Access to Flume Gorge in Spring

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueZ

Reaction score
I'm wondering if the Flume Gorge in Fronconia Notch is accessible right now.

I remember you have to hike to the gorge from the flume visitor center. As I know, it is closed for the season.

Is it possible to hike into the flume gorge from other entrance? :confused:

The Flume Gorge is not officially open. But ice climbers go in all winter. You'll see the well-beaten path to the left of the visitor center building. The parking lot is plowed. There are barriers officially preventing access to the boardwalks further up in the gorge. That's where the ice climbers go. Don't slip there and require rescue. You might be trespassing at that point.

Last edited:
Hi, my father and I were wondering the same thing this winter. We had wanted to hike the Flume Gorge in the winter. We were not sure where to park. Well, when we did it, we found quite a few people ice climbing, and it is apparently a semi-popular place, or so it seemed that day. Anyways, I'm not sure what the legality is on the issue.

For pic, check avatar. :)

yeah bob I used to climb in there alot but its not really that easy for beginners its steep and hard as a son of a bisquit.

To add to what Clown said; on that day we thought we were going to have to 'sneak' in so we had planned to park just North of the Flume parking area and bushwhack in but it wasn't necesary.
Bring crampons if you want to venture beyond the point where they remove the walkway for the winter.
Another picture from that day can be seen here.

Chas