Bean's snowshoe-skis?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Karhu clones

These things look like the Karhu Metas. Check them out on their site. Skiboards.com sells the Karhus. I saw a pair on eBay recently cheap. I haven't found a whole lot of feedback on them and I've been looking for a while. Some people don't like the idea of the permanent skins on the bottoms, but other than that, they are kind of like the shorter skiboards. I haven't seen a pair in person yet.

I rode a pair of the Bean 130 a few times last season and hated them. I bought a pair of kahru meta(120cm) for shims and grims 2 weeks ago. A New Boston NH based ski shop had em for $95. Im not much of a skier so I just wanted somthin' cheap to play with this winter(I was also lucky enough to get the last pair they had :D ) I know two people who swear by the 120cm over the 130 as far as turning is concernd. I will say that the whole climbing thing is overrated. Snowshoes are WAY better.

yipyip :cool:
Chad

Metas

Chad, I was thinking of getting a pair to use as a cross between cross-country skis and snowshoes for moderate terrain-no real climbing. Do you think they would work for that?

TomD said:
Chad, I was thinking of getting a pair to use as a cross between cross-country skis and snowshoes for moderate terrain-no real climbing. Do you think they would work for that?

They might. When you come upon steeper terrain you have to duck walk which did nothing but anger me last winter. I only used those skis a few times so I cant give a full evaluation. I will check back after Ive used the pair I just bought a few times this season. If you do buy a pair shop around. I found my pair for $95 but saw some sites selling them for upwards of $325 :eek:

For those of you who use telemark skis, do you ever have to duck walk up the steep stuff.
Thanks
Chad

cp2000 said:
For those of you who use telemark skis, do you ever have to duck walk up the steep stuff.
Extremely rarely. With good skins you don't need to.

The problem with these approach skis is that they are barely adequate as ski or snowshoes, leaving you frustrated going up or down. I think there are much better solutions.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
Extremely rarely. With good skins you don't need to.

The problem with these approach skis is that they are barely adequate as ski or snowshoes, leaving you frustrated going up or down. I think there are much better solutions.

-dave-

I would totally agree with what Dave has said here. I find it interesting that manufacturers persist on developing gear that really has no inherent functional purpose other than trying to hook customers that otherwise might not be playing in the snow on the "Real" gear.
Personally I would stick with snow shoes for going up and if you need a quicker more maneuverable way down take a look at THESE.
There are many different ways (combinations) of getting around in the woods in winter but I would not reccomend the Metas unless you really don't want to have fun.

Last edited:
skis or snowshoes?

Thanks for the info. What I was thinking about was something that would work on trails as well as off trail. That was the appeal of the Meta/LL Bean skis. I would like to be able to cross-country style ski down a snow covered road, then head off the road to camp. I'm thinking in particular of Yosemite, where you can do exactly that. I've done it just on snowshoes, but the idea of being able to ski part of the way is very appealing. I may rent a pair just for the heck of it to see what happens. I've looked at skiboards too, but haven't tried them yet-good link with good prices. Maybe I should also consider a shorter, fairly light tele ski. Is that feasible for what I want to do?

Last edited:
TomD said:
Thanks for the info. What I was thinking about was something that would work on trails as well as off trail. That was the appeal of the Meta/LL Bean skis. I would like to be able to cross-country style ski down a snow covered road, then head off the road to camp.

Maybe I should also consider a shorter, fairly light tele ski. Is that feasible for what I want to do?
Sounds like a backcountry ski might do what you want.

