Any flat water kayakers?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMTHike

Reaction score
? for those who do any flat water kayaking. How late in the year do you continue paddling on the lakes and ponds? I put my Old Town Loon away last week for the rest of the year. Anybody else still paddling away on the flat waters?

Come on... get that boat back out. You really need to paddle in a snowstorm to appreciate the full range of the activity! You should still have some time before it freezes over.

AMF said:
Come on... get that boat back out. You really need to paddle in a snowstorm to appreciate the full range of the activity! You should still have some time before it freezes over.
A canoe makes a nice (thin)icebreaker. You push the bow up onto the ice and bounce your weight. You can also collect snow (slush?) in the hull and throw snowballs at the other boaters.

Doug

PS. A thin layer of ice can make the water really flat...

Last edited:
One of the more memorable paddles I have had was kayaking during a sudden snow squall on a flat river. It was so peaceful and beautiful and totally comfy since the only exposed skin was my face.

Yeah GF...

Gotta love it! ;)

Last year this time was on Long Lake. Beautiful, light snowfall with temps hovering around 32. It doesn't get better than that.

Heading back next weekend to do a similar trip. Should be fantastic :D (just got a dry suit so that helps)

Only wish I could bring two boats...one for the lake, one for the rivers.

I just actually read that the Caulkins' Creek leanto is "gamy." :eek:

Yeah, pull that boat out again :)

Last edited:
Near year round paddling

I've paddled near the Albany area every month of the year except Feb when there was no liquid water to be found. Lakes & Ponds are out of the question come Dec. and rivers are the only options. A few days, I had to abandon planned destinations along the Mohawk and head to the faster moving Hudson. Cruising up to ice (such as in the locks) or where the main current meets bays is interesting.

Keeping dry is essential obviously, but in a kayak with a skirt on, and drip rings in the right place, you can keep dry - and as warm as the joggers. I have found neoprene gloves to be useless in the cold and prefer poly and fleece, even if they get wet.

Be extra careful with cold plastic boats as they get brittle (don't drop them!). You do get weird looks from people but you will often have the water to yourself. Enjoy the outdoors in winter - even if there isn't snow!

I used to paddle Mendon Ponds Park in Rochester in February/March (as soon as I could get access). I usually wear a shortie wetsuit and pongoes/pogos (those big neoprene mitts). Nice to get out for an hour and have no one else around.

I paddle until ice over. I put a cheap ground pad on the floor of the Kayak, under my legs for a little extra warmth.

AMF - my kayak and gear is still out and I am up for some paddling. Since you are only a short drive away from me, where would you suggest we meet for a paddleThe Maurice? :D

Still paddling.
Waited till I was on some flat fresh water to make sure I could respond.
Will probably keep paddling till about Jan. Usually once there is enough snow for snowshoeing I swap over to that.

So today...sure enough I tip over in the shallows when I was getting out.
Was glad I was dressed for getting wet. Stayed mostly dry but when it came time to transport the boats my hands quickly went numb and I had to ask the other fellow to thread the straps that we were using to strap the boat to the racks. Meanwhile I went and got a pair of gloves from the dry bag.

If I was by myself or camping I would have had to stop and tend to my hands before I could really have done much of anything.

The other fellow mentioned that though he wore waterproof socks his feet were getting chilled just the same. So next time he'll probably try some type of mukluk as I have.

Had the lake to ourselves (Lake Wentworth NH) with views of snow in the distance..beautiful sunny day temps in the 40's (?)

The various kayak clubs I've been involved with in eastern NY, paddle year round on Fish Creek, connected to Saratoga Lke. Most of it never freezes.

I went out on the Hudson River from Hudson Thanksgiving morning, 8 am. Mild weather, sun burning through the fog. In the distance I heard a fog horn, faint at first then closer and closer.
You know...OMMMMMMM. The sound really carried.
I stayed clear of the channel. Finally a huge shape appeared. It was the bulk carrier UBC Baton Rouge, 154 meters long, one of the largest boats I've seen in the Hudson. It was so big it seemed to tower over me. Very cool sight.