A Different Way to Shoot the Cannon Balls (Loop Hike: 04-Sep-2008)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Background:
It’s probably just me, but whenever I look at a trail map for the Kinsman-Cannon area, there’s something that has always bugged me! Take a look at the map below and you’ll see that the Coppermine Trail goes directly toward the Kinsman Ridge Trail, but then just STOPS dead at Bridal Veil Falls!!
Copper2.jpg

I’ve often thought of attempting to bushwhack from the end of the Coppermine Trail up to the Kinsman Ridge Trail. And so, when I woke up on the morning of the hike, I decided that this was the day to “color outside the lines” and give it a try. I further decided to make it a loop by continuing on the Kinsman Ridge Trail over the Cannon Balls to connect with the Mount Kinsman Trail and take that trail back down to Rt. 116, and then road walk 0.9 mile back to the Coppermine trailhead.

This trek was somewhat reminiscent of my recent bushwhack to Mt. Davis from the Dry River Trail to the Davis Path. In both this cases, I did a bushwhack where it seemed (at least to me) that there should be a trail!

Funny Story:
OK, before giving some details about this journey, I’ve got to share a funny story. Probably like most folks, when I bushwhack I spend a lot of time looking down at the ground to make sure that I don’t trip over something, or step in a hole, etc. Today, after looking intently down at the ground for awhile, I raised my head and there I was nearly eyeball–to-eyeball, nose-to-nose with a moose!!

It was sort like one of those awkward moments when you meet someone for the first time and don’t know exactly what to say. So, I decided to break the ice and very softly said to the moose “Hey, how you doin’?” I could tell immediately that this made the moose a bit uneasy, and it very soon began to saunter away from me. But it was looking over its shoulder as if to say, “I don’t know what you are, or what you’re doing here, but this is just way too strange for me! I’m out of here!”

I fumbled around and finally was able to get out my camera and fire off one hurried snapshot just before the moose disappeared into the forest.
Moose.JPG

The Journey:
Whereas it just as easily could have gone the other way, this entire trek worked out even better than I had imagined it would. The round-trip loop took just about 7.5 hours and that INCLUDED time for a lunch-break, plus taking pictures.

I took the Coppermine Trail nearly all the way to Bridal Veil Falls, but left this trail after crossing the wooden bridge (just a short distance from Bridal Veil Falls). From there I immediately picked up the remnants of the old Coppermine Ski Trail and followed it for a few tenths of a mile. Eventually, I veered off the old ski trail and began to head in a more southerly direction toward the Kinsman Ridge Trail. This is where the true whack began.

After about an hour of whacking I checked my GPS to see how far I was from the Kinsman Ridge Trail. It said 0.16 miles. I thought “nah!” I’ve not worked nearly hard enough or whacked long enough to be that close. But guess what?! The GPS was correct! Within another 10 minutes I was on the Kinsman Ridge Trail, just a few feet east of the junction of the Lonesome Lake Trail.

I should add that the whack portion of this trek was through predominately open woods, was never overly steep, and there were no ledge scrambles, tricky water crossings, etc. And I can truthfully say without any exaggeration, the whack portion of this trek was less intense than some of the stretches along the Kinsman Ridge Trail!!

The on-trail portion of the hike also went fine. The trek over the Cannon Balls on the Kinsman Ridge Trail consisted of the well-known PUDs (pointless ups & downs), and traversing over peaks not known for their fine views! However, along the way there are a few mediocre views of the Franconia Range and of the Kinsmans (photos below).
FranconiaRange.JPG
Kinsmans.JPG

The trek down the Mount Kinsman Trail to Route 116 was a breeze (took just slightly over an hour)! And, the road walk portion went very quickly. There’s even entertainment along the way! You get nice farm views on the west side of the road, and on the east side, there are nice views toward the area that you just hiked (photos below)!!
RoadWalk1.JPG
RoadWalk3.JPG

THE BOTTOM LINE TO ALL THIS: I’m probably not the first one to whack to Coppermine Col from the Bridal Veil Falls area. Nonetheless it was still a unique experience for me and great fun to “color outside the lines” by connecting the Coppermine Trail to the Kinsman Ridge Trail. And, it was great to meet the moose along the way, even if it was put off by my attempt to make friends!

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
Very nice! We ran out to Bridal Veil Falls last Satruday and then ascended to the top of the falls. We're thinking it would be a good Winter hike to follow the stream bed back to it's source. Perhaps we will make it a one way hike to Kinsman Ridge now.

Congrats on the moose encounter!

Rats, I was hoping to see a post about the critically acclaimed Burt Reynolds movies. Nonetheless, nice trip report!

1HappyHiker said:
I’m probably not the first one to whack to Coppermine Col from the Bridal Veil Falls area. Nonetheless it was still a unique experience for me and great fun to “color outside the lines” by connecting the Coppermine Trail to the Kinsman Ridge Trail.
Sounds like a nice wack...

