Another couple of rescues over the weekend.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Certainly not advocating being ill prepared - be it gear, food, or checking the Higher Summits Forecast -BUT- I can't help but wonder if the very mild winter we are experiencing here in the Boston area is catching people off guard when they head north and are perhaps not expecting such a sharp contrast in conditions?
I walk to work several blocks from the T each day in Boston and have not had to wear a winter coat or hat ONCE this winter !

Kudos to the others who happened along and helped out!

Last edited:
Certainly not advocating being ill prepared - be it gear, food, or checking the Higher Summits Forecast -BUT- I can't help but wonder if the very mild winter we are experiencing here in the Boston area is catching people off guard when they head north and are perhaps not expecting such a sharp contrast in conditions?
I walk to work several blocks from the T each day in Boston and have not had to wear a winter coat or hat ONCE this winter !

Kudos to the others who happened along and helped out!

I had that same thought, but the more I thought about it, every year has the same old tired rescues. To be honest, I think your line of thinking is correct in such as, people in general dont realize how nasty it really is up there, its an overall ignorance of mountain conditions. Ive come home from some nasty trips and it was nice down south, people asked me if I had a good day, I replied "horrible conditions", they replied " are you kidding it was beautifull today" I reply " forget it".

It's been an easy winter in so many ways, I agree. How many people have said to you, "Well, we might as well cancel winter this year..." We saw 20 inches fall in Rangeley Lakes Friday night and winds so harsh the next day that most of it was blown away by Sunday afternoon!

Ski resorts have had similar problems most years with people not understanding what the mountains are like. Their advertising begs that there is snow available, even though people might not have any in their neighborhood back yards and so don't think of going skiing until they see the videos taken "yesterday." This year has been very different but for the same kind of complacency.

Count me in with those who are glad the people survived. Let's thank their "trail angels" and hope everyone spreads the word of their close call.

Last edited:
I've long believed that numbers alone don't do much to help in terms of winter hiking...if you're not prepared, then it doesn't help to go with others who also aren't prepared.

Glad the other folks were able to help.