ADK BBQ - wild and ...wet!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubba

Reaction score
It has already been posted that there is simply no way of thanking Maddie and Spence (and 5-year old, soon to be 6-year old, 1st grader Emily) for their open, sharing and carefree hosting of such a simply fun gathering!! Anyone who has been to a VFTT gathering knows we are not short of things and places to entertain, but being guests at someone's home so wonderfully softens all the edges!! Rain or no rain (but who'd know what that is??) Not only do they share their home, but they share their family with us as well!!

Special note and I'll probably get hit for saying this, but hostess Maddie was "under-the-weather" having just undergone medical procedure for kidney stones. It was a sore time for her, but host and party as she could to see us through another great time of gathering hikers.

Previous posts have indicated that some happy times around food and fire transpired, but I'd add that these didn't happen without preparation on trails hosted by the nearby mountains!! There were plenty of hikes happening and many ADK firsts (7Summits, UNFROZENCAVEMAN, dreamer, Craig). On Friday LittleBear, Craig, UNFROZENCAVEMAN (UFCM) and I got an early (afternoon) start for Cascade and Porter with plans for UFCM and I to hike out over Blueberry Mountain back to a spotted car at Marcy Field. Craig is a newbie to hiking and is to be congratulated for his first two ADK High Peaks and the determination of continuing with us over Blueberry. UFCM and I did some trail running after some Rochester based co-eds (Amber and Jenn) and made it to the top in fine time to spend an extended lounge amid wonderful views of the High Peaks and surrounding areas. It had been several years since my last visit here and I was reminded of how nice a view Cascade provides from it's close but set-back position and 360 degree bald.

The second (third) treat for the day was artist Elissa Gore painting atop the summit. I could tell instantly that this was a very talented woman that I was standing over watching paint with ease. She had hiked up with her family who had encouraged her to paint rather than photograph the moment. How nice she was to interact with us, converse and share her work and web address . Take the moment to view her home page and you’ll see how lucky this was – her paintings in mixed media (watercolor, oil) are mostly landscape and nature. A first for me – probably right up there with Neil’s mellow flute melodies. :cool:

On to Porter – the four of us, and then off to Marcy Field parking. The Blueberry Trail is not well maintained (and I believe this is an ATIS maintained trail). There is considerable blowdown where the trail heads down over the ridge toward Blueberry and at different spots along the way the trail is easy to lose for brief moments. The afternoon was quickly drifting into early evening as we slowed our way past Blueberry Mountain and it’s large glacial erratic rock formation (new avatar??). Water was beginning to become a precious commodity as LittleBear and Craig were slurping near the bottle’s bottom. UFCM and I were having thirst pangs for cold beers waiting in the van!! We also thought we could beat the need for headlamps and moved ahead at a faster pace. We hit the trail end, downed a quick one and headed back up with dry shirt and a couple water bottles that were exceedingly welcomed by thirsty hikers about 15 minutes up the trial with headlights glaring!! We missed the “Critters” meal, but made up for it at the Baxter Mountain Inn and ordered up with “only 5 minutes!” until the kitchen closed down!! Very nice meal (although UFCM and I were looking for different table-mates!! (you had to be there…) :p

The Friday prep party and arrivals were well underway when we arrived back at our weekend home. Plenty of hellos, a few cold ones to re-hydrate :rolleyes: and bedded down at a decent early hour for an early start for the day on Saturday.

[Note: I've had this in the background all day and finally finished it this evening. I see Peak_bgr has posted a trip report -- see if we did the same hike!!] About 7AM Peak_bgr, Bushwacker, Timmus and I headed out for Saddleback and Jay Peak via a route that took us over Bald and Slip mountains. A bushwack all the way, except for the final mountain dismount from Jay that follows an open ridge and well trod herd-path to a spotted car that Spence and Brian had tended to early morning. We departed the dirt road and immediately entered the woods and uphill climb. Within 10 minutes Spence disturbed some mud hornets… Julie following got the hit!! As we headed further up about 40 minutes later we headed up over an exposed embankment filled with tall weeds that STUNG each of us!! We later learned that this was Stinging Nettle and knew immediately that this is one crappy weed to encounter. We actually called it “Sting Weed” on the trail. I thought I was getting stung and jumped out. Spence and I both had red spots/patches on our skin.

