Baxter Trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torn&frayed

Reaction score
I don't see many trip reports or trail conditions from Baxter State Park. The last time I went to Roaring Brook in June, the trails to Chimney Pond and beyond were closed due to snow. I'm going back in 2 weeks.
Please tell me the trails are open. Anybody know?

Thanks,
Willette Brothers plus The Rookie.

Check the Maine trail conditions section... there is recent info on the Coe, OJI, and Brothers area. I have also heard from a reliable source that Hamlin peak is still not open. Baxter peak is open on the Abol Trail. Things should all be open and fine 2 weeks from now, but this weekend might still be hit-or-miss.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Any relation to Greg and Vickie W. in Exeter? Old friends of mine...

Who could that reliable source possibly be Al? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: hehehehe

If you want the latest trail conditions from the belly of the beast call BSP 207-723-5140

I called them today, they said Abol and something else (sorry I forgot what it was) is open and that the North Basin (Hamlin) side is still closed off (roaring brook is also closed.) They also advised that there was deep snow on the Brothers and that snowshoes should be brought with you if you plan on doing all the 4 NEHH peaks.

Of course this is all rapidly changing, and for all we know could be completely different tomorrow. Give 'em a call :) Baxter peak is however open if thats all you want :)

Last edited:
About 10 years ago I was there in late June and some trails (North Brother mainly) were still closed. They reopened later in that week. More recently there were still snow fields on southern exposures of Katahdin but all trails were open. I suggest a plan B but am optimistic that the trails will be open ... you see, I'll be there the week after next and Pamola offerred me a choice, closed trails or blackflies.