Acadia Snow Levels

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
conditions don't get better than this...

I'm in the Bangor area and we just keep getting dumped on. The powder is dry and knee deep.

I just called a trusted source on the island (I'm about an hour away) and he confirmed it's the same there. Most of the usual trails are groomed, although it's already a bit wind blown in the open areas (i.e. not much left on Sargent summit).

Have fun! I'm headed out this afternoon for some yo-yos on Bald Mtn!

Spencer

I was out on North Haven Island and the snowshoeing on New Year's Eve was wonderful. They received another 6 inches or so of snow by yesterday morning (I helped shovel off the deck of the ferry!) and there was even more snow on the mainland. Should be grand!

RoySwkr said:
Looking at the snow depth chart, the places in New England with the most snow on the ground
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/nerfc/graphics/snowmaps/html/snow_depth.html
are Hedgehog Hill near Stratton ME and (can it be?) Snow Mtn near Danforth ME

Ever been to Danforth, Spencer, this might be a good time to check it out :)

What kind of question is that? :D
I have a research site about a mile out of town so I spend a few days there each summer. Of course, the snow is usually gone by then...

I'll be at the other purple hotspot on Sunday!

Spencer

spencer said:
I'll be at the other purple hotspot on Sunday!
Spencer tromped down the Stratton snow so much that it vanished from contention Sunday. Today Danforth is gone too, current hotspot (coldspot?) is N of Jay Pk VT

spencer said:
How as Acadia, Biscuit?
Short answer: Killer. Thanks so much for the tip on the snow.

Slightly longer answer: Snow was plentiful. We skied on the carriage roads on Sunday. Skinned up and "skied" down Cadillac on Monday. Sunday was amazing. Monday less so because the snow was sooooooo sloooooow. I think I made 2 tele turns the whole way down. I could have brought my race skis and just pointed 'em. All in all, though, it was a fantastic couple days.

Photos
D's report
At some point, I'll also update my blog, which is sure to be both enthralling and insightful.

Wow, Tua's with SuperLoops. :) Looks great, nice conditions. I've always wanted to tour the Carriage roads.

Yar dudes and dudettes...looks like a thumpin good time. Looks as if the skinny skis on set tracks was some fun. Them teles look like they were smashin' some potatoes. I'm with Dave have'nt hit this one yet. Congrats on a job well done. :cool:

Right on! I'm glad it was grand for you. I sorry to say I haven't been skiing on the island yet this year but I'm headed down next weekend. I hope we get replenished with snow by then...

There are several B&Bs with super cheap winter rates (I know many are closed but several are still open) so if you head up with way again for some skiing, let me know and I'll make some recommendations.

Cheers!

Of course I'm on Tua's with Superloops! Best touring set up known to man! (Or, I haven't updated my gear in 10 years.)
I wouldn't rush to ski the Cadillac Road. It's not really steep enough. The only way it would really be fast enough would be if it was sheer ice. Then probably not much fun. With the soft snow, we would have been better off with skinny skis.
We stayed at the Aurora Inn right in town. It was fine for about $60.

Here's my thrilling blog update: Jump to it!