Alpine Airplane wrecks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ralph,

So far as the Doubletop crashes go, one is directly on the property line, as you go over from Big Indian. It's on a ledge (infested with porcupines) just to your right. They chew the metal, as is typical. I understand that the second Doubletop crash (which I have not found) is somewhat to the N of this on the mountainside at the same elevation. I have a sketch-map, though I seem to have misplaced it at the moment.

Do you still feel, based on your info, that there is a second Panther crash? Please clarify at your convenience.

Best,

Ted.

Hi Ted,
I think that there is only one. Sometimes dealing with 2nd and 3rd parties on information things go awry.That's why this thread may help clarify some issues on when the crashes occurred,and where they are. Thank's for the Doubletop info_One 2 seater plane crash on Panther.

Last edited:
Anyone know this guy? Says he knows location of all plane wrecks in Catskills.

http://www.nynjtc.org/trailwalker/2002/jf02.pdf

Many Conference members know Bill
Riemus, a life-long hiker whose favorite
trails were in the Catskills. Member Mary
Sive recently visited with Bill and sends
this update:
“Bill has found a new pursuit. In September
he had a one-man show of his artwork
at the Mountainside Care Center in
Margaretville, where he now resides. His
signature medium—cartoons sketched on
five-inch paper plates. But he also works
in any medium available in the center’s
art department.
“Many of us would have had a lot
more trouble completing the Catskill peaks
without Bill’s help. He was always willing
to come out to help find a canister on
a trailless peak. He also knew the location
of every plane crash in the Catskills
and could find the wreckage without fail
with his uncanny compass skills.
“After Bill’s wife, Anna, died two years
ago, he gave up their home not far from
the Panther Mountain trailhead and moved
to Mountainside. Popular with both staff
and residents, his sense of humor and sharp
wit have helped him create a new life.
When not painting or sketching, Bill enjoys
reading adventure stories. His address
is c/o Mountainside Residential Care Center,
Margaretville, NY 12455.”

I've had help from a few old-timers in my search. I noted this when the article appeared. I have not had the chutzpah to go interview him.

My own researches go well. I have been able to locate images from contemporary newspaper accounts of the 1936 Mongaup Mountain crash, as well as an approximate location, all because I chanced into a posting by a local gentleman who was inquiring about the same matter! I hope to go over the the Historical Society and the library in the region to check the papers and other records.

Anyone want to come and visit Mongaup this weekend? It's a lovely area in any case.

Ted.

Last edited:
Vermont Crash information

I am finding that iformation on Vermont Crashes are far more detailed than those for NY. For one thing, they give the Lats. and Long. for the location of the crash sites.

Mike

Though I still don't have details. I was able to confirm the location of the plane wreck on Slide, which is quite close to the path up the E face.

Ted.

Sometimes........ when your walking in the woods, you'll come upon some pretty interesting stuff. Like this.......

crash1.jpg

A pristine 60 y/o WWII crash site. God bless the 3 airmen who died on this tragic flight.

60 y/o crash site

It looks like the c-47 (DC-3) on Blue ridge near Lewy Lake. More info is on caterpillarclub.org .

Mike

Some airplane wrecks aren't even alpine. Saw on the news the past three days, 2 small private prop planes crashed in the lower hudson/NYC area. One right on a beach on Coney island (plane stalled, pilot couldn't recover) and another went down by New Fairfield, CT, close to the border with NY just yesterday. Don't recall the initial hypothesized reason though on that one.

Jay