Someone else reported a similar bushwack on this bbs several years ago, but I couldn't find it in a search. IIRC, he found Coppermine Col just west of the Kinsman Ridge Tr to be rather boggy.

Doug

Last edited:
suggestion

next time try using his name....Bullwinkle, and talk in a high pitched voice like Rocky!

OMG! I love it! That's a complete hike, IMO. Isn't it wonderful to be so close to a moose?! Awesome! It's a great reward for being out there so much. It reveals such intensity of the forest.

happy trails :)

John, I truly regret not having hiked with you and Zman. Your adventures and sense of humor are a pleasure to read. Thank you! Great TR! :)

Nice!
"Dead end" trails to waterfalls have always sort of bugged me, too. Why end there? The Fletcher Cascades Trail in Waterville, for instance; you can keep going after the trail ends for a nice whack to Flat Mt.

bigmoose said:
Nice!
"Dead end" trails to waterfalls have always sort of bugged me, too. Why end there? The Fletcher Cascades Trail in Waterville, for instance; you can keep going after the trail ends for a nice whack to Flat Mt.
Now you’ve done it!! You’ve “forced” me to add yet another hike to my long list!!
(But seriously . . . thanks for the info!)

Nice! I tried that approach once, but we followed the old ski trail into an impassable swamp and had to turn around. That's great that you were able to make it all the way to KRT. This was a really clever way to do this hike. And I have to point out that I loved hiking the Cannon Balls, I thought they were beautiful woods and a really nice trail walk. :)

You seem to be flying through a lot of peaks lately! Peakbagging the lists? What are your counts?

MichaelJ said:
I tried that approach once, but we followed the old ski trail into an impassable swamp and had to turn around.
It’s possible that you might have stayed on the old ski trail a bit too long. I left the old ski trail at a point where it’s still heading pretty much in an easterly direction. I’m not sure, but I think you begin to run into the swampy area if you continue on the trail after it begins to gradually head more northeastwardly back down toward Coppermine Brook.
MichaelJ said:
You seem to be flying through a lot of peaks lately! Peakbagging the lists? What are your counts?
I’m often asked that question . . . nope . . . not peakbagging . . . just go to places, and try things that seem interesting to me!!

Bravo!!

You're making the Whites a lot bigger by discovering new off-trail challenges and opportunities for exploring new areas. Keep it up! Only problem is you're making life harder for me because you're adding to my personal to-do list faster than I can get out. Slow down!!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
We're All in This Together

Jazzbo said:
You're making the Whites a lot bigger by discovering new off-trail challenges and opportunities for exploring new areas. Keep it up! Only problem is you're making life harder for me because you're adding to my personal to-do list faster than I can get out. Slow down!!! :rolleyes:
Isn’t the VFTT community fantastic!? We all challenge each other (in a productive manner) through the postings of our exploits. I agree with your comments about the personal “to do list”. Various postings by the good folks on VFTT certainly keep my own list growing & growing & growing!!

By the way, thank you for your suggestion to me awhile back regarding a whack to Sachem Peak! You see! We’re all in this thing together . . . and loving it!!

John, have you ever noticed what seems to be a waterfall up high between the Mittersill hump and the first Cannonball? It's visible from I-93 South as you're approaching the Franconia exit. It could just be wet ledge, but it often appears white after a heavy rain or in the spring. Ever been there?

I enjoyed seeing your column in the Ammo Times.

I wonder if that's the same spot that in the winter was a huge, solid ice flow across the trail and then dropping straight down off the steep side?

JJHikes said:
. . . have you ever noticed what seems to be a waterfall up high between the Mittersill hump and the first Cannonball? It's visible from I-93 South as you're approaching the Franconia exit. It could just be wet ledge, but it often appears white after a heavy rain or in the spring. Ever been there?
Hey, thanks for your question! BUT, this can probably be best answered by someone with much more experience than me, like a Steve Smith, or a Mike Dickerman, or some experienced folks on this forum.

Although I don’t pretend to know for certain, I suspect that you’re seeing something similar to Harvard Falls which really pops out at you when travelling north on I-93 after a heavy rain, and during spring run-off, etc.

MichaelJ said:
I wonder if that's the same spot that in the winter was a huge, solid ice flow across the trail and then dropping straight down off the steep side?

I'm not familiar with the trail in winter, but it appears to be a few hundred feet below the ridgeline. I'll take a picture sometime when it's clearly visible.

Wayyy too much fun!

I love the recent surge of off-trail topics and reports - what a way to open up some more adventures to little-known corners of this great area! And it seems that for every one time I travel off-trail, I see or hear of two more places that bear exploring! Now I'll never get to the end of the list! :D