Crockers from CVR

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudolph

Reaction score
I am hiking the Crockers next week from CVR. My new dog will be with me. Are there any ladder or cliff sections I need to be concerned with regarding hiking with her?

Once past Crocker Cirque, the AT gets a lot steeper, with some rough footing at times, but I didn't notice any ladders or cliffs. I believe the AT between the two peaks is mellow as well. IMO, the hardest part, if you're not also doing Redington, is the drive down Caribou Valley Rd ;)

I plan on hitting Redington too. Any issues with with my dog there? She is very agile and sure footed.

There are no ladders to Redington either. My friend had her dog with her and he did fine. (are you going from South Crockers?...that is how we did it....We came down another way but it was very long. We think we would have rather climbed back over South Crocker) Be careful on that road. 2 of the bridges were scary to me. One had 2 boards that moved. We stuck branches under them to stop them from popping up and the other had holes we managed to dodge although I'm not sure how. Have fun!

I tried that last year. Never did find the herd path and it was foggy and rainy and couldn't see Reddington. I think we will try walking up the logging roads the next attempt.

The herd path is very defined and marked now I thought. I did it from the road long ago and don't remember having trouble either.

Herd path was pretty defined in 08 once you got past the AT boundary cut. Got a little thin in the boggy bit before the col, then fine after. Had no problems coming down via the roads; going up might be a little more interesting navigationally.