any snow left out there?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a snow survey on Monday out "west"...Sagamore Rd had 15", with the rest of the area having about 18" or so...that was before the rain..

Yesterday, my "north" route had about 12 to 14" (Minerva-Newcomb-North Hudson), with 21" at Tahawus....after the rain.

hope that helps!

Go to the link below for more info....

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/nerfc/snow_ice.shtml

We climbed Cascade and Porter today, Jan. 10, wearing stabilicers non-stop. The trail is packed hard and quite bumpy. Likely Tuesday or Wednesday a lone hiker under much warmer temperature punched deep his way to Cascade summit. We carried crampons and snowshoes, crampons were never needed and the very bumpy condition of the trails would have made using snowshoes a real pain. It will need at least a foot of snow to cover the mess. The whole summit of Cascade was totally free of ice and snow. In the woods but for a few places there is about a foot of whitish stuff left. When by mistake we stepped beside the center tracks we would punch through the crusty snow.

Brooks and river still higher than normal but have gone down significantly. Trail was muddy in places, actually it was mcuh like mid-April conditions!

How does the Lake Road at AMR appear, does it look to be skiable? I'm thinking of skiing the road and testing out my sled on sunday... I hope there is snow to ski or perhaps at least to pull the sled somehow...

Jay

It's 9:30AM, I will be leaving for Peggy O. winter camp in about 20 minutes, likely to play cards till Sunday and it's above freezing and pouring... water not snow! Cold tonight... maybe... bring skates with canoe!

imarchant said:
here are two good resources to check. Of course not as good as first hand reports.
interactive snow depth
NE USA map

The interactive map.... ;)

You found it!! Great!

Some of the stations I go to are on that map....I provide ground truth data for those stations...

Try zooming in on Northwoods Rd, Minerva and see the comparison of actual data and the map data...If your'e into that kind of thing there's all kinds of data, layer temp, flux, etc....

once you get used to navigating around, there's a wealth of info.

woof!

Updates, Please!

Let's hear it! How good is the snow on the Mr. Van Trail? Upper Works? Anybody got the latest?

Thanks for the snow maps, too; just checked 'em again.

Gonna be out there soon..., wanna see those totals rise....