Crawford Notch Detour

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.dot.nh.gov/news-and-media/temporary-closure-route-302-crawford-notch-state-park
I had to look up where the Hart's Location Town office is located, it appears to be just north of Notchland Inn and the Davis Path parking lot. Looks like access to Arethusa Falls, Dry RIver Trail network, Webster Cliifs Trail, Ethan Pond Trail and Willey from the south are no longer accessible by car. My guess is the many ice climbing routes accessed from Crawford Notch are also not accessible. The notch from the north is gated at Elephant Rock just south of the Highland Center, my guess is the Webster Jackson trail parking along the highway may not be accessible due to driver not believing the signage turning around.

I have not seen any good photos of the actual extent of the damage, but in limited shots it appears that bridge over Bemis Brook appears intact, there are some houses north of there so I expect there will be some type of access installed but probably best to avoid the area. If the bridge deck and abutments were not damaged repairs usually go far faster than if the structures were damaged as was the case with the Sawyer RIver bridge after Irene.

Govenor Sununu was up there looking things over. The DOT guys were knee deep in the flowing brook, looked like awful grueling work.

the state put up a sign yesterday by the highland center heading east that the road was one lane somewhere beyond it. I assume down toward Bartlett.