10-13 Morgan and Percival Sparkles

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
Third time's a charm with this one! On my first attempt I was met with nothing but clouds and zero visibility along the entire route....pretty much a stupid day to take that particular hike. The next time the views were far, but skies were not blue, and temps were very cool, and rain threatened, so we were in a rush. This time, the weather was perfect, and the views were perfect.

We started up the Mt Morgan trail around noon and the trail head was so packed that the road had cars parked alongside it up and down for a good quarter mile in either direction. But once we got in, it didn't seem like there were too many people on the trail. Actually, we passed quite a few heading out, so that eliminated a large chunk of the crowds right there.

The climb up Morgan isn't too bad until you get near the summit, when it gets moderately steep and a bit rocky. Then, we got to the ladders, and decided to tackle them, because, its not a fun hike, unless you go up thru the ladders. :)
file.jpg

Once I climbed up and found my way thru what was a very tight situation, we emerged on the other side, into the sunshine, and looking at glorious Squam Lake. From here on up, it was only a little more climbing to the large lookout just below the top. The views from Morgan are great, looking at the Lakes region. We hung out for a bit, watching the red squirrel scamper about, and I , as usual, took some pictures.
Red Hill
file.jpg

Red Squirrel
file.jpg

Then it was off to Percival...actually we went up to the true summit of Morgan first, snapped a few photos off towards the White Mtns ( you could see the snow on Franconia Ridge!). The ridge trail is quite nice. I'd like to follow it from end to end some time, when I have two cars at my disposal. That would make for a nice 10+ mile day. Before long, we were over at Percival, soaking up the views, and chatting with the people as they came by. I even made a friend with a golden retriever named Gracie. Good dog! The views from Percival were even better than I remember from last time.

Squam Lake from Percival
file.jpg

Franconia Ridge, white? :)
file.jpg

Sandwich Dome
file.jpg

The walk down was nice one indeed, though I wanted to stay up there the rest of the day, since the sun was changing the colors of the leaves often. The only downside to the day was that the leaves were not at peak. I was hoping they would be, but what can you do?

Here are the rest of the pics. http://grouseking.phanfare.com/album/447125#imageID=28806444

grouseking

Great pics. That is one of my favorite hikes. I was also surprised by how few people I met on the trail seeing that the parking lot was full (and then some).

Nice.....

I was up there the other day (10/9) with similar weather. I, also jumped the gun on this one and was dissappointed by non-peak color. Don't get me wrong, it was still very nice!! I love that loop through both caves, a real crowd pleaser...

Nice pictures

Thanks for the comments! Seeing that the weather was fairly nice throughout most of the Whites kind of makes me upset that I didn't do something like Cannon mtn yesterday...but next time I suppose. It was a nice mellow walk with wonderful views.

grouseking

I love these peaks - the views of the lake are fantastic. On Morgan you get a little more of a close-up look at Squam Lake, then on Percival the views are from a little farther up and away from the lake, but of course that gives you an even wider field of view. I could sit up there all day.

Also, a bunch of us did most of the Squam Ridge back in July (Doublehead, Squam, Percival, Morgan) and it was a lot of fun. I'd like to do the entire range someday which also includes Mt. Webster, Mt. Livermore, and Cotton Mtn. Maybe someday....

RLC said:
I love these peaks - the views of the lake are fantastic. On Morgan you get a little more of a close-up look at Squam Lake, then on Percival the views are from a little farther up and away from the lake, but of course that gives you an even wider field of view. I could sit up there all day.

Also, a bunch of us did most of the Squam Ridge back in July (Doublehead, Squam, Percival, Morgan) and it was a lot of fun. I'd like to do the entire range someday which also includes Mt. Webster, Mt. Livermore, and Cotton Mtn. Maybe someday....

I also want to do the entire ridge....now that I've had a perfect weather day to do Morgan and Percival, I feel that its time for me get a couple cars and get them on either ends on the trail.

grouseking