any advice on snowshoe purchasing

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bluethroatedone said:
Re EVO vs. Non EVO. EVOs are more expensive and a tad heavier but newer. I can't tell much of a difference other than the tail length.
A potentially critical difference: the EVOs have a larger toe hole. I had to exchange my non-EVOs for EVOs because the top of the toe box was rubbing.

Doug

Msr denali's, the evo's as mentioned have wider cutout for toe.Sherpas are very durable but very heavy.the others all have bindings that will freeze if you do overnight camping.had to build an emergecy fire to thaw out frozen bindings on atlas top of the line ascents.the rachet systems will freeze if they get wet and then you camp overnight in sub zero weather.

if you plant ice you're gonna harvest wind. (GD)

Evolution of the Quest for the Best Snowshoe

1. Original MSR's lace bindings, finally an affordable shoe, winter hiking begins.

2. New set original MSR's, w/ current binding. This was the warranty replacement pair as after two years the length wise rails began to shed rivets.

3. I think this happened again and was again replaced. Made note to look for a Better Snowshoe.

4. Sherpa Mnt. Classics with lotus binding, this answer to the Better Snowshoe are hung on the wall as I got really @!%$ fed up with the inability of my foot to stay in the binding and was not terribly impressed with a torn hole in the decking. I continue with the MSR's I held onto as "loaners".

5. Foot plate on the MSR's blows out on the trail, I meet Sherpa and vow to finding better bindings for the Sherpas. About this time the Sherpa (the company, not the poster) goes out of business.

6. I find an old pair of the lace bindings for the Sherpas. My foot stays in the binding only marginally better than the lotus bindings.

7. Having decided that the quest would next travel to Atlas I find a decent sale on Atlas 1230's and hope that finally the quest has ended. Perhaps it has, I don't know, some stories never end.

I'm not sure what to say about snowshoes. I think the northeast, or at least me backpacking in the northeast is rough on them. Obviously I'm impressed with the unused Altases. However at this point I want to be impressed. I envy those that found it with their first pair.

Umsaskis said:
Make sure the material that attaches the snowshoe to the frame is durable, like a hard plastic as the Tubbs and many others have, or a tough plastic lace like Sherpas. Beware of lower quality shoes (LL Bean has its own name brand pair) that use a softer material to wrap around the frame, since it wears through very quickly.

I believe the LL Bean shoes are still manufactured by Yukon Charlies. They were last year.

I use MSR Denali Ascent, I have had no problems, but have only had them one year. The modular approach of the tail extensions is a great idea, but is difficult to attach the tails while wearing the shoes in three feet of powder :eek:

forestnome said:
Caution!!! Make sure that the boot you intend to wear fits the snowshoe. My wife bought a pair of 25" Tubbs, but her LL Bean Snowclaw boots were too wide. The salesman said it's because they weren't made for winter boots, but rather winter running shoes. :confused:

Not sure what model or size she was trying on but, FWIW, the Tubbs Altitude series 25" shoe I bought fits everything from my trailrunners to my plastic double boots (haven't tried them with my Tevas yet!).

I have the slightly older model with the strap binding as opposed to the new "Bear Hug" binding which is a ratcheting system (see grasshopper's note). The older model is available still through Campmor at a really good price. They offer great floatation, are quite, grip well, and shed snow like a mutha'! :D

Aside from durability and matching the shoe to your size and hiking intentions, your comfort with the bindings, especially under very cold conditions and iced up bindings, is important. I'd rent a variety of models before purchasing.

With poles or no

Just want to know the percentage of people that snow shoe use poles and if you do does that apply to when your hiking also.

dropack said:
Just want to know the percentage of people that snow shoe use poles and if you do does that apply to when your hiking also.
Most people use poles with snowshoes. An ice axe can be useful if you are kicking steps up a steep slope.

Many also use poles when hiking. I suspect the two usages are relatively independent.

Doug

From experience, I am greatly in the minority that does not use poles while snowshoeing. They seem useless to me, just my experience.

When hiking (without snowshoes) I like a single pole on steep descents, the rest of the time the pole is strapped to the pack. It saves my knees from the impact of long downward steps. I don't use the strap because whenever I have fallen with a pole or poles in my hand it made it difficult to catch myself and land safely.