We managed Bald and some nice views along the way. Headed over to Slip through decent pine underbrush. Brian is our map and headed us around several waypoints to the summit of Slip. Looking out from the nice summit rock we could see our next goal – Saddleback Mountain, about 1.5 miles away at nearly the same elevation we were at. (I’m thinking, wow – I didn’t know we were doing such an aggressive hike today!!)

We headed down off Slip in some of the most wonderful tall hardwoods all the way into the valley below where we were privy to a large beaver dammed pond. It was beautiful. The brook where we planned water was used for replenishment and we headed up the back of Saddleback Mtn. Plenty of elevation and varying levels of easy underbush and guided by Brian’s points. We hit the summit and knew that rain was eminent. With time running late we decided to head down to the road behind us and road walk the three miles back to the spotted Jeep. This way off Saddleback is open fields on the top that head into fairly open woods. As we followed a brook we veered a bit too far right and had to make it up laterally near the final stages of “out”.

As we exited the woods onto the road a car passed. It was non-other than CRAZYMAMA!! What were the chances of ANYONE being on this dirt road at that moment?? :confused: :D :confused: :D :cool: We got a ride and took nearly an hour to pull our chins off the ground from this streak of remarkable luck!! :) (I was so looking forward to three miles on the road in the rain!!) :rolleyes:

What this did was get up back ‘home’ in time to prepare a bunch of food and take part in the ever broadening party and food spread!! Our host had at least 25 London Broil steaks that he grilled to perfection – and smiled as he laid out platter after platter of charbroiled beauties. Fresh corn and vegetables, pasta, zucchini, potatoes, tomatoes, bean salads and plenty more. This was after Hors d' Oeuvres of dips, chips, horse-radish pickles (WOW!!) Mexican rolls, and way more!! Well, didn’t this drift right into late evening cocktails and music under the large tarp shelter (thanks to the local volunteer fire department and our host’s planning). It was great to hear new talent (KenG, Alex and Kim) as well as old. Very entertaining.

Fun on Sunday morning packing up wet tents. Great time by all and wonderful people to spend a weekend with. Many thanks to Spence, Maddie, Brian and the family. I had a blast!!

Last edited:
I'm glad you all had a great time. It really sounds like a blast-I'm sorry I missed this one. What's that line from Animal House about having the doctor write a note saying you're too well to attend?

bubba said:
As we headed further up about 40 minutes later we headed up over an exposed embankment filled with tall weeds that STUNG each of 0us!! We later learned that this was Stinging Neddle and knew immediately that this is one crappy weed to encounter. We actually called it “Sting Weed” on the trail. I thought I was getting stung and jumped out.
Amateur! If you want to see some nettles, come to the Catskills! Seriously, it's painful, but it goes away quickly. Also, they're apparently very good eatin' if you get 'em early in the season.

But I digress. Excellent TR.

Matt

Amateur Sting Neddle, maybe... but I forgot to mention that latter in the day coming down Saddleback I took a couple of sympathy stings for Timmus!! Brian got hit with me, too (or he thinks I shoo'd the hornets his way) :rolleyes:

Part of the surprise was that Spence and Brian, in all their trails, had not encountered them before!! And... they so STING!!

Bubba, the official voice and threadstarter of the 2006 August barbque/gathering, thankyou. Just one question: what was that comment about old talent?

After attending 2 of these events I simply can't imagine missing one for anything other than a "force majeur". I don't know about you but I think I had fun. I'll have to wait until MichaelJ's pictures get developped from RAW to something I can relate to to see how much of a good time I had.

Nettles..HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I'm sorry, I had to do that. Hey, should of gathered some and make soup.

As Matt says, I think somebody from the catskills must of carried some up there and planted them!

Do you remember at what elevation did you encounter them, and was it in a fairly dark and wet spot? In the catskills, they usually grow around 2000ft-~3000ft and spots that are typically sheltered from the sun and typically wet.

Jay

Jay H said:
Nettles..HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I'm sorry, I had to do that. Hey, should of gathered some and make soup.

As Matt says, I think somebody from the catskills must of carried some up there and planted them!

