46 is the sweetest number

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
Wednesday I finished my 46 on santanoni. Took me 10 years. I do all my high peaks in july and august and the first few years I was knocking them off at about 6-8 a summer. Then life started happening. In the previous 4 years I got done 3 peaks. One year I had Plantar faciitis (Just like Eli manning). Did none that year. Then my dog tore her ligament and had to wear the cone and be leash walked for 3 months. :(

https://picasaweb.google.com/adkdib/Bailey#5019200514845699058

I coulndn't very well leave her all day while I had fun!
So I got none done that year.

Then I had a health scare. Thought I was having a heart attack. Had all the test done. I had a EKG, blood test, xrays, and echo. everything was fine. I did not have a stress test becasue I figure climbing Haystack was a good test. GOt one done before the false attack. Turned out to be acid reflux!:eek:

Now i finished them and boy oh boy I never want to see Allen or Couchie again!

Now that the list is done I can concentrate on the ones I want to do again.
First one I am doing the second time was my favorite. Big slide over the brothers. I did not continue on to Yard the first time because I did not realize it was a 4000 footer. Next year I am doing both. Have to do Dix again because it was raining so hard when I did it I spent about 2 minutes on the summit. Thats the only one besides street and Nye that were complete rainouts.

I did not register any of them because I did not realize you had to until I was in the "thirties". I got a sponsor and started with the first (Wright). Then I decided that I did not need a patch or have a number next to my name. I know I did them, just ask my legs.

No more list chasing for me now that this is done.
Winter 46er? forget about it!:D

https://picasaweb.google.com/geodib...id=H0d3FhfZuECJ2q78oELUWw#5643444419238265378

Last edited:
Yeah! Congrats on becoming a forty sixer! I just started hiking them back in June and love them, so much fun....so much mud! :)

Which trails and peaks (other than big slide) were your favorites and which ones were your least favorites? I'm hoping to hit up Big Slide this weekend if the weather is nice, can't wait!

-Chris

Congratulations! It's quite a feeling, eh? I'm still on a high from finishing back in June. Planning to head up in September and hit a few repeats. BTW, I understand completely re the acid reflux...freaked me out until I finally got the correct diagnosis and treatment.

Congrats, always a fabulous journey, whether it takes ya 7 days or 70 years! :p

Santanoni is one of my fav peaks in winter...

jay

Before anyone suggest it, I am not claiming to be a 46er.
If I didn't register them they are not official.;)
Just saying that it feels real good to do them all.

All if you don't count Mcnaughton.

Does everyone continue and do this one just to make sure?

Before anyone suggest it, I am not claiming to be a 46er.
If I didn't register them they are not official.;)

You can still register them and officially become a 46er. You might as well because you should be recognized for your efforts.

It took me from 1976 to 2003 - 27 years to finish them. Sometimes life does interfere with our plans. ;)

Does everyone continue and do this one just to make sure?

Nope. I may at some point, but I figure the four non-4K peaks more than make up for it. :) There's also Yard and Tabletop East. Not exactly sure how McNaughton attained its lofty status as the one which the 46ers put on their peak list (thought not required).

If I remember, they the 46rs ask on the tally sheat if you have climbed MacNaughton but they don't make it a requirement so you don't have to say yes or no or whatever.

I didn't hike MacN. before I submitted by tally but I have eventually climbed it. I still haven't hiked to Yard yet!!!! :p

Jay

favorites, in order :
Big Slide
Giant
Iriquios
Haystack
BASIN/SADDLEBACK
Colden loop
Marcy
McComb (Only slide I did)

Least, in order
Couchie
Allen
Blake
street & Nye (pouring rain all day)
Tabletop

others that might have been on favorites list were done in cloudy weather with no views so I couldn't list them high (Dix & Nippletop)

redo's in order :
Bigslide & yard
Dix from route 73, up slide
Algonquin from Lake Colden (very steep I hear)
Gothics from Cables
marcy from 4 corners

Hey George - great stuff!! Ain't it great?
Then I decided that I did not need a patch or have a number next to my name. I know I did them, just ask my legs.

Love the quote! You may find that there are a few things that enter into some of your decisions...
  • joining the 46r society does allow you to share your experience with others who have done so - and might provide an opportunity to "give back" and "perserve" for others who follow (this is the argument that I make to myself concerning the topic)
  • having chased a list - you might find you'll come up with another "list" - like you already have of "Those that you want to return to!" I'm anxious to go back to Dix for the complete opposite reason... it was a gorgeous day and it was the beginning of a 20-mile traverse so I didn't want to waste too much time sucking up the gorgeous view! Certainly one of the premier ones!!
  • My understanding is that MacN, altho not required, is considered a 4K peak as now most agree that it rises to 4K' - it is a nice climb with some nice views. But 46r's are those who follow the 'original' peaks - that's their gig!!
Congrats again! Hope to see you on one of your favorites!!

Sorry me missed your finish, we (Gary, a friend and I) were visiting the trio this past Wednesday. The weather was absolutely perfect if the trails and herdpaths were not!

And yes you certainly do not need to mail long trip reports to the Historian Office if you do not feel like it to be recorded. The most important is that you had a grand time climbing the 46. All you have to do is mail a short note to the office (address on website - http://www.adk46r.org/) with your name, address, the day and the name of the peak your completed your quest on and I will mail you the two forms that need to be completed for you to become a recorded 46R. Being lazy I am the lone correspondent taking care of climbers who did not for whatever reason wrote before completing the 46 but who would like to be recorded.
Once a recorded 46R you have the option to join the Club (or not) in order to be able to buy patch and other stuff. Last year about 120 of the 329 finishers who were recorded for 2010 chose that option.

Christine

Congrats! 10 years doesn't seem that long to me...sounds like a good amount of time. Spread out the fun!

Karl