Yup, its miserable up north too

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I headed by Wildcat today and saw the lot had some optimists, or people who were in town no matter what who decided they might as well give it try. Temps have been above freezing at night so no snowmaking. There is little or no trace of snow down low and my trips in the woods this week have revealed an extended stick season with the addition of wet and muddy trails where water bars were washed ou and some frost remains int he ground to breed mud. I have seen and heard reports of washed out trails including an RMC bridge on the Beeline. The state has done triage on the local roads and is now trying to fix them to survive the rest of the winter although there will be lot of new pavement needed. Dolly Copp Road that accesses Barnes field has been closed, but the state is working on it today. Reading the various trail reports it is probably a great time to get some winter summits with no snow pack but be aware that most reports say there are still enough wet ice patches to make for slow going and worn microspikes. Proceed without traction at your risk. My usual cynicism for commercial weather forecasts during tourist seasons is in place. The Christmas weekend forecasts were perfect until last thursday and the forecast of partly sunny Christmas Eve and Christmas were way off. The same optimistic forecast for New Years Eve and New Years day is currently being rolled but I am starting to hear the normal qualifiers. In my 30 plus years up north, winters like these usually hang around until late January. I hope I am wrong but guessing its the new normal.

I headed by Wildcat today and saw the lot had some optimists, or people who were in town no matter what who decided they might as well give it try. Temps have been above freezing at night so no snowmaking. There is little or no trace of snow down low and my trips in the woods this week have revealed an extended stick season with the addition of wet and muddy trails where water bars were washed ou and some frost remains int he ground to breed mud. I have seen and heard reports of washed out trails including an RMC bridge on the Beeline. The state has done triage on the local roads and is now trying to fix them to survive the rest of the winter although there will be lot of new pavement needed. Dolly Copp Road that accesses Barnes field has been closed, but the state is working on it today. Reading the various trail reports it is probably a great time to get some winter summits with no snow pack but be aware that most reports say there are still enough wet ice patches to make for slow going and worn microspikes. Proceed without traction at your risk. My usual cynicism for commercial weather forecasts during tourist seasons is in place. The Christmas weekend forecasts were perfect until last thursday and the forecast of partly sunny Christmas Eve and Christmas were way off. The same optimistic forecast for New Years Eve and New Years day is currently being rolled but I am starting to hear the normal qualifiers. In my 30 plus years up north, winters like these usually hang around until late January. I hope I am wrong but guessing its the new normal.
Thanks PB. A grim report indeed.

Question: Is it even fair to claim a "winter" ascent under these conditions?!? Methinks NOT!

I was trying to continue making and flagging a bushwhack route up Boundary Bald Mtn (just outside town) this past weekend, with plans to camp Saturday & Sunday nights. 2 weekends ago (Dec 16-17) we had probably 12-18” of somewhat consolidated snow so I was on snowshoes. This past weekend...

I’d rather have snow. So tired of all the water. Every hike this year has been a slog. Seriously, every hike has involved a lot of water and wetness everywhere, even in the backyard.

Please tell me someone just didn’t mention running out of flag tape. That’s a joke…right

I have never lived in the NW, but folks have told me that this type of weather is pretty much the standard between the coast and the Pacific Crest range for several months of the year.

A darn good reason not to move permanently out the NW ;

I read the current El Nino means warm and wet for New England. And I expect damp Winters down here on the NH seacoast.

But according to my wx app it has not been below freezing in Twin Mountain for a week!

The traffic cams I check out show bare ground in northern NH and VT. Might as well head to FL.

Give it 24 hours and the overnight temps will be below freezing. Snow guns will crank up and the ski resorts can salvage at least part of the holiday weeks.

On a non hiking note, I havent run my indoor wood boiler continuously this month, my cold climate minisplit is hard to beat for heat with these mild temps and "free" power from my net metered solar account. I expect to crank up the boiler soon enough. but its nice to take a break.

At this point it is much like mud season where one might actually be doing more damage to the trails rather than giving the whole game a rest.
Yes indeed. There are a lot of trails up north that should be left alone right now. It only takes a few footsteps to destroy steps/waterbars/etc., as well as kill off moss and vegetation in these conditions.

It’s gross out so time for indoor and around the house

It’s gross out so time for indoor and around the house projects.
So true for me, and I'm on blood thinners for a recent small pulmonary embolism (Dr. says to wait until spring for any serious hiking). You should see how great my house is starting to look! When I walk in, I sometimes think I'm in the wrong place!

So true for me, and I'm on blood thinners for a recent small pulmonary embolism (Dr. says to wait until spring for any serious hiking). You should see how great my house is starting to look! When I walk in, I sometimes think I'm in the wrong place!
This might need to be in the making lemonade thread!