Bad news from the Cog railway

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When you think about it some, is it really so bad that "we" as hikers are restricted -- even in this back-handed fashion -- from a small area? Nearly every other user group in the Whites is severely restricted from most or at least much of the WMNF. This isn't really a restriction to hiking, either, it is just a parking restriction. "We" can still walk over nearly every square inch of the place.

"Available" is a funny word. Should "they" clear even more lots to shorten your hike? Remember, these lots were once pristine, even "doitright-NY"-quality woods! Should snowmobiliers who pony up be allowed on all available trails? I sure hope not! Hunters pay a healthy license fee -- should they be allowed every available inch of ground to practice thier craft?

Again, "we" are still allowed virtually unfettered access to a really great and huge place for nearly no expense. The nerve of those b@St@rd$!

Sherpa John said:
It truly is a shame that we cannot drive to said lots to park and embark on our great adventures into the mysterious wilds. And why? because of Man's machines whether they be of historical signifigance of of noisy hindrance. ..."
And don't forget that ubiqitious, noisy, polluting "man's machine" that we are all addicted to and is at the true center of this controversy: your very own car.

PS to rondak46: do you mean that the adirondaks are about due for a yellowstone-scale fire?

Or that you and "doitright" NYers don't use wood and paper? :confused:

Last edited:
Originally posted by agfa_bob

it's not too much of a stretch to call him "mean-spirited."

Maybe I am a bit "Mean-spirited" when it comes to the cog, remember I had just started this thread minutes after getting off the phone with a very angry sounding lady. I hike in this area often, two or three times a year from Base road or Mt Clinton rd and this is not the first time I've had the feeling that they don't like hikers. The first time was in 94' after a wonderful 4 days in the Presidentials, I came down the Jewell trail after a ranger warned me how icy the Ammo was, I didn't have crampons so I ended up hiking out by Base station. It was a hot day and I decided to go inside to get a cold drink. I was quickly hustled outside when they saw I was wearing a pack. That's when I got the impression they weren't "hiker friendly."

It seems like if the state is plowing Base road there should be some provisions for plowing a section of the Ammonusuc ravine trailhead.

Anyone know how much snow is in the Ammo parking lot? If I am feeling obstinate enough some day, I may bring my plow up the 2 hour drive and plow it out myself. I don't know if it's legal but it seems it would be worth the smiles I would get from the posters on this board! :D

Hi,

I am always in favor of landowner and their right to use the land as they wish. But they may not have as much rights as we think due to how they obtained the land. I am not a lawyer but here is a link to an article about the Mt. Washington road http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/7346.0.html. Do they have to operate in the best interest of the public? If yes they may need to allow hikers to park? Any lawyers out there???

Mark

Mark Driscoll said:
Do they have to operate in the best interest of the public? If yes they may need to allow hikers to park? Any lawyers out there???

The article refers to the Auto Road (Pinkham side), not the Cog RR (Crawford side). I would guess it would only apply if the Cog was granted similarly.

Possibly the "angry" response you got was due the the dawning realization that their "grand plan" to turn the cog into a ski area is not going to work out. People pay to ski in a variety of terrain. Not $25.00 a run on one piste. "Better to be off piste than piste off". BC Rules
:D :D :D

It's $25 for a single ride and $59 for an all day pass according to their website as soon as the conditions are good enough.....I wonder if you could pay the $25 to park or if there would be a time limit? Somebody else brought this up. Would it be worth it to hike one of the premier trails in the Whites?

Posted by RoySwkr
I believe that someone said the gate was locked.

It was last year too but it was plowed to the gate allowing parking for 5-6 cars in the driveway part. I wonder why this hasn't been done this year.

I wonder if a grassroots effort to contact the District Ranger or Forest Supervisor (who in fact are supposed to work for the public benefit) might be more efficaceous than butting heads with the Cog Railway.

Good suggestion Roy, I went to their Forest road status page and strangely enough Base road isn't listed at all this year.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/white/roads_status.html
On the contact us page the e-mail address came up as [email protected]

RoySwkr said:
I wonder if a grassroots effort to contact the District Ranger or Forest Supervisor (who in fact are supposed to work for the public benefit) might be more efficaceous than butting heads with the Cog Railway.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

I called the Ammonoosuc Ranger Station earlier today and was told they (the Ammonoosuc district) do not plow trailheads. They don't have a plow. They out-source the plowing at their own Ranger Station. Okay... I understand that. Now how about using a bit of the parking pass money to contract the plowing of a parking lot. (pretty radical stuff, huh?)

As stated last week, a hiker parking issue is not a Cog RR issue and has even less to do with many of the anti-Cog messages stated.

I drove up the Base Road on Saturday after doing T/F/W to check out the parking situation. It was late (about 4PM) and very quiet at the Cog railroad station. The only vehicle there was a large RV van parked close the building - presumably either belonged to Cog or an employee. I could see no activity anywhere.

As for parking at the Ammo trailhead - the gate was closed, and there were a few fallen branches between the highway and the gate, but as previously noted, room for 5 or 6 vehicles which would be well off the pavement.

At this point, there seems to be mostly smoke coming from this thread. I'm unconvinced anything has really changed in terms of hiker parking ...

NHGal said:
The article refers to the Auto Road (Pinkham side), not the Cog RR (Crawford side). I would guess it would only apply if the Cog was granted similarly.

From the little bit of reading that I have done on the Cog it did say that they went to the state for permission. If they were given the land with the same stipulations as the Mt. Washington toll road they may not be able to keep hikers from parking.

cog

I have to say honestly some people on this thread really have no clue. Just because you can hike up Washington,what right does that give you to chastise other people for being there? hello Washington is a cake walk, dont let your ego get the best of you because youve hiked it ok?
another dude wants to pay 25 bucks for a park to do the Ammou? Look do what you want, rave all you want, get a life if you can. Ive climbed in the Whites for over 20 yrs and this has never been an issue with me, yes Ive done the Ammoou and Id go do it tommorow if I wanted to, it can be done, take some of your bitchin evergy and walk to it.
The Cog and the auto rode are part of what makes MT. Washington Mt Washington, if you dont like either find another mountain, Ive ridden the Cog, loved it !! driven the Auto road, loved it!!! And when a tourist on Washington stops me to ask questions, say hello, or ask me to take thier picture, Im glad to do it.
BY the way I have hundreds of ascents of Washington, stopped counting at 300 or so yrs back, so I know the mountain, its like anything in life, if you dont dig it, dont go on it.
The Cog has been there for over 130 yrs, theve staked thier claim, Ive talked to many of them over the years, Ill let you in on a little secret ;)You think the Cog is stupid, they think hiking up a mountain is stupid, so maybe your closer to the way they think then youll know.

Sierra!!!

You rock my world!!!

Keep on Rockin' !!

I love the truth for it shall set us free!!!

Happy New Year!

Inge :D

well said, indeed!

bravo! bravo!

Last edited:
::scratches head::

Is it snowing in Southern, NH yet??? NOOOOOOO!

BOOOOOOOOOOO :mad:

I think one of us viffters should try to get a job working for the Cog. Wouldn't it be a trip to see SherpaK (or possibly Mr. X) at the helm, chugging along. We might be able to start parking there with the approval of a head nod from an insider.

Apple Sauce and Orange Juice!

A ranger of the National Forest has responded to my question of why the Ammo lot won't be plowed out. He said:

"The parking lot in question was not designed for winter use. The lot subsurface is will not stand up to winter plowing. If we remove the snow, the pavement will be damaged by the cyclic freeze/thaw action that occurs in this part of the world. The other factor that I have to deal with is a matter of time and efficiency. We have a very full plow schedule. A 4 inch storm amounts to a 12 to 14 hour day for our plow crew. We have never plowed the Ammo Ravine parking lot for the reason I stated above.
We may need to make changes or improvements in the future. Perhaps you could arrange for a ride with AMC, there are people leaving from the Highland Center daily to ride the Cog Railroad..... I realize that's not a complete remedy, given the weather conditions that may exist while you wait for a ride."

Quoted by Mr X
I think one of us viffters should try to get a job working for the Cog. Wouldn't it be a trip to see SherpaK (or possibly Mr. X) at the helm, chugging along. We might be able to start parking there with the approval of a head nod from an insider.
;) ;) :) It may come to that.

Posted by Arm
mount washington is over-rated ... there are much better places to hike in the northeast
Is not! :)

So I'll read all the post later on the bus but it seems that if I want to go up the Ammo or Jewell without walking miles to get to the trailhead, my options are:

Pay $25 for lift ticket/train ride & fail to show at train
Pay to ride AMC Shuttle from HC
Find a skier who are willing to drive me up for a few $ towards their all day pass.

Since USFS owns lot & State plows Base Road (I think) appears we are out of luck other wise.

I don't see how the train is going to economically profitable so I'd think they would consider parking, 3 or 4 passes of the plow can't cost that much & if ten cars park there Saturday & Sunday that's $100 a weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.