4th Annual Adirondack BBQ and Gathering

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My car is going into the garage next Thursday for repairs. Again. Next week will make 3 weeks in a row that I had the car int he garage on my day off from work. A bad thing about german cars is that the part needed to make a repair never seems to be in stock and needs to be ordered. Going to the gathering will depend on the cost of the repair. Obviously, I will not be there on Thursday. It will be disappointing if I cannot make the gathering. I've been at every one of Spencers gatherings. I will admit, I have been getting in more bike riding with all of the car problems.

Heh heh..Thanks Bubba! I know that Basin and Saddleback are a LONG hike!

Dial and Nippletop may be a more realistic choice -- anyone interested??

Hurricane is a great little hike and the view:effort ratio is super weighted on views -- its a short hike, I think it took me maybe 3 hours and that included a good bit of time spent on top. There's a pretty bog bridge section and a fire tower on top, something for everyone. :)

I'm in. This will be my first trip to Adirondack. Looking forward to meet you guys and the mountains.

I would also like to join a hike on Saturday, preferably over 4000' with beautiful trail and awesome views from the summit.

Thank you and looking foward!

Whadup!

Hi there,

Does anyone have a clue as to how many people will be @ the BBQ Saturday night and what everyone's bringing? I was thinking of bringing a salad or a desert? Is anyone in charge? If so, what would you prefer me to bring?

I'm planning on arriving Friday night hopefully before dark and leaving Sunday.

Also, does anyone have an idea what hikes will be taking place on Saturday & Sunday?

Let me know, would you?

Thanx,
Ken

I am up there for 4 days wed-sun that week. the weather report looks great for the whole week so I guess I can post my plans (I want to do haystack on a nice day). So baring a late change for weather I plan on doing Haystack thursday from garden at 6:00 am. plan on doing colvin and blake from ausable club at 6:00 am. Any one need these for theirlist?

Current standing!!

Alright, I admit to being lazy and you make me go back and read. So, then, here's a recap and count: :mad:

Ken:
The Host! said:
My first year I had 20 people show up, 2nd year 40, last year we had around 70 people stopping buy, and camping out-this year who knows?? The forums are getting big with a ton of new members we could cap 100 easy, lets do it.
Best newsflash yet is this:
Friday: Mix of sun and clouds. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the low 60s.
Saturday: Partly cloudy. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the upper 50s.
Sunday: Slight chance of a thunderstorm. Highs in the upper 70s and lows in the upper 50s.

I'm about to start packing!! Here's a recap (send greenies for this favor!!):

VFTT FRIENDS:
Our Hosts and family
Peakbgr
Funky Freddie -- probably not
Jay H (doubtful)
Timmus
Miss Margaret
teejay
Pete Hickey
Daxs (with car??)
bubba (count on it!!)
lumberzac (?)
Artex (90% of him)
Coldfeet
Darren (Aloooooo-ha)
MichaelJ
prino
una_dogger
KenG
dreamer
JohnB
crazymama
Rik (?)
7summits
Neil
peakbagger (the NH variety)
UNFROZENCAVEMAN
LittleBear
Craig
kdk1610
RoySwkr
Johnnycakes (an appearance??)
Tom Rankin
Laurie
Warren (??)

HIKES:
peak_bgr
[Thursday] some bushwhacking in Westport
[Friday] TBD
[Saturday] Bald to Slip to Saddleback to Jay
[Sunday] TBD

una_dogger
[Saturday] Something big

7summits
[Saturday] something 4K and gorgeous (all ADK's!!)

dreamer & JohnB
[Friday] ADK 46 list

Adk_dib
[Thursday] Haystack
[Saturday, 6:00AM] Colvin, Blake

bubba
[Friday] bushwhack... HH??
[Saturday] w/Spence - Bald/Saddleback/Jay

Timmus
[Saturday] Jay Range

teejay & crazymama
[Friday] Seymour

KenG
[Friday] Haystack, Basin, Saddleback
[Sunday] Hurricane

LittleBear/Craig
[Friday] Something tame
[Saturday] ??

kdk1610
[Friday] Jay Range or Eagle Slide
[Saturday] ??

RoySwkr
[Friday] Hoffman
[Sunday] Fire Tower(s) -?