Do you remember at what elevation did you encounter them, and was it in a fairly dark and wet spot? In the catskills, they usually grow around 2000ft-~3000ft and spots that are typically sheltered from the sun and typically wet.

Jay
They must be expanding their range, both up and North! :eek: And they are very healthy this summer! :eek: :D

Jay, they were on the way up -- probably about mid range on the 34-3600ft peaks. Smaller clumps were on the edges of the woods, but the first big encounter was on an embankment that I recall as fairly exposed. Again, on the edge of the forest. None necessarily in damp areas and certainly not dark - rather somewhat filtered sunlight.

You can have them back anytime.

Last edited:
Thanks Bubba for writing such a complete and good TR. I really enjoyed hiking (or should I say bushwhacking) with you.

And no, I still have no regrets about bailing out after Saddleback. I might keep Jay as #100... If I have the capabilities of going that far.

...and I really missed being there. Two years in a row, I miss Pete's famous folk songs. :( I miss showing up at midnight too.

I really was planning on going long time ago, but my sister passed away about 2 weeks ago and I haven't been sleeping well, so the long drive to me was not really a good idea and frankly, I haven't been much fun to be around anyway, though I probably don't show it.

I'll try to catch Teejay's berkshires gathering though... I think it fits well with my schedule...

Jay

hey bubba, great report. In the AMR there is a sign up high on the Wolfjaws trail that says DENETTLING ENDS. The club used to (maybe it still does) clear the nettles along the path. I went off the trail to pump water and get stung pretty bad, wanted to chew my leg off it was so itchy. And ten minutes later it was gone. Are mud hornets the same thing as Yellow Jackets? We recently ran into (well, I found it) a huge nest that was a 6" diameter whole in the ground. One nasty bite on the wrist to keep me company with all day. Tis the season for those devils. Damn, the buffet of bugs never ends does it?

If you weren't there you did most certainly miss a GREAT time.

Thanks for the write up Bubba, that was a great day of hiking - knocking out my first two High Peaks with someone that is so knowledgeable (or at least you left that impression) of the area was fantastic. Not to mention meeting LittleBear with "Craig in tow" (as she put it in an earlier post) to hike with, seemed like he had a memorable and positive experience as well, was glad to be part of it.

Neil, I know what you're saying about the pictures.........couple of holes as the night wore on! :D

Neil said:
Bubba, the official voice and threadstarter of the 2006 August barbque/gathering, thankyou. Just one question: what was that comment about old talent?

After attending 2 of these events I simply can't imagine missing one for anything other than a "force majeur". I don't know about you but I think I had fun. I'll have to wait until MichaelJ's pictures get developped from RAW to something I can relate to to see how much of a good time I had.

Neil in the "RAW" these should be pretty interesting. :eek:

I was thinking of all the fun I was missing this last weekend. I spent most of it huddled over a toilet bowl. Not exactly what I had planned.
Hope to make it next year.

Great report Bubba!

prino said:
I spent most of it huddled over a toilet bowl. Not exactly what I had planned.
Ah! some emergency plumbing. Yeah. My bathroom had a leak once, too. Bummer! As a matter of fact, Double Plumber Bummer (say that3 times fast)

Your's was another Phil-face that wasn't there.

Last edited:
Once again, I cannot thank Peak_Bgr and family enough for their wonderful hospitality for this event! I had an incredible time, and in spite of feeling deathly ill on the trail, enjoyed visiting another Adirondack peak and then recovering just in time for fabulous food, music, and friends.

There was rain, too, which is why I don't have as many photos as I'd have liked; however, those that I have are now posted HERE! :D

PS - coming across Champlain on the ferry at sunset was incredible!

MichaelJ said:
There was rain, too,
Rain? At a gathering? Nah! Never happens.
.... photos .......posted HERE
I think I said this last year. "Great photos. You have a good eye."

coming across Champlain on the ferry at sunset was incredible!
It always is. Best time to take it. Someday I want to take it the other direction to catch sunrise, but I suspect they don't start that early.

MichaelJ said:
PS - coming across Champlain on the ferry at sunset was incredible!

I need to do that one day.

Great pics. I was kinda worried when I saw that I had before/after pics... I bet there was some embarrassing ones you could have used. Thanks, you are such a nice guy !