Aerial views in the NE?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, this is great. I was going to ask the same question about the ariel photos but I wasn't sure how to phrase it.

-Dr. Wu

Neil - thanks for that link. Great program!

And for those wondering what it gets you... this is Lafayette summit. Yes, I do believe those are the trails!

lafayette.jpg

Bob

Last edited:
Along the same lines...

Does anyone know of a drawn map of Mt Washington (not just the summit, but whole area) that I can find online? I need it for a presentation next week.
The aerials are great, but might be too complex - I just want to point out where the Cog, Auto Road, Lakes, etc are located.

Thanks,
-Liza

Liza you can try A site called TopoZone (one caveate , If you wqant to down load a map it will cost you and what you can print is small it will fill maybe 3/4 of a 8x10 page. ) or just go to a pplace like EMS and get the Bradford Wasburn Map if you do not need to use something like Powerpoint or a slide show for your Presentation. Best of luck

HikerBob said:
Neil - thanks for that link. Great program!

And for those wondering what it gets you... this is Lafayette summit. Yes, I do believe those are the trails!

Bob
Bob, you can download elevation data and put contour lines over top of the pic BTW. Also, you can place waypoints, create routes and upload to your GPS.
Have fun!

Blue said:
Along the same lines...

Does anyone know of a drawn map of Mt Washington (not just the summit, but whole area) that I can find online? I need it for a presentation next week.
The aerials are great, but might be too complex - I just want to point out where the Cog, Auto Road, Lakes, etc are located.

Thanks,
-Liza

Blue,
If you PM me an email I'll send you a diagram I found on the web awhile back. It shows the immediate Mt. Washington area and is very detailed. Shows: Marshfield Station to Pinkham Notch Visitors Center (W-E) and Sphinx Dome to Slide Peak (N-S).

If I find it online in the meantime, I'll post a link. :)

Edit: It's a scan of Close-up Map & Guide
Maps

Last edited:
The stuff already mentioned is great!

I don't know if you were looking for satellite images or aerial views. If you are looking for the later, try this page. These are from Feb of this year but are only of Washington.

-dave-

There are some interesting Landsat 7 images available on the NASA site ... the resolution is so fine that you can even see the clear-cuts ...

https://zulu.ssc.nasa.gov/mrsid/mrsid.pl

I am working on a 3-D rendering of Mt. Washington and the Presidential Range ... complete with trails ... landcover and slope and selected viewsheds ... Is there interest in this sort of thing ? Think it would be marketable ?

Here are even more resources ...

http://eros.usgs.gov/products/aerial.html

and a really cool Landsat7 .. NED map of NY ...

http://edcw2ks15.cr.usgs.gov:8090/ImageGallery/SilverStream/Pages/pgImageDetail.html?ImageID=185

Last edited:
Neil, that is a superb site! It's much easier and faster to use than the Terraserver site. On my next hike in the backwoods, I'm going to plot some waypoints using the JDMCOX program, download them to the GPS, and see how accurate it is. I'll let you know how it works. Thanks man!

Tom

Niel, do you know how often the images are updated on the sites ? I looked at one of the area near wheer I live and it sure looks new and I can see that the guy who said he is not devloping but just cutting board timeber is lying. Sure as hell looks like a whole housing developnent going in not a selective timeber lot something I do cut timbere lots selelctivly . I sure do not make what looks like 2 lane roads to cut timber . nor do I cut 1 and 1/2 acre lots HMM I like this stuff. . If I can show he is devopling where he should not meaning wetland and he gets a huge tax break as he claims it is open space but the whole dam plce is posted . . Thanks for a cool site i looked up all my favorite place WOW! got them asapart of my screan saver slide show

Last edited: