Attempt on Wildcats and Carter Dome, 1/17/2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
January 17, 2009: Attempt on Wildcats and Carter Dome

Trails: Lost Pond Trail, Wildcat Ridge Trail

Summits: None

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue), KevinMac, Enapai (Dave), and me

We met at the Pinkham Notch Visitor Center approximately 7:30am, spotted the truck at the trailhead lot for the Nineteen Mile Brook Trail, geared up and set off on the Lost Pond Trail. The plan was to hike a traverse of Wildcat Ridge and then follow the Carter-Moriah Trail over Carter Dome to Zeta Pass, and then take the Carter Dome and Nineteen Mile Brook trails out to the waiting truck. Things don’t always go as planned.

We hiked the Lost Pond Trail from PNVC to the junction with the Wildcat Ridge Trail as planned. Then, instead of stopping to add crampons for the climb we all just continued planning to add them when they were needed. Roughly 300 to 400 yards into the WRT I managed to take a fall and dislocate my right shoulder. This was the third dislocation since last April. I knew how to get it back together but first needed to relax the muscles. This proved difficult. After roughly a half hour of trying I suggested the others should continue with the hike and I would make my way back to PNVC. I took some pain medication, Sue helped me back down from the steep section we had climbed, she went to catch up with the others, and I headed back out. Along the way I realized a pinched nerve was also involved (similar to the April fall) and needed to make frequent stops to relieve the resulting discomfort. I could walk around forty yards and then would stop. Each time, I planted my hiking poles in the trail in front of me and bent at the waist placing my chest on the poles for support. I would also allow my injured arm to hang limp. After some research I found this approach to be very similar to the “Stimson Method”, which relies on gravity to allow the shoulder to self-reduce. This position was very comfortable and helped me to relax the shoulder muscles. Finally, roughly half way past Lost Pond I was able to get my shoulder back together. The pain meds kicked in and things were generally under control.

The others continued with the hike but due to time lost with me trying to get things back together they decided to call it a hike after reaching Wildcat D and came back out the way they went in.

A couple hours were needed to make my way back to PNVC where I planned to wait for the others. I had what I thought was a quiet corner in PNVC. A little before 1:00pm a number of families hit the place with at least twenty kids in the four to eight year old category. The quiet I was enjoying was gone. So, it was time for me to leave. As far as I knew, the others were to exit via Nineteen Mile Brook Trail, which was also where my truck was parked. So, I grabbed my things, walked out to Route 16, and headed north. In a couple hours I was at the trailhead enjoying the Celtics game on the radio. Then the phone rang. The others were at PNVC looking all over the place for me. I never imagined they would double-back on the hike.

Sue suggested I wait for them to come for me. I already had the key in the ignition and normally drive with my left hand. There was no reason why I couldn’t just head for PNVC, which I did.

Dave headed back to Vermont and Sue and I waited for Kevin to come out of the woods. He was slowly making his way back and enjoying the terrific day. Once we re-grouped it didn’t take long to pack and head south. We hit the Exit 6 Park & Ride at approximately 6:30pm.

Tough day.

:(

BigEarl, I am very, very sorry about your shoulder. I hope it doesn't take too long to feel better, and I hope that you're back on the trails soon. Hang in there, I'm sure it's frustrating right now.

That sounds like a day that is starting to challenge the "a bad day hiking is better than a good day at the office" credo:eek:

The hike up from lost pond can be a nasty one in winter, just the right mix of ice and snow. I usually run fairly dull crampons due to all the rock hopping I do, but that is one route that deserves sharp points. Did the snow covered ice get you or some other combination?

I expect you are real good by now at estimating your recovery time and hope to see you out soon.

I hope that you're back on the trails soon.
Thanks, I will be. ;)

That sounds like a day that is starting to challenge the "a bad day hiking is better than a good day at the office" credo:eek:

The hike up from lost pond can be a nasty one in winter, just the right mix of ice and snow. I usually run fairly dull crampons due to all the rock hopping I do, but that is one route that deserves sharp points. Did the snow covered ice get you or some other combination?

It's probably more like "Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug"

I think it was probably some ice under the snow. I don't wear stiff boots and kicking steps is tough.

It was my own fault - should have had traction on.

Assuming I get through the remainder of the week "clean" I plan to be on the trail this weekend. After all, it's not like I took out a hip or a knee. :rolleyes:

I don’t visit here much, so I was happy to see a post from my ‘sponsor’, until I read it! I’m sorry to hear about your shoulder problems. I hope you’re healed soon.

Last edited:
Geez, Earl!

And here I was thinking you were invincible! :D Is it the same shoulder you keep messin' up? Probably a dumb question.

Best thing for a bad shoulder: stay off of it! :)

I know you, you'll be back out there this weekend!