If you use the poles in snow, you'll definately need the baskets for them, or else they just pierce the snow.

Happy Trails!

Snowshoe Bindings

Thought I would add this as a secondary query.

I have a couple pair of wood/rawhide Maine style snowshoes that need new bindings. One has the original "cup" shaped rawhide binding and the second is an "H" shaped harnass.

Any suggestions on types and sources of bindings?

Thanks in advance
Hugh.

HughK said:
I have a couple pair of wood/rawhide Maine style snowshoes that need new bindings. One has the original "cup" shaped rawhide binding and the second is an "H" shaped harnass.

Any suggestions on types and sources of bindings?
The binding with the cup sounds like a Howe binding. (Which BTW, works as well as or better than some of the "modern" desings...)

I still have a pair of wood/neopreme flat bearpaw snowshoes with Howe bindings...

The equipment people back at my old college outing club used to get sheet nylon-reenforced neopreme (same stuff as is used in crampon straps) and cut out replacement parts from that. One could easily make a new binding from same plus some straps. I just asked one of said equipment people--they used to get it from Wilderness House (now Bob Smith's Wilderness House, right across the street from EMS in Boston). That was back in the late 70s and early 80s, so I don't know if they still carry it. You could ask around at the outdoor stores--somebody still makes it.

While you are at it, you might as well convert the H binding to a Howe (a better binding).

Doug

I use a pair of MSR Evo Ascents and bring along 8" tails for unconsolidated powder combined with steep ups and downs. They're great, even though you have to get used to them looking a little beat up underneath from periodic contact with bare rock, but they work fine.

But I have a pair of these Redfeathers that I initially bought for running, but ended up using them much more often than my MSRs. They're incredibly light, easy to stride in, have a great aggressive crampon, and the pointed tails really do act like a rudder on steep downhills. Especially for your weight (150 lbs) I think they'd do the trick in nearly all conditions. Only downside is that they have a hinge that is spring loaded, which is good in many ways, but it does kick some snow onto the backs of your legs. This never bothered me because I'm either wearing tights or some sort of winter pant that sheds this snow.

I'm wondering now how available these are, since the market is pretty dominated by Atlas, Tubbs, MSR, Cresecent Moon and LLBean. I was really unimpressed with all the Atlas and Tubbs I looked at. Crescent Moons looked interesting, but I never actually saw a real pair in a store anywhere so I was hesitant just mail ordering.

I like the basic strap bindings that are on both the MSR and the Redfeathers. These are highly customizable to a very wide range of shoes, from waterproof running shoes to heavy duty hiking boots. The more rigid and ratchett bindings seemed to have much more restrictions on boot fit.

Good luck!!

You mean 6" Tails?

Sorry to nit pick but I thought EVOs come with 6" tails while the Denali/classic have option of 4" or 8"....

With regard to the MSR plastic snow shoes, I have received negative comments from a hiker I met on Fishing Jimmy. She said that once the plastic got scratched, snow began sticking to them in warmer conditions, making them much heavier. She said she was going to try PAM to stop this problem.

So I never considered them...but there seem to be so many people here who are enthusiastic about them, I was wondering if anyone could comment.

I have had ice/snow stick to the aluminum frames of my Atlas in freezing rain, but never on the flexible fabric which makes the supporting surface of the show.

hmmm

Hmm haven't had that experience...but not sure it'd be an issue for me. Most of the time I kike in snow its freakin' cold...

I guess if all you do is hike in late spring that could be a problem...

Now remember they start out 1-2 pounds lighter than most competitors so you'd have to believe that they would pick up significantly more than that to push you to competing snowshoes.

Rent for awhile

I would reccomend renting for awhile so you can get a feel for what works for you. Many shops will apply Rental fees towards a purchase which gives you an opportunity to try different types of shoes. There are also some great demo days out there. many times you can save money also when shops sell there rental gear at the end of the season.

Remix said:
With regard to the MSR plastic snow shoes, I have received negative comments from a hiker I met on Fishing Jimmy. She said that once the plastic got scratched, snow began sticking to them in warmer conditions, making them much heavier. She said she was going to try PAM to stop this problem.
Haven't had that problem with MSRs myself.

Wood/rawhide snowshoes are very good at picking up wet snow.

Doug