Terrace Mt

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey J

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I had time for one more hike on 8/25/16 and for some reason, I chose Terrace Mt, perhaps because it has 3 summits in the mid-3000 foot range. (So maybe the checkmarks matter after all?) Another thought was that I had only done one other hike this far north, the classic Cabot, Bulge, Horn loop back in 2011. It also looked like a moderate hike of only 8.5 miles and 2500 feet of elevation gain. Just about right.

I chose to ascend via York Pond Trail and did a clockwise loop. The mostly dirt treadway is easier on the feet than the relentless rock ledges on the Baldfaces. It's an easy couple of miles up to Willard Notch and then a right turn on the Kilkenny Ridge Trail which then climbs steadily up to Terrace (3655'). A couple of thru-hikers on the Cohos Trail just blow past me but they are the only people that I see all day (its a Thursday). I'm moving kind of slowly on the climb today and I think I have one Baldface tied to each foot.

The approach to Terrace is kind of scenic with some restricted views and lots of ferns at ground level. The summit is a well defined spot with a ring of stones and a limited view to what I believe is Mt Weeks. The traverse across the ridge is a breeze and I am finally stepping out, muscles loosened up, and feeling no pain. Middle Terrace (3612') is just a bump on the ridge but North Terrace (3638') actually has a summit sign. It doesn't really feel like much of a peak coming across the ridge in this direction but it would if you were ascending from Bunnell Notch. I don't see any sign of the alleged heli-spot but maybe it's overgrown now or I'm not looking in the right place. There are some limited views of Cabot on the way down to the trail junction. Descending Bunnell Notch Trail is an easy 3 mile walk that takes you back to the early junction with the York Pond Trail.

I probably won't return to this area since Mt Weeks is not really on my radar and a KRT traverse is also unlikely at this point. On the negative side, I did not enjoy the overgrown nature of the lower sections of the York Pond Trail or the Bunnell Notch Trail. IIRC the lower Unknown Pond Trail is similar. I was literally wading thru vegetation in there and then obsessively checking for ticks (none found). This is a place where I think winter hiking would be preferable. However, all in all, it was a very enjoyable day of near total solitude in the north woods.

IMG_0081.jpg
IMG_0088.jpg
IMG_0094.jpg
IMG_0092.jpg

Last edited: