ADK question - Activities with a three-year old

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowshoe

Reaction score
I am thinking about car camping in the ADK or southern VT with my wife and 3 year old. All the times I have been to VT I hiked and did things that a 3 year old could not do (at least my 3 year old who wont stay in a pack). My question is what are some things I can do in the ADK with a 3 year old. Keep in mind, my 3 year old will not stay in a pack. She loves to be on her feet or in moms arms. She does not like long car rides. She is like me ADD. We will do some very short hikes but looking for things like a zoo or kid places. Also some good car camping campgrounds. I am doing this for a few days in Mid Aug. I asked the same question for s. VT in the NE thread. Trying to find out what area is better for young ones. Thanks

I would think camping in South Meadows and hiking Mt.Jo, and possibly Marcy Dam. Maybe a drive up Whiteface with some walking up top.

There are a lot of DEC campgrounds with sandy beaches in the Adirondacks (e.g., Lewey Lake, Lake Eaton). Here's a link to the list: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7825.html
There's an amusement park / water park in Old Forge that my daughter enjoyed at that age (Enchanted Forest). It has an area designed for toddlers (storybook characters/settings) and a petting zoo.

There's plenty to do with a three year old - both hiking and other fun activity.

Car camping is perfect at Whispering Pines on Cascade Road, just about across from Mt. VanHoevenberg entrance.

Hikes would include Owl's Nest (on Rt 73) and Baxter Mtn (the corner of 73 and 9N between Keene and Keene Valley). Both are easy but challenging for a 3-year old. Owl Nest, especially, provides excellent lookouts on the way up to track progress and keep things interesting.

At Whispering Pines you are only a few minutes drive into Lake Placid. There is a never ending list of things to do there - very family friendly. Add to that a visit to see Santa at the North Pole (near Wilmington) and your daughter will have a grand time!

Ask around for swimming holes to find. Depending upon the weekend, there can be horses, ski jumpers, ice skaters or many other things happening in the area.

Also, search this VFTT forum. This subject has been previously discussed.

We've car camped in the High Peaks area starting when my kids were 6 months and three years. Many, many options ranging from Roaring Brook Falls, Rocky Falls and Deer Brook to Mt Jo, Owl's Head and Baxter. The ADK Heart Lake campground is a good choice, several others in the area as well.

Plenty of other distractions as well in the area: gondola ride at Whiteface, Lake Placid, activities at the ski jumps, ice skating, etc...

My son did Cascade at age 3½. We were ready for anything, including turning around early but...

He knew we had candy bars and other treats in our packs. We were very clear. "No candy until the summit". We made up stories and told him (and his brother) that the tree roots were pipelines carrying smarties and jelly beans to the top. Next day we did part of Pitchoff and then we found a beach.

I've seen more than few very young kids on High Peaks and they looked like they were having a good time. A lot depends on the type of kid at that age. Some have an internal drive and others don't.

I think Bubba is actually referring to "Owls Head" on Rt. 73. This is a great peak and has a lot of blueberry bushes on the way up. At the top is a great view of Cascade, and it would probably take less than an hour with a young first timer. I think you should not push kids to reach the top but plan on a nice walk and whenever they are done just turn around.

AOC mentioned Enchanted Forest in Old Forge. Near that is Bald and Rondaxe mountains which are also great ones for kids. Bald has a great view, and a firetower on top.

I brought my first daughter to Ester at 2-1/2 years old. I expected to only go for a 2 or 3 hour walk, but she actually made it the whole way on her own leg power. From the ARC there are some sections that are quite rocky and she was scrambling over rocks up to her waist. I had to change her diaper on the way up too!

Well, it took 6 hours to go the ~3 miles. So plan for stopping to look at things you would otherwise never think of, like looking in every hole in the ground you see, every tree root (I love the pipeline idea), etc. So long I had to reluctantly (boy was she ever reluctant too) put her in the pack for the way down.

I would suggest camping at Rollins Pond State Campground. Your campsite is on a beach and you can swim, throw rocks, canoe, catch crayfish :D

Your also not to far from Lake Placid if you wanted to do a small hike.

Thanks,
Adam

bubba said:
Car camping is perfect at Whispering Pines on Cascade Road, just about across from Mt. VanHoevenberg entrance.

At Whispering Pines you are only a few minutes drive into Lake Placid. There is a never ending list of things to do there - very family friendly. Add to that a visit to see Santa at the North Pole (near Wilmington) and your daughter will have a grand time!

I'll add a second thumbs up for WP Campground. South Meadows is a primitive camping area with no facilities or water, things you might want to have available for your 3 year old.