A journey ends atop Katahdin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KPMMBM

Reaction score
In 2006, I decided to return to hiking, a recreation that I had enjoyed many years ago as child. A return to my childhood, a mid life crisis, getting off the couch, a weight loss plan, call it what you want, it has been all of those. I started slow, mostly to waterfalls in Maine & NH. Eventually I added some smaller peaks to the mix. In 2008, I climbed my first 4,000 footer, Osceola in NH. Then the "L" word grabbed a hold of me. There were 48 of these in NH. ME & VT had some too. People did them in different seasons, wow this cool! In 2010, I completed the VT list with a climb of Mt Mansfield on the last day of winter, finishing an hour past official winter. In 2011, a long slog to and from Owls Head completed my NH list. That left only my home state to complete and I hadn't done but 1 or 2 of the peaks at that time. I'll most likely never do the AT and experience the emotion of seing the Katahdin summit sign at the end but yesterday, on a bluebird day like no other I've ever had, my 4,000 footer journey reached a pinnacle atop this mighty peak. I can now claim the any season completion of the 67 peaks in NH, VT, & ME. In the short time I've returned to hiking, I've met a great bunch of people that have brought me along my journey. From the early days with Tex Littig, then connecting with Petch & Crazy Bob, and many AMC hikes in between, I've been fortunate to connect with some of the nicest people. Back at home, having a spouse that has put up with my obsession has been invaluable. While this journey has ended, I now see the path towards many other goals and look forward to many more years and many more new friends.
351xpw4.jpg

A HEARTY CONGRATULATIONS to you Keith. You did GOOD!

You are an inspiration to this "old moutain goat"!

Best wishes on your future endeavors!

Congratulations! Sadly, I won't be able to finish my New England list on Katahdin, as it was my first 4k. Funny you should mention Tex Littig, I actually work with him, and he's done some 4k's and bushwhacks with me. Good people.

I questioned what to do next after I finished the NH 4k's last year, but I found that there were many "excuses", if you will, to keep going out into the mountains.

Cheers,

Bill

Congrats Keith! And what a dramatic peak to finish on! I'm glad to have joined you for one of these peaks and looking forward to more in the future!

Congratulations Keith!

It's been a blast hiking with you. Now the "L" word, is followed by the "G" word !!:eek:

Petch

Congratulations, Keith! What a great mountain to finish on; Katahdin. It was also great to meet and hike with you in Camden on the AMC hike. We were just talking about the hike as we passed thru Camden on our way home and drove past the Towne Line Motel the other day.

Donna:)