Doug

TomD said:
Thanks for the info. What I was thinking about was something that would work on trails as well as off trail. That was the appeal of the Meta/LL Bean skis. I would like to be able to cross-country style ski down a snow covered road, then head off the road to camp. I'm thinking in particular of Yosemite, where you can do exactly that. I've done it just on snowshoes, but the idea of being able to ski part of the way is very appealing. I may rent a pair just for the heck of it to see what happens. I've looked at skiboards too, but haven't tried them yet-good link with good prices. Maybe I should also consider a shorter, fairly light tele ski. Is that feasible for what I want to do?
Dougpaul is right. The shorty skis have very minimal glide in the cross country sense

My question for skiguy is that wouldnt the snow blades be less stable? I dont know anything about back countryskiing so am just asking. The advantages to the metas seem to be that they are short but not too short.

All in all I bought my 120's as an inexpensive way to see if I have a knack for backcountry.

cp2000 said:
My question for skiguy is that wouldnt the snow blades be less stable? I dont know anything about back countryskiing so am just asking. The advantages to the metas seem to be that they are short but not too short.
There is also the issue of flotation in untracked soft snow. As a ski has less area, it will sink deeper into the snow. (This is only part of the story--due to the ski's flex, the center will sink farther than the ends, so the center width and flex are also factors.) Stats from a pair at REI: 99cm long, 105/80/100mm profile. (The description sounds like they are intended to be used at a DH area and they come with a locked heel binding.) Somewhat less area than many BC skis. (Mine are 190cm, 65/54/60mm profile.)

Except that they probably have somewhat less flotation than a regular ski, I have no idea how well they might work off track if you changed the binding. (I've seen them used at DH areas, but have never used them myself.)

Doug

Last edited:
Same thought

cp2000 said:
All in all I bought my 120's as an inexpensive way to see if I have a knack for backcountry.

That was kind of what I have been thinking. I wouldn't be using them all that much and if I was going into the real backcountry, I'd use snowshoes since I'm not really a backcountry skier. I know a place to rent them, so that seems to be the next step.

Tom- Where can they be rented? There's been lots of caution in the threads. But I'd still like to rent a pair and see what they're like.

Rental

I saw the Karhus for rent on the website of a ski rental shop in Truckee-up by Lake Tahoe-sorry, I'm an interloper from California. The LL Bean's look like the same ski-maybe if you called them, they might know if anyone back East has them for rent.

Last edited:
skiguy said:
Personally I would stick with snow shoes for going up and if you need a quicker more maneuverable way down take a look at THESE.
There are many different ways (combinations) of getting around in the woods in winter but I would not reccomend the Metas unless you really don't want to have fun.

My suggestion on the snow blades was VERY specific. I would probably use these as a utility means of backcountry transportation in a specific trail situation. Most likely this situation would be all up (on snowshoes) and then all down (snowblades). Therefore you would be able to lock your heal down. The bindings on these skiis accept a mountaineering boot which means one pair of footware.
As I already mentioned there are many different ways for getting around in the Woods. Ther snowblade is an example of a very specific situation as there can be other specific situations. The trick is to find the combination that works for you (ability) and the combination that works for the situation (Trail and conditions).
Wether it be a Swiss Bob,Backcountry/tele skiis,AT skiis,or glissading again the idea is to match the gear to the situation.There is no one combination that will work in all situations.
I would take a look at what you think you will be doing the most of and get the gear that matches those situations.

TomD said:
I saw the Karhus for rent on the website of a ski rental shop in Truckee-up by Lake Tahoe-sorry, I'm an interloper from California.

Hi Tom - welcome! (From another California interloper and former Adirondacker.)

I was thinking the same thing about Glacier Point road and also Lassen. I love my showshoes, but watching folks glide down to Glacier point and back in a day makes the skis tempting, and the hybrid, if it works adequately for that particular route, would be great.

- Steve

Hey Steve

Hey Steve, it's me--from TLB and Yosemite. That's exactly where I was thinking of-the road to Dewey Point. Jim was wearing his backcountry skis, but that seemed like overkill for that trip. I may rent a pair at Truckee and try them out at Donner Lake. I went snowshoeing there once and the terrain is similar to the Glacier Point road. I'm going to be in Sacramento at Christmas so I'm thinking of going up there then.