Cheap Sleeps in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...and on the restaurants subthread, Welsh's in Gorham is closed and for sale. :(

[I seem to have the kiss of death (no wisecracks please :( ) for discovering some of these places shortly before they change hands or close up shop. The Magalloway River Inn in Wentworth's Location burned the winter after I stayed there. (Haven't been to their new cabins, not exactly inexpensive and it's not the same as a nice old inn with a front porch and a cat that likes attention.) There was also a B&B in Hill, NH which I stayed at w/ friends, loved it, and at breakfast the owners mentioned it was for sale.]

Sleeping Giant said:
I'm staying at the Gorham Motor Inn next Tuesday night for $ 38. For a non-bunkroom, regular motel-type lodging that price was irresisitible.

I had called this establishment looking for a room for my family during columbud Day weekend and it was almost triple the price per night. I can understand it being higher during foliage and a holiday weekend, but come on!

That's one of the reasons why I try to make my escapes to the mountains during weekdays, not weekends. I guess the high fliers on holiday weekends are subsidizing my puny $ 38 contribution!

Maine western mountains?

what about the area east of Gorham? Any thumbs down, thumbs up places?
any feedback on the Andover Guest House, that's the only one I've heard of in the past but can't remember whether it was supposed to be a good or bad place.

I will vouch for the Andover Guest House being a good place. The diner next door offers top notch greasy spoon fare.

Pig Pen said:
I will vouch for the Andover Guest House being a good place.
ditto here. they have apparently changed ownership (now called Andover Roadhouse) but I stayed there 10/15/05 and the place was clean & very reasonably priced & owners friendly. More bunks in the bunkroom (around 10 I think) than Lyons (which had 4 in the room I was in), but they give you blankets & towels. The place caters to AT thru-hikers. (there was one NOBO there who "flipped" and was finishing his final section from Katahdin heading back south to Gorham)

About a 30-45 minute drive from Grafton Notch.

Bob Kittredge said:
Hostelling International - Conway
http://www.conwayhostel.com/
~$25 - Nice common rooms; shared kitchen facilities.
Just spent my first night there and found it to be very nice. Very clean, nice big building with many bunk rooms. Large common area/living room with books and TV/VCR, kitchen, bathroom had two showers with good hot water. Staff was very friendly and actually quite knowledgable about hiking destinations. Cost less than $22 and they get a big thumbs up from me

An update on Gorham NH. Welch's has been closed for quite awhile, Wilfreds closed last year. There is a gourmet lunch place next to Libbys Bistro. The two chinese food places are closed (one may reopen). There is a new place next to the Royalty Inn, with a menu similiar to Mr Pizza but a bit better selection. I cant remember the name, but its something like Shorty's mexican road house.

The lodging is about the same, with The Barn and Hikers Paradise still around. There is a new hikers hostel in Shelburne at the White Birches campground on Rt 2. One thing to keep in mind is that there is major construction project starting in Berlin (130 million dollar Federal Prison), this is going to draw labor from all over new england and will tend to overwhelm the inexpensive motel rooms and campgrounds. The work is going to be going on for three years and will be ramping up this year so a little planning in advance may be in order.

A further update, The Barn has been closed for the last few weeks. Not sure if its short term or permanent.

Last edited:
Bumpage.

Thanks to Tom Rankin for pointing to this thread...I was looking for info on places to stay and/or eat. Seemed like a thread worthy or resurrection.

Time for a Gorham update 2008.

Welches restauraunt is back with the traditional menu. Probably a good place for a large group that would overwhelm the Moonbeam.

The Moonbeam is still open, still great food and still a place not to visit if you are in a hurry.

The White Mountain Cafe up the road next to McDonalds was just rated best coffee north of the notches. They have basic breakfasts and lunch (including some veggie options), primo muffins. They also serve a limited beer and wine selection. And they currently have a photo exhibit from the Monkmans. Usually have live acoustic music Saturday nights

No more chinese Food in Gorham, although there are a couple of options in Berlin. Thru hikers will miss the AYCE buffets. The Yokohama is still there (alledged Japanese food).

The former Chinese Restaurant just across the road from McDonalds is being renovated into a sandwich shop, its should be open mid summer.

Libbys Bistro is still a great high end gourmet place to eat.

There is also the restaurant up across from the Yokahama whose name escapes me that has treated hikers well in the past.

The Northland Dairy Bar is still worth the trip through Gorham.

There is a new hikers hostel in Shelburne at the White Birches campground. Very basic but a bit quieter than in Gorham. (I suspect the roar of the trains will be less obvious)

The Barn and Hikers Paradise are still open (HP's is still for sale)

I just spent the night in Lincoln with Lauky at the Pemi Cabins, which I had seen recommended by Tom Ryan on his website. It's not in the $25 categorie, but it is extremely dog friendly which was very important to us. :)

Anyone stay at the Gorham Motor Inn recently? This review: http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-398222-gorham_motor_inn-i has some unflattering things to say, but it still lists $38. That's about the amount of gas I would spend driving home over night. I may be up north both days this weekend, and was considering this option.

I don't want to deal with the hostel-I want a room with a bed and linens and towels. North Conway motels start around $89-$129 (the $89 has nothing left.)

Thanks,
Tim

Tim,

I've stayed there 5+ times - most recently in June - and the rate is always around $40. I've never had a bad experience there.

bob

bikehikeskifish said:
It's $78 right now--I just called. $38 is off-peak.

Giggy -- I don't own a sleeping bag or tent, so it would be hard to camp (unless I slept in my car ;))

Tim

ahhh - yea that would be a problem - then again Wu doesn't use a bag - just a fleece blanket.

cheap stays in gorham area

I tried the Gateway Motel in Shelburne last fall . The mid week rate was 29$..large clean room with 2 beds and good size bath...no tv..well..maybe 3 different versions of snow...don't plan on catching the red sox ..or other amenities but it was a good place to sleep and clean up..It is the kind of place that time seems to have forgotten..