3 rescues in High Peaks over weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. Just wow. I blame the internet and the skilled outdoorsmen that frequent sites such as this one. They (we) make the difficult seem easy and the result can be seen in incidents such as those of the past week. :(

Last edited:
Well, the two rescued overnighters blamed the wind!

I wonder too if not having cell phones would make climbers more careful or if only those incidents would have had more dramatic ending?

Last edited:
Well, the two rescued overnighters blamed the wind!

I wonder too if not having cell phones would make climbers more careful or if only those incidents would have had more dramatic ending?

Hopefuly people don't fall back (no punn intended) on cell phones as an "Oh...I'll just call the DEC if there's an emergency and they'll come rescue me" resource.

Wow. Just wow. I blame the internet and the skilled outdoorsmen that frequent sites such as this one. They (we) make the difficult seem easy and the result can be seen in incidents such as those of the past week. :(

Good point. People should have more common sense than that, we should hope.

(Sorry...don't know how to multiple quote in the same post :eek:)

I enjoy reading about the 8000 meter peaks, but I'm not going to rush out and climb them. I haven't even found the weather palatable enough for Washington yet this year (on a day where I could actually go, that is...)

There does seem to be a rise in the popularity of winter hiking, perhaps more so than ever this year, because it has been low-snow and relatively mild.

Tim

Please Stay Home

Whenever I hear about these people , it makes me wonder. Its simple if you are not properly prepared, equipped and , MORE IMPORTANTLY know how to USE your equipment. Please stay home. Quit jeopardizing other peoples' lives.

Whenever I hear about these people , it makes me wonder. Its simple if you are not properly prepared, equipped and , MORE IMPORTANTLY know how to USE your equipment. Please stay home. Quit jeopardizing other peoples' lives.
I've never been 'lost', but I've felt the fury of Winter a few times, usually for just brief periods. I never panicked, but I did get nervous a few times that I might soon be in deep do-do. I don't want to ever have to endure an entire night, or days, of that. I'm sure it wears you down, both mentally and physically.

I've read a lot of these survival stories and what strikes me as a common thread is that people in severe winter conditions get disoriented. Sometimes the stories they tell turn out not to be totally accurate.

I would not be so quick to judge these unfortunate individuals.

I can think of two very well prepared people who frequent this site who in the last couple of years were stuck out over night and who did quite well actually. But for the most part those who go out and get caught by the elements don't frequent any of the sites that could be helpful and informative and that's part of the reason they find themselves unprepared.

I can think of two very well prepared people who frequent this site who in the last couple of years were stuck out over night and who did quite well actually. But for the most part those who go out and get caught by the elements don't frequent any of the sites that could be helpful and informative and that's part of the reason they find themselves unprepared.

I agree that anyone can get caught out no matter how "good" they are and I generally avoid Monday-morning quarterbacking for exactly that reason. But four people flat out getting lost in one week and not having the basic skills to correct their own errors is an eyebrow-raiser IMO. Map and compass. Paying attention to landmarks and surroundings. Outdoors 101. So I'll throw a stone this time even though I'm not very enthusiastic about it.

Something else to note about the last three rescues, and a point made in past discusions...all three were solo. The chances of avoiding, or getting yourself out of, trouble particularly in winter is to hike in numbers. I've read in more than once that an ideal winter hike has at least four people. If one gets hurt, you can still remain in pairs and two heads are usually better than one. :)

Something else to note about the last three rescues, and a point made in past discusions...all three were solo. The chances of avoiding, or getting yourself out of, trouble particularly in winter is to hike in numbers. I've read in more than once that an ideal winter hike has at least four people. If one gets hurt, you can still remain in pairs and two heads are usually better than one. :)
The previous rescue was of 1 of a party of 3 (or 4?) who became separated (left behind) by the group.

And larger groups give more chance of something going wrong...

Long term average accident rates are far more meaningful than a short-term spike.

Hiking in groups is sometimes safer, sometimes more dangerous. Depends on the details...

Doug

The previous rescue was of 1 of a party of 3 (or 4?) who became separated (left behind) by the group.

And larger groups give more chance of something going wrong...

Long term average accident rates are far more meaningful than a short-term spike.

Hiking in groups is sometimes safer, sometimes more dangerous. Depends on the details...

Doug
The NYS DEC says that about 80% of the hiker incidents they respond to have group separation as a contributing factor.

I've seen it happen. People allow themselves to be pushed up hill with the wind rather than push into it to stay on the right direction when they are out in the open and the visibility is diminished.

It is just so critically important to carry a map and compass and know how to use them. When I take groups I suggest that everyone have at least a zeroxed copy of the map inside a ziplocked bag and we periodically check the map and use the compass so that everyone has a sense where he/she is. So many of these people requiring rescue don't know where they are and oftentimes they are close to safety. If they followed these moutaineering basics the Rangers would have a lot less work to do. Those individuals and groups offering trips into the back-country could do more to teach these fundamentals.
-Carl

Carl, agree with you comments.
Above the treeline, though, in bad visibility and high wind, it's hard to use a map, even a small one. Good trick is to do your map homework at home and tape the various compass bearings( up and down) on the back of your compass. Just flip the compass over, dial in your 'up' or the bearing back to where you entered the treeline and bad visibility and roar of the wind plays a much lesser role in getting back to safety.

Interesting idea, I'll have to try that.
My brother and I were whited out atop Algonquin and managed to use our compasses to get ourselves off the top and back down onto the trail. Wasn't easy but we did it.

4 of us climbing Marcy one day. Zero visibility and snow, heavy wind. A few minutes after reaching the summit, a pair of hikers followed. Greetings needed to be shouted to be heard.
The wind obliterated our tracks.
I had the reverse bearing dialed in. The duo started down SE towards Panther Gorge. We showed them the proper bearing and but they insisted that was the way they came up. We finally got them to follow and received a relieved thank you when back in the trees on heading toward ADK Loj.