Announcement: Winter Gathering 7.5: 1/13-16, Barnes Field, New Hampshire

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaKroto

Reaction score
No Reading, MA Avatar: Crater Rim, Mt Rainier, 8/4
Announcement: Winter Gathering 7.5: 1/14-17, Barnes Field, New Hampshire <NOTE DATE

NOTE: THE DATE CHANGE to 1/14-17 - Whoops!
---------------------------------------------------
Ok, it's official. After some conversations with a few of the likely participants, we are moving ahead with planning this year's Winter Gathering in the Whites Mountains in NH. I've done some research over the past few weeks and feel comfortable to put this forward. Here is some preliminary info (with links in BLUE):

Gathering 7.5: Barnes Field Campground, January 14-17, 2005
Location: Barnes Field Camping Area, 6 miles south of Gorham NH on Route 16.
Facilities: Eleven Group sites, vault toilets (privies), Year round Water pump! Pay showers are 7 miles away at Pinkham Notch. We will secure up to 3 sites, allowing for 80 campers. (I will be there on 1/12)
Cost: $10 per day, per car (BTW, I have that in writing ;))(Note: those wanting to save money can park at Pinkham Notch once they have set up camp. No parking pass is required there, and no car, no cost. If you are alone on a site, it will cost you $10 per day, however - should be no problem as we will have plenty of vehicles on each site)
Hiking: Located at the base of Mt Madison, directly across the highway from the Carter Moriah Range. There are 11 4K's on the NH48 within 7 miles of the campsite (as the crow flies), including the Northern Presidentials.
Skiing: 6 miles from Wildcat Ski Area for alpine, 5 miles from Great Glen Trails for XC. There are additional Backcountry options with the Hayes Copp XC trail and the Wildcat Valley Trail - 17.8 km expert cross-country ski trail to Jackson Village, 3,240 vertical (I am planning this as a peakbag/BC descent)

I have Sean's assurances that he will be ready for barbecueing (Burgers and Dogs), BoB has signed on to help with the wood, Arm will add to the muscle, and the rest of the White Mountain contingent will heat up the valley to make us all comfortable! I hope all of you will give this trip serious consideration.

Watch out Mt Washington Valley, here we come!

If you have any questions, fire away, or contact me at [email protected]

Last edited:
Tent Sites

Sherpa -

I swung through the campground yesterday for a little recon. Site 4 is definitely the largest site and probably the best candidate for HQ. Site 2 was also large. There are several other sites that are are a very short walk in, but those might be better if we are expecting high winds or bad weather.

I will SOOOO be there for all 4 days! Woo-hoo, can't wait! I don't think I'll be ready for alpine on Wildcat yet, but I'll be XC'ing and hiking. Oh, yes.

And this year, I have my own winter tent, tried and tested. Of course, how cold could it possibly get...
:eek:

Count me in, Sherp. Though I might do the decadent thing and stay at the Joe Dodge Lodge :D

Oh yea, and I am in. Unless the Patriots are in the playoffs and I get tickets, of course.

I'm in! At least for Friday and Saturday, but things could change by then.

Kroto -- what day are you planning to do the Wildcat Valley Trail? I'll probably be treating this as a skiing weekend. Would also like to ski Moosilauke.

Mark

Tramper: You are forgetting the Weeks.

Mark_151: I'm leaning toward Friday for the Wildcat Valley Trail as I'm planning to climb up via the Polecat trail. This will all depend on my finding other musch better skiers (Dave? Brenda? Audrey?) to get me up and over safely :)

Hmmm, "KROTO-FEST," sounds interesting... might have ta drop in if it means getting a chance ta see Sherp work the stix, esp. in alpine mode. But last time i was at Wildcat on MLK weekend (2003), it was -28 w/ no wind, BRRRRR.

SherpaKroto said:
Tramper: You are forgetting the Weeks.

Mark_151: I'm leaning toward Friday for the Wildcat Valley Trail as I'm planning to climb up via the Polecat trail. This will all depend on my finding other musch better skiers (Dave? Brenda? Audrey?) to get me up and over safely :)

Thanks -- I feel a Cough, Cough cold coming on for that Friday. Might have to call in sick to work and come up Friday!

I'll be aiming to be there for the weekend days. I'll probably "commute" from home though since it isn't that far.
-vegematic

Winter is a tough time of year for me, I have to keep the mall open with snow/ice removal operations and the inherent problems the cold brings on in a mall :) But I'll be up for one or two of the hikes.

Tony :) :cool:

I'm in. Many thanks to all who are orgainizing.

Patriots have either the Sat or Sun play-off game (Divisional) WHEN they make their Superbowl run. I just hope we have all recovered by then from the Red Sox victory parade.;)

Peace.