KDT

Earl, here's to a full recovery. I know this won't keep you off the trails very long. Besides, what's a bum shoulder compared to a repaired heart?

I think in describing you I would say that you were 1/2 determination; the other gristle. You are one tough fellow.

Rest & take good care of yourself! The trails will miss you!
(As well as me and many other VFTT folks who really enjoy your TRs!):)

Rest & take good care of yourself! The trails will miss you!
(As well as me and many other VFTT folks who really enjoy your TRs!):)

Yeah, I'll go with that. Good luck, BIGEarl, and toss off a TR from going to the grocery or something, just to stay in shape. As long as you buy food that could be eaten on a trail, it'll be topical.

Do a lot of people do Wildcat from E to A in the winter? I remember a couple of steps that looked pretty challenging if you added ice or snow.

Hang in there, and remember: Mel Gibson had to do it under water in "Lethal Weapon," so yours must have been no big deal, right? Maybe next time you could fall in the pond or something.

Assuming I get through the remainder of the week "clean" I plan to be on the trail this weekend.

This I do not doubt. With an arm in a sling you could out-hike half of us out here. Certainly me.

Godspeed on your return to the trails.

Sorry to read about your shoulder disolcation, BigEarl, but thanks for sharing how you tried to reduce it. This topic came up in our SAR training session last week, for which the two EMT's leading the discussion noted that there is little that others can do in the back-country to help in these cases. But, I remember a rock climbing partner decades ago had a chronic shoulder that would dislocate with particular overhead moves, which he would successfully reduce in the manner that you described. Good luck in your recovery.

Bill, Kevin, Tom, John, Mike, Tony, jjo, & Dr. D.;

Thanks everybody. I really appreciate all of your encouragement.

It’s interesting to me that each time I do this the pain seems to be a little less. It’s still unpleasant but this latest event was not nearly as excruciating as the fall on Avalon in April. How many more times before I start enjoying it? :rolleyes:

And here I was thinking you were invincible! :D Is it the same shoulder you keep messin' up? Probably a dumb question.

…..
Yup – same shoulder. I’m right-handed so, of course, it’s my right shoulder.

Do a lot of people do Wildcat from E to A in the winter? I remember a couple of steps that looked pretty challenging if you added ice or snow.

…..
I’ve hiked the Wildcat Ridge Trail from Pinkham Notch eight or nine times over the past four years. Usually, I have hiked straight through and exited via Nineteen Mile Brook Trail or kept going up the ridge. At least half of these hikes have been during winter, or in winter-like conditions. I really enjoy the climb to Wildcat E – usually. The views along the way are terrific.

Sorry to read about your shoulder disolcation, BigEarl, but thanks for sharing how you tried to reduce it. This topic came up in our SAR training session last week, for which the two EMT's leading the discussion noted that there is little that others can do in the back-country to help in these cases. But, I remember a rock climbing partner decades ago had a chronic shoulder that would dislocate with particular overhead moves, which he would successfully reduce in the manner that you described. Good luck in your recovery.
Dr. D., I have stopped thinking in terms of what I’ll do if this ever happens again. My thoughts are what to do when it happens again. Surgery might help address the problem. I’ve been through shoulder surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff (same shoulder), and the associated rehabilitation. It is a very expensive process in terms of money and time. The rehab took a year out of my life and I wasn’t completely happy with the end result. I’m not planning to go through the process again.

In researching the topic I found three approaches to self-reducing that can be accomplished without assistance from others. The method I used was essentially the Stimson Method. The Kocher method can be done prone or standing. A third approach described in a document from the Canadian Journal of Rural Medicine as “Self Reduction in the Back Country” also seems very interesting. I'm looking forward to giving it a try. The document includes links to a number of illustrations that are very helpful. These are three different approaches that require no assistance. I believe a modified Milch method can be used in the back country with assistance as well.

My experience seems to show the key to success is relaxation and control of pain. There’s a tremendous level of stress and pain when this happens. Controlling both is necessary. Based only on personal experience, if the injured individual can relax, really relax, there seems to be a good chance for success. I have found relaxation also relieves pain. If others are around it is important they all help in achieving this relaxed state – or move away.

My experience seems to show the key to success is relaxation and control of pain. There’s a tremendous level of stress and pain when this happens. Controlling both is necessary. Based only on personal experience, if the injured individual can relax, really relax, there seems to be a good chance for success. I have found relaxation also relieves pain. If others are around it is important they all help in achieving this relaxed state – or move away.

Trying to get the injured to relax is exactly what we are constantly told to do by our SAR leaders. My old rock climbing friend used tactics similar to yours for reducing his shoulder dislocations, but eventually quit rock climbing and took up flying small planes; we flew his Cessna 180 along the California coast in December, but he controlled the take off and landing. :D