and would recommend it to anyone. You cannot find a better spot near the Twins, Galehead and Garfield Ridge! He mentioned to me that shuttling hikers to trailheads is something that he would do.

Mike - What was the cost?

Mike - What was the cost?
The cost is $20 per night.

I stayed there a few nights recently and agree it is a bargain, especially since things are a bit slow up there and you might have the place to yourself.

Unfortunately, Doug presently doesn’t plan on staying open for the winter.

sapblatt said:
Stayed at Lyon's Hospitality on Sunday night. Had the entire place to myself. Doug, the owner is great and very interested in serving the hiking community.

The last few times I've driven by Lyon's on my way home I've noticed a sign outside that says "Hot Showers $5." I assume this means that non-guests can stop by to take a (hot) shower for $5. If so, it's an unusual service this side of the mountains.

Double Bow said:
There's a good place in Gorham for dinner called J's. Great steak and good bar. A little pricey but, not too bad.

Shrimp scampi there is very good too!

Fred

He's one of us! :)

sapblatt said:

I just made reservations and the owner asked me where I had heard about his establishment. When I told him, "An online hiking board", he said, "Oh, VFTT?"! It turns out he's a registered user, but I won't 'out' him.

Regarding shuttling, has anyone heard if the trail head thieves have been caught, or if the thefts have stopped? I might take him up on his offer, if it's safer to leave my car in his parking lot.

lyons hospitality

i tried to get the discount this weekend but no go.still stayed 3 nights.clean not so quiet(fireworks).i will return..

I'm staying at the Gorham Motor Inn next Tuesday night for $ 38. For a non-bunkroom, regular motel-type lodging that price was irresisitible.

another thumbs up for Lyons

I was very pleased. Was expecting the bunkhouse deal where you are crammed in with a whole bunch of other people, most of whom are snorers. There are basically a few motel rooms which have been converted to bunkrooms. Very clean and kind of a dormitory atmosphere. Mine had two rooms side-by-side connected with an open doorway. Each room had a small bathroom w/ shower, one room had two full-mattress bunkbeds, the other had four twin-mattress bunkbeds. There were couches and tables and a fan and a small refrigerator. Room rate also allows use of a nearby kitchen. Aside from having to provide your own linens and a partial loss of privacy (though I got the whole room to myself), it's a nice place & well worth it. The owner/manager was very helpful & friendly.

Unfortunately the place is now for sale. :(

arghman said:
I was very pleased. Was expecting the bunkhouse deal where you are crammed in with a whole bunch of other people, most of whom are snorers. There are basically a few motel rooms which have been converted to bunkrooms. Very clean and kind of a dormitory atmosphere. Mine had two rooms side-by-side connected with an open doorway. Each room had a small bathroom w/ shower, one room had two full-mattress bunkbeds, the other had four twin-mattress bunkbeds. There were couches and tables and a fan and a small refrigerator. Room rate also allows use of a nearby kitchen. Aside from having to provide your own linens and a partial loss of privacy (though I got the whole room to myself), it's a nice place & well worth it. The owner/manager was very helpful & friendly.

Unfortunately the place is now for sale. :(

We stayed in 1 of the private rooms. We still had access to the common room, which had tv, microwave, coffee maker (Byoc), stove, frig, etc. All of these things were in our own room too, which could have slept 4 (on 3 beds). We met sapblatt and pat and audrey while we were there.

Thanks again to Arghman for taking us to see the 'sights', and finding that cheap gas station we drove right by the first time!

Hostel vs. private room personal pref...

I personally like staying the bunk spaces. I almost always hike solo (not by choice) and I like the chance to hang out and chat with other hikers. It also helps me get up a good hour vs. private room where I might sleep until 11am if I'm not careful.