FOOD:
The Hosts -- London Broils
MichaelJ -- corn
bubba -- salad, brownies, zuccinni bread, tomato juice
teejay - coffee w/pot, salt potatoes
Timmus -- Killer home-made dip and nachos
dreamer/JohnB -- mac salad/chicken, bannana bread
peakbagger -- dessert
LittleBear -- chicken quesadillas (mild) and veggie quesadillas (HOT!)
UNFROZENCAVEMAN -- smoked salmon cream cheese spread and crackers

Everybody:
Get to peakbgr (Alan, moderator, not host) about contributions
Bring some 'local' beer for the community beer chest
A musical instrument (and talent??)
Get a VFTT hiker's attitude :cool:

Last edited:
bubba said:
HIKES:
peak_bgr
[Friday] I was thinking Dial and Nippletop via Gravestone Brook. Maybe a jaunt up Henderson for those 100 highest junkies.

una_dogger
[Saturday] Something big

7summits
[Saturday] something 4K and gorgeous (all ADK's!!)

dreamer & JohnB
[Friday] ADK 46 list

Adk_dib
[Thursday] Haystack
[Friday?] Colvin, Blake

bubba
[Friday] bushwhack... HH??

Timmus
[Saturday] Jay Range

bubba said:
FOOD:
The Hosts -- Slab of beef
MichaelJ -- corn
bubba -- salad and brownies

Timmus -- Killer home-made dip and nachos

BTW, very nice avatar, Bubba ;)

I don't think I can make it this year :( , have too much work to do in the city since I played hookey earlier this summer with Bearly Live :) It's too bad, for there are quite a few mountains in the ADK's that are calling to me...... hopefully I'll get to some of them this fall....

Hopefully I'll get to play some music with Neil and Matt again soon as well, late night BTBW moments notwithstanding...... :D :eek: :rolleyes: :)

I hope everyone has a great time again this year and thanks again to Spence for having us!

Last edited:
Now it looks like I can come and will show up late Saturday afternoon. I'll bring my flute. Serious sad news about FF being stuck in the Big Apple.

If you play guitar, bring it! If you play bagpipes uh, well, you know.

Last year Bubba took the leather apron but didn't LindaLou come from Seattle? Or do you have to drive the whole way and go over a 300 foot col? :confused:

Note to anyone reading this thread but not sure if they should come:
Last year was my first barbque and I had soooo much fun. I felt right at home with everyone immediately and had a really good time right from the get-go. If you come you'll never regret it.

Last edited:
Bbq

Thank You Bubba & Timmus!

I'll be there with bells on & guitar in hand, Friday night. Haystack, Basin, & Saddleback sounds like a good start on Saturday if anyone is interrested. Hurricane sounds good for Sunday. But, this is only tentative, depending on how I survive the jam session!

I haven't figured out what I'll bring to the pot luck dinner yet but I'll have a growler of Cooper's Cave Ale! I wasn't sure if Spence was cooking a steamship round or fajitas?

See youse there!

Updates

Thanks for the above posts... Ken, opps, I missed the change in menu and updated that on the list.

I'll continue to update the list for a day or so unless it gets too nutty!! :eek:

Neil, good to see you making it!!

Spence/Brian what's your hikin plans for Friday?? (??? :D )

Thanks!

Thanks Spence for hosting and Bubba for coordinating. Since I've been accused of being too much of a skimmer reader, your last post is perfect! John and I are bringing a mac salad w/chicken. Probably banana bread too. We'll look at your compiled list to figure out where we are hiking. Looking forward to hanging out w/everyone.

Dreamer

I'm doing London Broils for the pot luck-I know changed again.

The hike for Thursday is going to be some bushwhacking in Westport.

Friday still up in the air.

Saturday is Bald to Slip to Saddleback to Jay.

Sunday is up in the air.

The kitchen is open for reheating.

Change in plans, look like I can attend. I expect I will be bringing some sort of desert.

For those long term VFTT'ers, the spaghetti pot has been retired!

peakbagger said:
Change in plans, look like I can attend. I expect I will be bringing some sort of desert.
For those long term VFTT'ers, the spaghetti pot has been retired!

Well, ain't this special!! What do you want to hike???

I'll put you down for Spaghetti!! :eek: (come-on... you don't have to carry if further than...)

Awesome, I'll be bringing some form of gooey, cheesy tamale pie.

Saturday's Saddleback -> Jay circuit sounds interesting, details???

:D

Looking forward to meeting everyone (this is my first official Vftt event!!)

Spencer ...

I've searched my old email and PM's far and near, but can't find my notes. Can you repost or PM me with the directions from the Charlotte-Essex ferry to your house? I have a funny feeling there's a turn in there that I'll otherwise forget.

I am hoping our arrival will have just enough time to set up the tent then head right back on the road to go to Crickets; however, if we're late, should we go straight up 22 from the ferry to join I-87 at exit 34?

Thanks!